• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
1) mostly moster-of-the-week series, not a continuous story -- huge drawback of this show;

2) main lad's sister is drawn having club-feet illness, which is not really that wide-spread as almost all anime suggest just become some one with fetish for that once decided it is cute and every one else copies since then;

3) the meaning of "Charlotte" title will be probably explained by the end of this project, because for now it is unclear.

It seems to be slowly moving away from the "monster of the week" format.

I believe the 9th episode is called Charlotte, so presumably all will be explained then.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks; after seeing episode 7, I have the same hope.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

90% of anime funerals I've seen only involve a picture of the dead (such is the case here). I don't know if Japan always cremates their dead or what, but it seems normal for no body to be on display.

Besides they could also go with the "crushed beyond recognition" excuse.

I have never seen an anime that has ever shown a real funeral, because a real funeral entails having the body cremated, picking the deceased’s bones out of the ash with chopsticks, and then putting the bones and ashes in an urn. I don’t know if you have ever heard of the stigma of passing food to another person’s chopsticks before, but it comes from the fact that the only time when you are allowed to pass something between chopsticks is when you are passing the bones of the deceased between chopsticks during a funeral. Also, 99% of Japanese people are cremated after they die.

This is fiction, so of course anything can happen, but the odds are pretty high that she is gone for good based on what we were shown in the last episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Well that was kinda interesting. The show went a bit with music (as I am not surprised because of an interview I read prior to the show airing that stated the series will have such themes).

As for the episode itself, I kinda like that Sala girl. She has a beautiful voice imo and seems to also have a fun personality. I find the transition of the episode from the previous two to be a bit odd though as this one was much more cherry. Yuu doesn't easily forget about Ayumi obviously as well. I also feel like he is becoming less arrogant since his initial introduction in this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Sala is the reincarnation of Iwasawa from Angel Beats.

You know, it just occured to me... This show hasn't had any fanservice, has it?
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
This show amazes me every week. Such a great mix of themes and characters.

Watching Yuu try to repay Nao for last week was sweet.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
... This show hasn't had any fanservice, has it?

I prefer a personality like Nao to any set of panty shots.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Not even the magazine scans are fanservicy. I'm not bothered by that, it's just that I bought a doujinshi today and Nao was drawn with fairly large breasts (doujinshi tend overexaggerate those). It then dawned on me that there is no official reference to how well endowed she's supposed to be.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
So after spending some time with the OP, it looks to me like we could be heading into (speculative spoilers ahoy!) spoiler[Steins;Gate] territory with this. A lot of what looks like random gibberish thrown up at almost subliminal speed is actually some rather startling information. I've found these words and phrases so far: spoiler[teleport, blindness, collapse, telepathy, How Low Hello, the unknown particle, study vaccine, transmission, 75 (or 57?) years cycle (years and cycle might not both be related to the number), summon, Charlotte, and long period comet. Also an excerpt of an article that says, "...the phenomenon go away when skeptical(?) "vibrations" are present...research published by parapsychologists in the field. Dr. Beal(?) had cheated by altering some of the raw data." There's also a word or phrase that contains the letters rrige and p, d, or b and get rou. I can't tell if that's all part of one word, one phrase or two unrelated words, but I can't parse it out at all. There's also the letter combo mors, but I don't know what I'm missing there either.] And none of this even touches the Japanese that shows up, since even if I knew the characters, I couldn't begin to tell if they're backwards, sideways, upside down and/or reverse order as the English letters are.

Because of the accompanying diagrams and visuals, it appears that we'll soon be seeing spoiler["summon," "transmission" and "telepathy" powers (we haven't had telepathy yet, have we?).] At any rate, it would appear that this ride is just getting started. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Miyuki Sawashiro! Well Sala looked interesting from first appearance only, but then everything else, Miyuki Sawashiro always gets some of the best characters. A fun little fact, Miyuki Sawashiro also voiced Iwasawa from Angel Beats. I might be a bit of a big fan of her, but it feels like she really can bring energy into the characters she voices.

Was I mistaken, or did one of the guys sound like Tomokazu Sugita?

I got the distinct impression that Nao was doing the showing of the music video and tickets thing largely to try and further comfort Yuu. It was rather odd that Nao herself is kind of avoids people helping her, or maybe getting her hopes up. I am wondering where it might lead.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

You weren't. The guy at the store was Sugita.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

You weren't. The guy at the store was Sugita.

MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

1) painkillers do not regularly expire/end/wear in hospitals; doctor make appropriate assignments and drugs get administered accordingly;

2) insane people usually administered/fed with antianxiety/sedative drugs, not painkillers; so they never behave like raving lunatics in hospitals. Somtimes there is opposite issue: patients are so sedated that they are in nearly vegetable state;

3) patients who tend to damage hospital property like pillows get things that they can not tear down;

4) even where "usual" pillows are used, they are not stuffed with feathers anyway for years already; pillows are not stuffed with anything at all, they are whole material;

5) professionals that treat mental illnesses in hospitals learn about their patients, so they would have already tried to make this insane lad to listen to his favoured band. A capella singing by the lass from this band would not make much difference to a person whose mind is so clouded, confused, cycled/hung into internal illusions to the degree that he has ceased to communicate with real world. So this naive scene of miraculous awakening is not convincing -- treating insanity is much more complex than that;

6) as I wrote before, this anime's occasional turn from silly buffoonish show to overly dramatic/tragic does not fit the project at all.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Episode 8:

5) professionals that treat mental illnesses in hospitals learn about their patients, so they have already tried to make this insane lad to listen to his favoured band. A capella singing by the lass from this band would not make much difference to a person whose mind is so clouded, confused, cycled/hung into internal illusions to the degree that he has ceased to communicate with real world. So this naive scene of miraculous awakening is not convincing -- treating insanity is much more complex than that;

I thought the implication was that she had some kind of, as yet undiagnosed, power, and that was how she was able to heal him and 'read Yuu's mind' earlier in the episode...
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
I thought the implication was that she had some kind of, as yet undiagnosed, power, and that was how she was able to heal him and 'read Yuu's mind' earlier in the episode...

"Reading" lad's mind seemed to be perceptiveness of other people's mood; some blind people do that, they are more intuitive than usual due to their brain sometimes get adjusted to analyse sounds and voices much better.

Besides, this lass has years-long history of being performer, so she can not be teenager; hence she can not have "power" by definition of this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 16