• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ultimate Retro Game Console Compatible with 11 Different Cartridges

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
.. this doesn't have 32x or Sega CD compatibility.

No clone console has 32x or Sega CD compatibility because for those you NEED copyrighted bios to run their games. On top of that the list of games released for said systems stand at a few dozens and you would need a cd player (extra cost) that would be used only by the sega cd and the incentive to buy from Sega the rights to bundle said console bios becomes quite small.
#Foreverfizz8

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
So, what are virtual consoles again?
I'm just saying. It looks cool and all, but I'll settle with the gameboy extension on my gamecube and virtual consoles for anything else.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
#Foreverfizz8 wrote:
So, what are virtual consoles again?
I'm just saying. It looks cool and all, but I'll settle with the gameboy extension on my gamecube and virtual consoles for anything else.

The problem with the so called virtual consoles is that you do not own the game*, you are merely renting it for as long as the parent company deems it profitable, but your whole catalog can and will disappear one day.

This consoles are not only substitutes for old ones, they eliminate physical space clutter and probably (have not checked) allows you to connect them them to a screen via component, vga or hdmi instead of bnc, composite or s-video.

* Owning the game means you can sell it to someone else and therefore, you can also buy it second hand, obviously neither happens at any virtual console gamestore I know of.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

The problem with the so called virtual consoles is that you do not own the game*, you are merely renting it for as long as the parent company deems it profitable, but your whole catalog can and will disappear one day.

This consoles are not only substitutes for old ones, they eliminate physical space clutter and probably (have not checked) allows you to connect them them to a screen via component, vga or hdmi instead of bnc, composite or s-video.

* Owning the game means you can sell it to someone else and therefore, you can also buy it second hand, obviously neither happens at any virtual console gamestore I know of.

What about 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console games? They must fit into the category, since they pretty much call themselves that. I know that Nintendo can wipe 3DSs remotely, but why bother? Handing down an old 3DS to a family member with all the games pre-installed seems like a better idea.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
What about 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console games? They must fit into the category, since they pretty much call themselves that. I know that Nintendo can wipe 3DSs remotely, but why bother?

Because any game company can go bankrupt/downsize and the new owners/smaller staff means something got to go and anything that no longer produces any major profit is the first target.

That is the main reason I buy dvd/blu ray discs instead of acquiring said titles digitally at amazon. I do buy games at gog.com because there I can download them to my hard disk and those installers will continue to work even if the russians nuke Poland.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Would this problem with virtual consoles also apply to downloadable content?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Would this problem with virtual consoles also apply to downloadable content?

As I said in my previous post, if said content can be used without asking permission to an external server to execute then you are ok (another example, I buy pdfs from rpg drivethru, they put my name on them, but otherwise I can read them, print them, etc whenever I want).
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Could someone explain to me how such a technology works?
It's probably just a software emulator(at this point, these are all extremely mature) run on an ARM chip of some sort. Add in cartridge readers and you're good to go.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I would buy this as long as I knew for sure it works. But that is a incredible development. Hope it's better than the knock offs we got here that had problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3