• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GATE (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Rory really was ticked that she did not get to lay with Itami.

I thought it a bit small of her to take it out on him. Had he gone for it they would have been in the middle of it when the bullets started flying.

It was odd that Itami didn't seem to pick up on the significance of Rory being in that state to begin with.
Quote:
Also kind of cute moment with Itami and is his ex.

I suspect that their relationship has progressed to a level of intimacy that would actually make it hard for them ever to be together again. She knows him pretty well. He knows her pretty well on everything except how she feels about him and possibly he knows that as well and hides it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
I see the whole US kidnapping plot nothing but a excuse of the author to put his political views to show the US Forces with a negative light since the author is anti-MDT(Mutual Defense Treaty, the treaty where in the event Japan is attack by a foreign power, the US forces will help their Japanese counterparts). It doesn't help he's also a Japanese Revisionist, a group of Japanese that want to whitewash Imperial Japan's dark past during World War 2 by claiming the atrocities committed by Japanese troops never happened(Similar to some group who denies the Holocaust or the Armenian Genocide).

Furthermore, there's some hypocrisy in the series. The Japanese SFG, which the series shown are much better than the US operatives which one of them claims to be an USMC Force Recon, in order to show how Japanese troops are better than the US. Except the Japanese SFG were first started and trained by the US Delta Force.

This novel series is old and the author is an ex-JSDF servicemen. I believe people can write books without agenda.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 11
So they introduced the dark elf into this series. Kinda interesting given the diverse races now.

There's also bits of more comedy thanks to Rory.
And based on the events of this episode, it sets up quite a bit for the upcoming arc. I'm excited to see it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 11

<sigh> It seems as though Crunchyroll's source is running behind again this week...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 10

So Rory really was ticked that she did not get to lay with Itami. Girl wants to get laid, well it looked like she was upset over the mood change too.

And the same thing happened in this episode, although she seemed to more take it out on the Dark elf, Yao, who ruined the mood for her getting him. Actually kind of funny that it was revenge by having her attack the people she wants the help of. The comments from the onlookers of the situation was quite funny that is a slow burn.

I feel like there are some things to say on terms on of Rory's adult situation. Being older than they look is not exactly an original idea, but it feels like that sort of thing is purposely done to kind of sell a loli character for the people to fantasize a technically legal kid. Rory kind of the other hand fully displays an adult character through her actions, it kind of made her sitting there drinking feel natural.

And politics, I am enjoying some politics of trying to get the people of the fantasy side to look for peaceful solutions. Pina has quite the task.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 11...

Hmm... During the wide-shot of Alnus, when Yao was on the hill looking down at it, I missed seeing the run way for the JASDF F-4 Phantom IIs. It probably wasn't there, but did I overlook it? ^^
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
During the wide-shot of Alnus, when Yao was on the hill looking down at it, I missed seeing the run way for the JASDF F-4 Phantom IIs. It probably wasn't there, but did I overlook it? ^^

Details, details. In that view it occurred to me hat a military base would not have a watch of some kind (even automated) on such a high point that had such a commanding view of the base. Of course we know that the Special Region doesn't have any artillery to use at that range and there doesn't seem to be anything to hide from a spy. It still seems kind of like lax soldiering. Any ex-grunts here with an opinion?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Details, details. In that view it occurred to me hat a military base would not have a watch of some kind (even automated) on such a high point that had such a commanding view of the base. Of course we know that the Special Region doesn't have any artillery to use at that range and there doesn't seem to be anything to hide from a spy. It still seems kind of like lax soldiering. Any ex-grunts here with an opinion?

I've already dropped this show, so I can't give you a specific response to the scene you're talking about, but generally speaking (as ex-Navy, not ex-Army): if you have a base in hostile territory, you have watches posted on all the walls and usually have patrols set up outside of the walls and also any additional monitoring equipment that can help you monitor an area well beyond the walls of the base. Ideally, you want to keep any unfriendlies from being able to see whatever is going on at the base as well as have ample time to detect any approaching force. That sort of thing is set up to go 24 hours a day for as long as the area is considered potentially hostile (which, in the case of Japan's base on the Other Side, is for the forseeable future).
Badge304

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
As of this morning, most anime listing sites have edited the number of episodes from 24 to just 12. Could be a split cour but at this time there is no second season listed for fall, winter or to be announced.
24 episodes were initially announced at the Expo, so I wonder what happened to cut it short? It's apparent from the way the anime has gone so far a longer time for story telling was planned. They are beginning a new arc with the final episode. We are really going to be left hanging with this one.

Last edited by Badge304 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Badge304 wrote:
As of this morning, most anime listing sites have edited the number of episodes from 24 to just 12. Could be a split cour but at this time there is no second season listed for fall, winter or to be announced.
24 episodes were initially announced at the Con, so I wonder what happened to cut it short? It's apparent from the way the anime has gone so far a longer time for story telling was planned. They are beginning a new arc with the final episode. We are really going to be left hanging with this one.

It is possible that the ones who licensed Gate to A-1 Pictures are unhappy with their adaption so they pulled it to give it to another animation house or they could have made them stop until they fix it.

Also episode 13 will introduce Prince Zorzal and they may not have figured out how to sugarcoat that bastard.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Season 1/part 1 finale):

So the show got confirmed today as a split cour (for Winter 2016)

I think that would work out as it gives more time for A-1 Pictures to handle the production. And not only that, the latest episode had a weird pacing with the dark elf. Pina also became more relevant (LOL, her BL fascination...)

Anyways yeah, a 3 month break. Not long until we'll see GATE again in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I will be treating it as a last episode for now, of a first season or whatever. From the beginning I have been especially happy over the prospect of this being a 24 episode series, but it is a split cour and it is going to drive me crazy waiting for the second half.

There have been some stumbles with the series, but overall I have been quite happy with it. There is a general consensus that the weakest part is the real world politics in how it maybe shows some biases. Especially in how it portrays foreign governments. But I do honestly believe that the show totally makes up for it in how it portrays the military, that part of it feels intelligent. You might say that it is too kind to the military side in maybe making it look too good, but to say I point to something like the movie Battleship, see how terrible a for the military something can be. GATE actually feels like it was giving different sides, and letting us sympathise with them.

Characters not bad either. By the end I am especially happy with Rory, which was super helped by these later episodes that explained her character a bit more. This last couple we were also introduced to Yao, and I think they really managed to make it work, and making me desperately want to see something resolve.

For a rating of these first 12 episodes, I am going with Very good, maybe a bit of a slow season, but this was one of the shows not to miss. Would probably be something I would buy physical media of, and I am waiting for the rest.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Cool, so it looks like the theme song artists from the first season will be returning to perform the songs for the second cour Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Preview for the second season/cour:

https://youtu.be/TrwXsOTWUeU
Looks good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

I think I like the new OP song, previous one was catchier at the end but this one has its own style. Quite similar in a few ways though. There's some awkward scenes with that one bunny girl. (lewd even). Pina's brother is hard for me to like at all so far.

I like how refreshing the episode is considering the revisit of the Imperial Empire. Good to see the focus on the military aspects too with the mortar.

Quite a welcoming return for the show, nice. Lol'd @ Pina this episode though. Anyways, it was a buildup so far for the rest of the season, should be fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 21