• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Deadly Games of Survival

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
If we take a more liberal interpretation of the term "survival game", I think Death Parade would have been a good choice; it had matches where the contestants go at it with their "lives" on the line, often causing physical and mental damage to each other, and to themselves.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
This list reminded me of something - Future Diary's print release is incomplete...and Viz is only releasing it digitally. I may check out the anime.

As for the others on the list, some of these have piqued my interest. Those being Kaiji, Liar Game, and Psyren. I wonder if any have been licenced (already saw that Liar Game isn't).

EDIT: Had a look, nothing has been licenced for Kaiji or Liar Game.

At least Psyren's manga has been licenced (Viz). And, they finished the series off last year. Time to start setting aside some cash in order to buy the 16 volumes. Laughing
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Battle Royale was mentioned in the intro paragraph, so I guess that is why it was left out, being one of the inspirations for the list.

As The Gods Will sounds interesting. Might check that one out.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Where is Fate/Stay Night or Fate/Zero in this list?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Where is Fate/Stay Night or Fate/Zero in this list?

dying is nto a requisite on that one so.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
As for the others on the list, some of these have piqued my interest. Those being Kaiji, Liar Game, and Psyren. I wonder if any have been licenced (already saw that Liar Game isn't).

Psyren has definitely been licensed. Viz just recently finished the series, I believe. There's no anime adaptation though. Psyren, while it lasted a while, never really caught on well enough to catch an anime studio's interest.

Azure-Wind91 wrote:
What no Yugioh? *shot*

To be fair, before the card game dominated the franchise, that WAS what the series was about. It was weird, but it was incredibly fun.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Battle Royale being mentioned as part of the idea behind the list satisfies me on that front. No Gants does seem a bit odd. Can't get much more deadly that the circumstances within Gantz. Oh well.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
I'm surprised the 2nd series was picked over the first series for 1#

no kidding. considering people liked the merry over the sunny. though this poll paints a different story.

also, can someone say epic fail on this list much? while the list is ok, to have future diary over Battle Royale is almost a massive tragedy. sure its insanely violent and have massive sexual content that would have the creator of Kite and Mezzo Forte gleeing with joy , but i really doubt it should be excluded from the list since its the same thing. a demented game of survival. the same can also be said for the earlier parts of Gantz as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When Resident Evil was released for PlayStation in 1996, many video game fans caught their first taste of survival horror.

I hope it was meant as if RE was popularizer of the genre, not that it was first survival horror game in existence, I'm pretty sure both Alone in the Dark and Clock Zero are older than Resident Evil.

Anyway, it's disappointing to not see Battle Royale among the titles presented in the list. What even more disappointing is the fact that something of dubious quality like Doubt (the most predictable garbage I've ever read, even beats Dan Brown in this regard) or Btooom! (the manga come across as an excuse to draw more rape scenes) heralded as better representatives of genre than Kaiji and Liar Game. Inclusion of those two works gives a hard time to understand why this list hasn't mentioned Gantz, sure, there was a huge drop in quality when War of the Worlds arc started (maybe even earlier), but even at its worst Gantz was better than Doubt or Btooom!.

Also, does Akagi counts? If I remember correctly gamblers bet their lives too.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
I'll just assume Gantz is #0.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Quote:
When Resident Evil was released for PlayStation in 1996, many video game fans caught their first taste of survival horror.

I hope it was meant as if RE was popularizer of the genre, not that it was first survival horror game in existence, I'm pretty sure both Alone in the Dark and Clock Zero are older than Resident Evil.

The term "survival horror" was actually invented by Capcom as part of their marketing of Resident Evil. Other games had predated it - Resident Evil itself was initially conceived as a remake of a Japan-only NES game called Sweet Home that Capcom published in 1989 - but it was really the genre-namer and the trope codifier. It also sold around 9 million copies, which dwarfed the sales of any other horror game that came before it.

And yes, Alone in the Dark and Clock Tower (I assume that's the one you were thinking of) both predate Resident Evil, although Clock Tower didn't make its US debut until after Resident Evil was already out (and that was technically Clock Tower 2 - the original was only released in Japan). Alone in the Dark is even listed in Guinness as the world's first 3D Survival Horror, but it also attracted a much smaller audience than Resident Evil. In horror movie terms, you could say that Alone in the Dark was the genre's "Black Christmas," and Resident Evil was its "Halloween."
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Psyren has definitely been licensed. Viz just recently finished the series, I believe. There's no anime adaptation though. Psyren, while it lasted a while, never really caught on well enough to catch an anime studio's interest.

Yep, I'm going to be buying Viz's releases of Psyren. But, seeing as it is 16 volumes, I want to try to eat into my backlog of manga first..which is currently over 30 volumes...Laughing

The premise, while nothing spectacular...intrigues me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2