• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gangsta (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

People with more power hurting those below them. Both Nicholas and Worick being children beat by their fathers makes the theme stick out, but Alex was not immune to it. Different viewers might go for different things, but personally I like this story of Alex as a recovering prostitute, that her current problem is a withdrawal from a drug that was used to keep her in place.

I found it particularly interesting that she suffered a mental break, and that here sexuality was kind of kept separate from actual intimacy, that her dependence on it is kind of like Nicholas going using the drugs. Anime really does not often touch on this topic, and it has me more interested than gang fights and super humans.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
I do love this show. Definitely my favourite this season. And I am constantly surprised by how well the anime follows the manga. I didn't think that they'd show spoiler[Alex falling back into old habits because she was suffering from withdrawal symptoms and being so far gone that she thought Worick was just another customer] but they did.

Also, since I've read the manga so I'm able to provide some proof in regards to Nicolas' parents. Some has been said in this episode already, but I'm putting it all under spoiler-tags anyway just to be save.

spoiler[Nicolas' dad is the man that's leading the mercenaries, Commander Brown, and he's a normal. His mother is an unnamed Twilight prostitute that his father killed as soon as Nicolas was born. As was said in this episode, the only reason that he's with the mercenaries at all is because it's convenient (since he does everything that he's told) and eventually he'd be able to make them money when they'd find someone who's willing to pay enough for him.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote

A little more background on how Worick's family was slaughtered, although I'm not entirely sure if he lost the sight of his left eye from the cigarette burn or from a knife wound. It's almost certain now that Nicolas's father was the commander Gaston Brown (same surname) and that he was human but we don't know why Nicolas is still alive given his penchant for overdosing and taking into consideration the average lifespans of twilights.

The two killers in shadow at the end of episode two now reveal themselves, one is called Erika and that last scene seems to indicate Nicolas knows who she is. It looks like the storyline is about to accelerate its pace from next week onwards.

I'm not sure what to make of Worick and his motivations, he and Nicolas go way back yet he still made the comment about his hatred of Tags to Delico; I wasn't sure if it was in jest or in absolute seriousness.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Interesting episode. We find out even more about Nicholas and Worick's past. And I gotta say, that was not a pleasant one to see. Worick's father is a real jerk...no wonder he got one of his eyes shattered like that.

Good to see more of Doug in this show. I'm starting to like his personality when he is not fighting.

Also, the chemistry between Alex/Nicholas in this episode was noticeable. I'm not an expert on sign language though so I have no idea if the signs she used were legit or not lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4_Ikrux_4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I am new forums so please forgive me If I sound dumb or you disagree.

I have recently got into anime and have been on a binge for about 2 years but and I have watched sum shows with terrible English dubs and some with better English dubs then Japanese dubs.

Such as Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood and the old show and the prequel fate/zero. I am trying to get a opinion on the new show Gangsta English dub though there is only one episode out of the English I still feel like it was pretty spot on. I am still watching the show Japanese dubbed I think they are both really good and was wandering if anyone else thought it was better English or Japanese.

I totally recommend the show it very dark and the action is pretty awesome compared to most show its not as flashy but way more violent.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
personally, I think they sound great in both languages, so i'm watching it twice.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
4_Ikrux_4--

I have merged your thread with this thread because your topic really does fall under this pre-existing thread's subject matter. I feel compelled to ask if English is your primary language. If it isn't, then that's OK; us moderators just need to know, that's all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm not an expert on sign language though so I have no idea if the signs she used were legit or not lol

They looked ok to me (not that I would really know), but stiff and clumsy as would be expected. Like her "thank you" was sort of vague and incomplete, but I'm sure he understood her. I think that was just his way of saying she should stick around longer. Smile

What's interesting to me is that while the sign language book is in English, they're signing in JSL from what I can gather, even though this isn't set in Japan. At least, that's not the sign for "kill" in ASL, which is the index finger slashed forward past the raised, inward-facing palm, like knifing someone, or British SL, which is either a fist making a stabbing motion, your index finger shooting or twisting at your neck, or a palm wiped upward over your face). His sign is like shooting or an injection into his fingertip (I haven't been able to find the JSL sign for "kill" yet, but I assume he's doing it right). Smile

Many signs are the same or similar though (from what I've read, the development of JSL was heavily influenced by various 19th century European sign languages, while ASL was in part derived from French SL), with grammar, vocabulary, and fingerspelling based on Japanese of course (though like ASL, et al, it's still its own language, not merely signed Japanese).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

The Worick and Nicolas relationship is quite complicated, and not entirely friendly. It looked like Worick bought Nicolas from Nicolas' father, while Worick thought he was doing the right thing to protect Nicolas, this also hurt him as despite everything he still cared about him and being of use to his father. I think Nicolas felt like his purpose was partially gone, and it partially caused him to react in kind in possibly going a bit unnecessarily in killing Worick's prick of a father, who again was bad but was still important to him. Possibly to end the pain Nicolas planned to kill himself, Worick wanted Nicolas to suffer for what he did, and Nicolas took out what was left of Worick freshly wounded eye, likely out of his own mutual hatred.

There is some love hate relationship between those two, while it might look like they have moved on a bit, they clearly have not.

I liked how the doctor told Alex to make up for the wounds by making candy, a great way to make up for feeling guilty by doing something "normal".
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
#8:

Change of pace this episode. More information for viewers new to the franchise but with some leeway to add in the odd action scene here and there.

More screen-time for Constance and her grandmother Joel. I don't know much about the long-term effects of psychotropic drugs, but Alex's memory loss about her brother might well be key to the rest of the series.

We now see more of the shorty Cristiano boss, it looks like she runs an efficient but broke operation with her support of the Twilights. Not sure about the choice of name for her brothel though.

Casting Alex's role must definitely have necessitated a clause on singing prowess. What price the hooded teenager being the brother she's been looking for since she came to Ergastulum?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Hmm, that was interesting.
I liked how the episode explored other places in Ergastulum, including a gun shop. Lol, I think the store owner had a thing for her...

Speaking of which, it looks like she is going through some breakdown again...

I liked the thrilling feel of this episode as it continuously to establish the underworld that is part of their society. I think Alex also really needs to be more careful of herself in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

What a sweet episode. The star of the episode seemed to Alex, and it is something that it is not an action centred thing of this series. Alex's rehabilitation has been a good watch, talking to the gun shop felt great in her expanding the circle of people she knows, maybe even getting a friend.

It is not hard to see that her missing brother is that guy in the hood, it really added to make the Alex's singing one hell of a chill climax.

@ Harleyquin
Was it a brothel? I thought it was a nightclub.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 8

@ Harleyquin
Was it a brothel? I thought it was a nightclub.

That's what I implied from the comparison made by Worick between Big Mama's outfit run by the Corsicans (which is a brothel) and Bastard run by the Cristianos. Thinking back, no brothel hires singers to entertain their guests so yes it's probably a nightclub.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Pretty good action for this week's episode.

Twilight is also a force not to be messed with.

Nicholas continuously shows his skills as a fighter although I have to admit that he had quite a bit of difficulty of his own. Alex also needs develop some skills of her own imo if she wants to survive in their world. Overall, a nicely rounded episode of action though.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
That "Siblings" episode title wasn't for show. Two pairs: One featuring the Benedetto (from last week) and now this week featuring a hunter and a registered Twilight. It's also confirmed that Ivan Glaziev was the shadowy person seen in episode 2 and that he's a double-agent working for both the Monroes and possibly the Corsicans.

The episode mentioned "Hunters" and "Ermisnets", so some other faction of super-human soldiers who make a living out of killing Twilights.

So the secret of Nicolas' strength, how he got his tag and the ritual behind duelling Twilights showing each other their ranks before they begin fighting is revealed. The system appears to be:

S-E which is further broken up to 1-5.

S/0 is probably the world's strongest twilight while E/5 belongs to a new-born twilight with little exposure to the drugs. Even if Nicolas is only a B/5 without overdosing, he's still sufficiently strong enough to stall for time against two battle-hardened Hunters.

Next week looks like one of those "special episodes" which aren't part of the main series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6