• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga, why do you think that she had Yuu possess the baseball player? Why do you think she she forcefully kicked Takajou out the window when she saw that Yuu was thinking about possessing him? She knew that his power is to steal other people's powers. She wanted him to have the telekinetic ability and she didn't want Takajou to lose his ability. This means that she knew Yuu's true ability. She likely did not want to see the singer because the singer is likely an ability user who was in the same group. She'd recognize Nao's voice, though I'm not sure why Nao would want to avoid that. Nao's behavior is erratic and in my opinion, she's not very trustworthy at this point given what she has purposely kept hidden from Yuu.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Everyone that Yuu plundered from seemed to immediately know that they'd lost their power. The baseball player seems to be the only one in this timeline that felt something happen. That said, we never saw the x-ray kid use his power after being possessed, and what I took to be the flying kid coming back into his body a moment too late to stop himself from crashing altogether, I suppose it could have been Yuu subconsciously using the plundered telekinesis on that body (do his other powers transfer along with his mind?) to stop his fall if not lower him gently to the ground. It's just not clear.

Either way, I don't ascribe sinister motives to Shun's circle as you do. Someone in that group purposely wiped Yuu's and Ayami's memory, but that seems like it would be to protect Shun, whose survival all the rest depend on. Given Yuu's dickwad behavior in the beginning, and what he proved capable of after Ayumi's death, I'd say it was wise to keep things hidden until they know he's trustworthy in this timeline.

As for Ayumi, while they can know a lot of things from previous timeline(s), it could be that X-acto Girl wasn't a factor until this one. They did try to get to her in time, but failed. Would you have liked it better had they kidnapped her before Drenched-kun even pointed her out?

Stark700 wrote:
Also, looks like Yuu's niisan is alive. Guess we'll have to see how they will use that soon. Ayumi has a chance to be saved!

I'm not sure yet she's alive - the possiblity to save her may lie in the time leaps.

Ok, so we've got "telepathy" and "transmission" this episode. I wonder what "summon" does?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure "summon" refers to Yusa's ability to 'summon' (of sorts) the dead. It's moreso a medium, I think, but I'm pretty sure that's what the OP text refers to.

As for Ayumi, I think that Shun's group should have taken moreso facilitator role. Be more involved. Don't just leave Yuu and Ayumi alone. It's not a particular hard sell to think that wouldn't need to 'kidnap' Ayumi (since the school is a supposedly an asylum from the dastardly scientists). However they should have someone observing her. Her power is extremely dangerous. They knew exactly the destructive force she could cause. And yet they had no observation on her? Pure stupidity. It's either sheer incompetence or Shunsuke planning to use Ayumi's death as a catalyst to get Yuu to steal his time leap power (asusming that Shun's apparent blindness makes it impossible for himself to use it currently) to 'change the world'.

I personally think that the ZHIEND concert (perhaps even Sal/ra's rendezvous with Yuu) was planned. It was set up somehow so that the music would bring back Yuu's memories. I think Nao's purpose was to bring back Yuu after absorbing some strong abilities, and I'd say that her erratic behavior should invoke at least some suspicion of the viewer.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
If not to save Ayumi, why would anyone need to time leap? Shun seems to be protecting users fairly well from the evil scientists. The only reason to set up Ayumi's death would be to get Yuu to take over Shun's powers before he loses them (which must be very close to happening), in case the battle goes wrong from this point on, and given that reason alone would be enough to motivate him to plunder that power. He wouldn't need Ayumi dying to convince him.

I dunno, it just seems to me like saying Okarin should have been watching Mayuri closer once he knew she was in danger. Things happen you can't predict in alternate timelines.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Okarin had a much more wealthy and powerful enemy. Ayumi had to face a girl with a box-cutter. I really don't think that having someone at the school observing Ayumi is really all that much to ask for. Do you think that's a rather impossible task to suggest of this group that founded the school and knows fully the destructive capabilities of Ayumi's power when provoked?
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Does Zhiend stand for 'The End'? Dunno, the way it was spelled on that mobile case.

Probably holds no real significance though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Do you think that's a rather impossible task to suggest of this group that founded the school and knows fully the destructive capabilities of Ayumi's power when provoked?

Unless they have someone glued to her side every minute, yeah. They did have people watching her, but she eluded them. They had people at the school, but they didn't get there in time. Attentive viewers could foresee the girl was trouble, but to the characters she showed no signs of being a psycho-killer. And unless I misremember, Mayumi didn't always die at the hands of the rich and powerful enemy. Smile

@ A Mystery: I've always thought so, although on the case I thought the I End placement was interesting.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
I thought it's because scientists usually have those terrible German accents. Zhi-end! Zhi-end of zeh vorld! I was rather unimpressed with them though. Their sound doesn't hold a candle to Girls Dead Monster. The music so far has been one of my biggest disappointments in the show.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
why do you think that she had Yuu possess the baseball player?

From what we learned this last episode it seems that in order to steal someone's power, Yuu needs to see that person's face. Yuu needed to see that telepathy dude's face before he could steal his power, he said so himself. The baseball player's back was turned on Yuu when Yuu used his power on him. Though it may possible that Nao does know about Yuu's power, but doesn't know how exactly it works. Or maybe Yuu only needs to have seen the person's face once.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
^ Some other line in the episode gave me the distinct impression that the person needed to see the light from Yuu's eyes. I assume this means Yuu cannot possess, or at least plunder, the blind.

Honestly, I think the initial bit between Yuu and Nao was the best part of the episode. As much as the plot twist is good and helps make sense of a lot of things, I also couldn't help but be bothered by how standard it all was. The idea behind the first (or, at least, earliest currently known) timeline was good, but the little mini-story of the first timeline was well done but felt a little bland to me somehow. I guess it was supposed to rely on how shocked we would be by the twist, but I wasn't very shocked.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
^ Some other line in the episode gave me the distinct impression that the person needed to see the light from Yuu's eyes. I assume this means Yuu cannot possess, or at least plunder, the blind.

Do you remember what and where the line was? If that's the case, then there are no more do-overs from here on, and that's kind of a dead-end plotwise, since Shun can't use his power himself if he can't see. That's why they blindfolded him.

Yuu only needs to see the person to possess them. We've seen him swap with numerous people whose eyes he could not see and who did not see him, including x-ray boy, the baseball player, the flying kid and many thugs. I think he only needs to see the person's face or eyes to plunder.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Rewatched a bit to find the line. I seem to have tangled up two different lines in my memory. The direct reference to light and eyes is said by Shunsuke while still blindfolded, talking to Yuu via telepathy. Yuu just makes a reference to the person's face. Though, he doesn't plunder the telepath's ability until he opens his eyes (rather than as soon as he lifts his head) which still makes me think the eyes are important for plunder, but perhaps not them actually being able to see.

For what it's worth, this also doesn't confirm that Shunsuke actually needs to see to use his powers. After all, light can still enter the eyes of a blind person, depending on the exact cause of blindness. It does seem more likely Shunsuke's blindness has ruined his power though.

All this makes me wonder if the whole blindness thing is from some sort of power burnout from either overuse or one large overexertion. Way to work an anti-masturbation message in, Jun Maeda.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Wow this was an important episode about the "past life" and how it kind of relates to trying to save for the way things. Comparing this to the Angel Beats episode of the same number, it was when we spoiler[got the full extent of Otonashi's past].

For why things played out the way they did, Nao seemed to have guessed that Yuu's power allowed him to take another's, which was why she was curious about asking him to take over the baseball player. People did not want Ayumi dying was a mistake, they could not get to her in time, but events seemed to have pushed Yuu as being able to help. Hey, they can save their sister, two brothers with such abilities they should have permission to push the laws of reality a bit and try and give her a happy life. It was not the case Ayumi already died in the original timeline, they acted because she was in danger, and in this timeline unlike the original she passed away from her power activating.

Took me long enough to think that the blindness shared by two characters might be connected.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
and in this timeline unlike the original she passed away from her power activating.

She seemed to die for the exact same reason in the original timeline
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:24 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
and in this timeline unlike the original she passed away from her power activating.

She seemed to die for the exact same reason in the original timeline

The scientist said that she was alive, but they were going to dissect her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 16