• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
God Eater (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
...my friend adores the games...

And she didn't even notice I referenced her...
Lovely

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
Nah. I noticed. I just didn't say anything so as to bother you >:3 .
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I'm still a bit on the edge for this series. On the other hand, I kinda like the OP song now after hearing it a few times. Eric was a hero in this episode for his actions. Otherwise, I'm not sure I like the story so far. It feels a bit mindless at places. I hope we can get some better characterization soon.

Kinda nice to see Alisha show up though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The animation was the same as the first episode, but somehow it looked a lot trashier to me this time. And I don't mean all the gratuitous cleaveage and underboob shots. Btw, if at any point next week they have the new girl standing on the plane to fight, I'ma shoot somebody.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:13 am Reply with quote
Maybe I am confused, but I thought that Eric only lived long enough to throw himself in the mouth of monster because MC decided that he would go there to help. So isn't it a bit unfair to then say that his death is the MC's fault?

Obviously the MC did not have the experience for the fight, how was he supposed to know to watch out for lightning, and using a weapon he had only just obtained.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Maybe I am confused, but I thought that Eric only lived long enough to throw himself in the mouth of monster because MC decided that he would go there to help. So isn't it a bit unfair to then say that his death is the MC's fault?

Obviously the MC did not have the experience for the fight, how was he supposed to know to watch out for lightning, and using a weapon he had only just obtained.

Regarding the second paragraph: that is exactly why big-boobs told him not to go out in the first place. He disregarded her orders, which is what got him into trouble and landed him in a prison cell. Still, while normally anime tends to go too soft when it comes to insubordination, in this case, I'd say they went too hard: it is obvious that they have way too few resources to go tossing one away after the first mistake. Yes, he should be punished for what he did, but what they were planning was overboard, IMO.

Regarding the first paragraph, the subtitles, at least, left the matter vague. He wasn't in the cell for causing Eric's death, but for insubordination -- that much is clear. But whether anyone actually blamed him for what happened to Eric... I don't think anyone did. Or if they did, they didn't say so specifically. It could be argued that Eric wouldn't have had to do what he did if raw MC hadn't been on the battlefield, but IMO the blame goes to the god eaters that didn't properly finish off their opponent, not the MC.

It doesn't appear that the MC told anyone about what happened when he first met Eric and saved him, smoking guy found out from that girl in the cafeteria. So maybe from the prospective of the military, they just saw that they had lost one of their competent god eaters to save the life of some scrub that wasn't supposed to be on the battlefield in the first place.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Visually very attractive.
Lenka getting a hang of things.
Good amount of action, but not much plot..
The first casualty has fallen.
Have a feeling like I'm watching it from the middle..
So far only impressed by the visuals and that's pretty much it.
Will give it one more chance before my final decision.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I think the show could improve if it actually focused on characterization and more story mechanics rather than going mindless on action each week. So far, it's not really on the right track...

Well, we do get Alisha in action this week. Actually, I think the action itself along with the OST is nice. But there's really not much more than that imo. There's also a really mysterious Aragami that showed up unlike some of the others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Munch, munch... finally!

Maybe this is where the comparisons to Attack on Titan will end and the comparisons (and contrasts) to Evangelion can begin.

Fly me to the moon!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Btw, if at any point next week they have the new girl standing on the plane to fight, I'ma shoot somebody.

::shoots everybody::

Apparently this transport is flying at about 15 mph, judging by the wafting cigarette smoke. It was windier inside the open bay.

Also, I guess our boy is a quick study.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 3:

I think the show could improve if it actually focused on characterization and more story mechanics rather than going mindless on action each week. So far, it's not really on the right track...

I think that would be a huge mistake. The show has only two things going for it:

1) It's based of a video game (which is very light on story)

2) Interesting art and visual for the monster

Neither of these lend themselves particularly well to a show with a focus on story and character, they don't detract from it but don't enhance it. There's already troves and troves of generic action anime that tries and fail to have interesting plot and character, if god eater tried to do that it would just be another one in the pile. None of the character introduced yet are particularly interesting, there mostly just the usual blend of overdone and boring, the main character being a chief example of vanilla main character.

Instead the show should double down on action and try to have as many great fight scene as possible. Just add some good soundtrack to it and you could get something great out of this. I'd even go as minimalistic with story detail, and only allude to character backstory, never actually touching on it, with especially no flashback.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Apparently this transport is flying at about 15 mph, judging by the wafting cigarette smoke.

I noticed that too. I also noticed that not only could the helicopter keep up with the transport plane, it could keep up whilst flying sideways.

But hey, at least the wind was strong enough to flap the impractically skimpy clothing of the two female god eaters. Side-boob and under-boob FTW.

Another gripe: how did the passengers get wounded when the aragami were on the outside?

I thought it hilarious that Alisa would for no reason go inside to check on the wounded even though aragami were still attacking the plane. Yeah, abandoning defence of the plane is a really smart thing to do.[/sarcasm]

But the biggest issue with this week's episode was how the aragami attacked. One of them can take out a fighter jet with one blow, but dozens can't so much as damage the lumbering defenseless transport plane even after several hours of trying? And what was with them attacking the god eaters one or two at at time?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Apparently this transport is flying at about 15 mph, judging by the wafting cigarette smoke.

I noticed that too. I also noticed that not only could the helicopter keep up with the transport plane, it could keep up whilst flying sideways.

But hey, at least the wind was strong enough to flap the impractically skimpy clothing of the two female god eaters. Side-boob and under-boob FTW.

Another gripe: how did the passengers get wounded when the aragami were on the outside?

I thought it hilarious that Alisa would for no reason go inside to check on the wounded even though aragami were still attacking the plane. Yeah, abandoning defence of the plane is a really smart thing to do.[/sarcasm]

But the biggest issue with this week's episode was how the aragami attacked. One of them can take out a fighter jet with one blow, but dozens can't so much as damage the lumbering defenseless transport plane even after several hours of trying? And what was with them attacking the god eaters one or two at at time?

All of these were problems with the episode, it just feels like the episode lacked quite a bit of intelligence to try and set up these situations. Especially on how fast that giant plan was going, which was apparently quite slow.

At the very least the episode had good music with some nice art, with some pretty cool action scenes. Just pay no attention to the unconvincing dialogue meant to build worries that they might now make it, and again the lapses in logic. Where did she walk in from when they were doing the cool person walk in when about to start fighting again on top the plane.?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
The show is back now with episode 4 this weekend.

Felt weird imo and Alisha's teamwork is not showing. The only interesting part is the Aegis Project that gets into slightly more details. I think the soundtrack part involved but the show's story still is lacking.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Now that I can finally watch Episode 1, I really enjoyed it.

MC is from the rather typical shonen action hero mold, but given that he represents the customizable player-character (I remember Lovely was mad because she always plays as a girl), they had to do something for personality for him, or you get boring MCs like in Persona 3 and 4.

The supporting cast, though, is more interesting, even if they fall into tropes as well. The story is interesting (got interested via Project x Zone), so it'll be fun to see where it goes from here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5