• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gangsta (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Yay, it finally aired despite the delay earlier this week. And as for this episode, I thought the fight was kinda thrilling although the ending felt underwhelming. Glad to see Ginger show up though alongside another badass lady.

I feel like we may be expanding into Alex's story soon with the recent background development considering she is experiencing some PTSD-like episodes in her mind.

Also, some bromance moment between Worick and Nicholas :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Nic vs the A/0 kid!
A tied battle indeed.
That kid had skills and didn't quit.
spoiler[If Ginger didn't come, Nic would've killed that kid.
Overdosing on Celebrer]
... not cool or smart in the long run.
spoiler[Alex] is either hallucinating or being haunted..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
^ Maybe both?

Ginger reminds me of a blend of Grelle and Hanje. Smile

When young Worick finished his trick and found Nic in the alley, what did he see that shocked him into silence? I couldn't see anything more than him just sitting against the wall.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I would guess it's something to do with the Celeber drug. perhaps a relapse due to lack of money
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
So the 4th member of the city's grandfathers makes her bow, along with her schizophrenic secretary. Same voice actress as the director of the Public Security Bureau in Psycho Pass, could barely tell the difference between the two characters.

So Veronica is the girl under Big Mama's care and is likely the one alluded to by the newspaper seller. Just as well Nicolas was prevented from finishing the job by the guild master or he would probably have ended up like her.

I thought for a moment that the person looking for Alex was Doctor Theo, what with the white coat and his absence from the clinic. Question is, if it isn't the good doctor who's got business with Alex now that she's the unofficial secretary for the handymen?
MrSharingan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Really cool anime!
Dark and definitely not childish! Wink

Wonder if they'll make a second series...
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Mm, nice episode. I feel like the show does a good job at giving all the main leads their moments and the psychological thrilling feeling revolving around Alex's part in the story captured its point this week.

And "kill"? Yeah, I think the show gets that point across well with its literal definition.

Also, cute seeing more of Nicholas' past yet again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Daniel Monroe cares for his men while his men and former subordinates look up to him. Unfortunately he's under the cosh now that Corsica is intent on going to war with the objective of crushing all of the Twilights. The gang under Barry Abbott was likely the first shot fired in the upcoming war.

Ivan's contact in the police force might well be Cody since both he and Chad are in charge of the warehouse murders.

So it was the good doctor who went to see Alex. Now viewers know what was wrong with her after Theo explained what Barry had been pumping her with.

More peeks into the pasts of the two men. Viewers finally get a look at what Veronica looks like as well as how the two men forged the bond they have. We even find out how the sign language book Alex was reading ended up the way it did.

If Nicolas is only expected to make it to his 30s, he's either very lucky or unusually resistant to the Celebrer all Twilights might periodically ingest to stay alive. Considering how he frequently overdoses, it's likely both of his parents may have been Twilights giving him more resistance to the medication.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
More bits and pieces of Nico's & Worick's past.
He sure was born in the wrong family..
Nina sure is amazing for such a young girl.
Guess her surroundings forced her to excel.
Worick's dad was pretty horrible too.
I guess I understand a few things much better now.
Looks like Alex has problems of her own..
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Things are moving along nicely. I'm glad we get some insight on what the past was like for them and the city. I just hope we get to see more Alex and Nina too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Considering how he frequently overdoses, it's likely both of his parents may have been Twilights giving him more resistance to the medication.

Didn't we learn this episode that his father was one of the mercenaries who kept beating the crap out of him? His mother was the Twilight, and his father killed her.

I'm thinking he's still alive because of the good doctor.

Did Nic misunderstand what was going on between Ally and Worick because he couldn't hear/see the whole conversation?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Considering how he frequently overdoses, it's likely both of his parents may have been Twilights giving him more resistance to the medication.

Didn't we learn this episode that his father was one of the mercenaries who kept beating the crap out of him? His mother was the Twilight, and his father killed her.

I'm thinking he's still alive because of the good doctor.

Theo does not feature until the two boys run off to Ergastalum after the massacre. Nicolas is given jabs in his childhood at an absolute minimum to prevent seizures.

This is what the mercenary said: 勝手孕ませた女がはぐれだったんで...

So the translation is right in inferring the woman was a twilight, but the same scene talks about Twilights only making it up to the early 30s due to the effects of the medication on their constitutions. Nicolas in the present day is 34 AND he is warned by both Gina Paulklee and Nina not to overdose on uppers; even Doug is alarmed when he realises what Nicolas has done to prolong his combat strength.

I might well be wrong and it's a genetic trait from his mother's side that has kept Nicolas alive for as long as he has, but I've seen no direct evidence to suggest the supposed father is NOT a twilight leading a group of mercenaries.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Quote:
I've seen no direct evidence to suggest the supposed father is NOT a twilight leading a group of mercenaries.

It is not definitive, but the mercenaries attitude (why do we have a tag with us) makes it extremely unlikely that they would accept a Twilight as a leader. As closely as they worked together I doubt his father could have hidden his status if he was a Twilight. I got the impression that he killed the mother because she concealed her status, hence the reference to her as a "rogue".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
If he were a Twilight, why would his comrades be asking why they have a Twilight in their unit (referring to Nic)? I also didn't get the impression that he was the leader of the group (I thought that was the blond guy), but we don't see his face, so I dunno.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Quote:
I've seen no direct evidence to suggest the supposed father is NOT a twilight leading a group of mercenaries.

It is not definitive, but the mercenaries attitude (why do we have a tag with us) makes it extremely unlikely that they would accept a Twilight as a leader. As closely as they worked together I doubt his father could have hidden his status if he was a Twilight. I got the impression that he killed the mother because she concealed her status, hence the reference to her as a "rogue".

The series has two definitions for the Twilights, those soldiers who were drugged up to win the unification fight and the offspring who inherited the enhanced physical abilities of their parents. Nicolas is an example of the latter, the soldier who fathered him (leader or not) one of the former.

Edit: Having given in and looked at the source material, the Japanese term はぐれ in this series needs a spoiler. It's not as simple as the standard dictionary explanation. I can also confirm that the people in charge of doing the simultaneous translations for the streaming websites don't read the source material either.

As close as the mercenaries might be, there is absolutely nothing so far to suggest that Nicolas' father isn't a Twilight who has somehow avoided the registration process for Twilights and can continue doing the work Twilight soldiers do best.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm GUESSING BOTH of Nicolas' parents are Twilights to explain why he's still alive despite his abuse of the medication and in defiance of the expected lifespan of Twilights. I have no proof FOR nor AGAINST my theory nor has the show provided us with anything definitive outside of dialogue and inference. Just as well the series isn't done yet and more info for those who don't follow the source material should be forthcoming.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6