• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Warfare English Dub Cast Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok, been some time since I've heard Allison Sumrall in anything. so my question is, can she cry well, because that's pretty much all Mui does in the show

Last edited by getchman on Thu May 21, 2015 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Woah, wait a minute... A Chris Ayres dub... that DOESN'T star Greg Ayres?!?

What is this world coming to?!?!?! Shocked
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused as to how they intend to make a profit off of a series denounced by everyone, their dog and the guy who wrote the source material.

Unless there really do exist people who see an anime DVD with pretty cover art and are automatically willing to drop $60 on it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I've been pretty critical of Chris Ayres after having watched many anime shows under his name that isn't Magikano but I'm beginning to have a change of heart after I started watching Leviathan The Last Defense, for the better. With some new seiyuu present, perhaps I'll be able to enjoy Magical Warfare a bit more readily.

Edit: Fixed an error. My thanks to getchman for the correction.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Thu May 21, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Ayres didn't direct Beck. That was Chris Bevins and Taliesin Jaffe
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd like a season 2 of this sometime, especially with that ending.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Alright, I've been pretty critical of Chris Ayres after having watched many anime shows under his name that isn't Beck or Magikano but I'm beginning to have a change of heart after I started watching Leviathan The Last Defense, for the better. With some new seiyuu present, perhaps I'll be able to enjoy Magical Warfare a bit more readily.

ugh I stopped watching leviathan halfway through. I couldn't force myself to watch that anymore after how bland it was. I hoped it'd get better but it didn't. it's a shame because the girls were very cute too.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I keep forgetting about this anime. Still dont know if I want to watch it or not(forgets it after leaving this page).
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I was debating whether to watch it or not but decided not to since it was receiving a lot of bad reviews. Outside the completely stupid synopsis I would actually like this concept for an anime. You know, a beautifully animated piece of work with genuine war strategies and tactics and gorgeous animation and coloring.

Still haven't found something like that yet.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
You know, a beautifully animated piece of work with genuine war strategies and tactics and gorgeous animation and coloring.

Still haven't found something like that yet.

You've seen Girls und Panzer, right? That's moreso small group tank combat tactics/strategies than general war, but it's the closest thing there is.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
You've seen Girls und Panzer, right? That's moreso small group tank combat tactics/strategies than general war, but it's the closest thing there is.

It's not as flashy though. As much as I like tactics just seeing a bunch of tanks roll around doesn't whip up my appetite as much as close combat action. The moe art style and characters don't really contribute to the suspense and plot either. I haven't seen it though, these are just what I can infer from summaries and synopses.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It's very flashy when it needs to be (see this amv for some moments of flashiness). There's really nothing to lose if you are searching for some tactical battle-themed shows to watch. I can't think of anything that tops it without going back to the space operas of the 80's.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

It's not as flashy though. As much as I like tactics just seeing a bunch of tanks roll around doesn't whip up my appetite as much as close combat action. The moe art style and characters don't really contribute to the suspense and plot either. I haven't seen it though, these are just what I can infer from summaries and synopses.

GuP is one of those things that you really have to see for yourself. Summaries and synopses do not do it justice.

That said, whole lot of unfamiliar names in the cast. Also, a Sentai dub that's not in compliance with the Brittney Karbowski Full Employment Act of 2008? What is this world coming to, indeed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this does well for Sentai because the "Series Data – Quick View" at Anime DVD/BD Sales in Japan (someanithing.com) showed that it was 454 units for the 1st vol. or the overall series avg. that much.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
With the reviews this show got, I'm surprised there are some folks willing to spend money on dubbing. Thing is, that can - at most - alter the tone of the scenes and maybe mess around with the script a bit (if the Japanese rights holders will let them, that is) to try and eliminate some of the problems in those areas. But the overall plot, flat & unimpressive animation and some questionable character interactions are beyond being saved by placing them within a dubbed version.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
@Panzer Vor, Brittney is in the Magical Warfare dub. She's listed next to Futaba Ida.

I'm more surprised that Greg Ayres isn't listed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2