• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah I think that Hans is not yet disproven because he has only done this not killing when given the chance thing after finding out that when a real Brave is killed the sign changes. It does not prove it either as went from some logical steps, but if he is the fake he must be looking at a chance now to kill them all at once.

I wonder what was meant by Chamot eating things. Chamot's ability to create fiends that can go past the pillars makes her suspicious, but her personality apart from being psycho into killing opponents does not seem to hint at it.

My gut still says Goldov, he has been awful quick to kill any suspected fakes. Him suddenly attacking Adlet when only asked for his thoughts had made him more suspicious to me, and so weird that no one seems to take that into consideration when Adlet decided to run with a hostage. More than Nachetanya changing the subject, I got him acting kind of panicked in keeping someone else the enemy, and her saying that he has changed.

Maura is also super into labelling Adlet as a traitor. The more I think about it, more there is the possibility is perfectly set up to be the fake in making her the most unlikely and getting the rest of the Braves to kill each other. She does also seem to have the trust of the strongest member who seems to think she could not possibly be it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
Not that anyone will read this, but looking back at the sequence of events and the timing of everyone's arrival at the temple is probably key to solving this.

Mora arrived first since she was supposed to be on standby waiting for everyone else to turn up. Flamie and Adlet were preceded by another party of unknown numbers who arrived at the fortress beforehand, they were themselves succeeded by Nachetanya and Goldov. Hans met Mora a day before the barrier was activated whilst Chamo's movements are unknown.

Adlet leaves Nachetanya, Flamie and Goldov to fight fiends a short distance away from the temple in order to get to the temple. Prior to this all four of them had been together since they tried to kill each other. That would leave the movements of Hans, Mora and Chamo unaccounted for.

Since this is not a spur-of-the-moment illusion which could have done without some kind of plan or innate power, if Hans is acquitted in this latest episode it would Mora and Chamo as the two remaining suspects; the former more probable because she held the key to the temple door in the first place.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Now if the situation is actually written like a proper "mystery" then there should be an in context motivation for the perpetrator, and quite possibly said perp could in fact be one of the real Braves, the reasoning likely to be to flush out the 7th with the logic of "fool your allies before your enemies" using a false pretense that it was the 7th being the perp.

Once the 7th is found, they would simply turn off the barrier because they have secret knowledge that the rest of the group lacked (likely already suspecting someone like Flamie existed specifically could undermine the anti-fiend barrier).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
^
There's no point in fooling your allies if by doing so they kill another one of your allies instead of the seventh.

Harleyquin wrote:
...it would Mora and Chamo as the two remaining suspects; the former more probable because she held the key to the temple door in the first place.

It may be that Maura is the one who activated the barrier but Nashetania is the actual seventh. That's the scenario that I'm leaning towards.

DuskyPredator wrote:
My gut still says Goldov, he has been awful quick to kill any suspected fakes. Him suddenly attacking Adlet when only asked for his thoughts had made him more suspicious to me, and so weird that no one seems to take that into consideration when Adlet decided to run with a hostage. More than Nachetanya changing the subject, I got him acting kind of panicked in keeping someone else the enemy, and her saying that he has changed.

And both my gut and my brain says he isn't. He's too simple, too stupid, and if you paid close attention to his scene in episode eight, too easily manipulated by Nashetania who successfully steered the conversation away from her and onto him.

He probably attacked Adlet out of jealousy in order to remove a rival. Any why not? Everyone else said that Adlet was the seventh so in his mind that provides the perfect excuse.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It may be that Maura is the one who activated the barrier but Nashetania is the actual seventh. That's what I'm leaning towards.

That's a pretty good possibility. But how did Maura know that there was a 7th Brave? So far as I can remember, no one knew that Fremie was actually a Brave and not just the Brave-killer. It seems to me that the Temple Trap was set up before anyone knew anything about Fremie; I can't see Maura doing it on the spur-of-the-moment.

BTW, Maura's interactions with Fremie made me trust her way less than I did before. Of course, I'm naturally suspicious of anyone tries be my "friend" without any good reason. I wonder what Maura's power is, and if it somehow involves touching a person, because she deliberately touched Fremie more than once this episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
Having Maura as the Brave doing the elaborate set-up and Nachetanya doing the actual sneaking in and out agrees with Adlet's theory of #7 and #8, but how would Nachetanya have shaken off Goldov and Flamie who were fighting beside her? As I recall, the three of them entered the temple together as a group and the other two did not mention anything about Nachetanya slipping off (hard to do so when they needed every hand available to stay alive).

If Mora is genuine, then her initial comments when meeting everyone would not raise suspicion (recognised everyone apart from Adlet and Flamie and only met Hans the day before as she claimed). If she was lying and there was an accomplice in their midst, which of her comments gave it away?
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Having Maura as the Brave doing the elaborate set-up and Nachetanya doing the actual sneaking in and out agrees with Adlet's theory of #7 and #8
No it doesn't, because then there's no outside 8th person. :p If you accept Adlet's theory then the person who activated the barrier can't be any of the assembled seven, not to mention that by definition, #7 and #8 can't be Braves.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
No it doesn't, because then there's no outside 8th person. :p If you accept Adlet's theory then the person who activated the barrier can't be any of the assembled seven, not to mention that by definition, #7 and #8 can't be Braves.

I don't interpret Adlet's theory quite so literally. As far as he's concerned, one of the party is an imposter and has help from the outside (the so-called #8). So any theory that incorporates one or more of the present party with possible involvement from the outside might well be within Adlet's calculations, however I do agree that it is somewhat far-fetched that two members of the current party are imposters (short of someone aware of up-to-date source material can contradict my position).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I do agree that it is somewhat far-fetched that two members of the current party are imposters (short of someone aware of up-to-date source material can contradict my position).

And I hope they don't. Not because I think you're right or wrong, I just don't want anyone who already knows ruling things out, even if they put it in spoilers.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

So Chamo isn't unbeatable after all. Took a bit of teamwork and gamble but they managed to capture her. The fight was so-so imo. Intense but wasn't overly exciting. Regarding the mystery of the fake Brave, I think Fremy's theories that disproves Adelt's hypothesis on most parts is interesting.

And we also get to know more about how the fog originated near the temple. That's interesting.

Maura looks like she's on the move now so I expect some action to come soon. Nicely done episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I've been taken for a ride in this episode. We learn more about how barriers work and that Adlet's hypothesis about being tricked at the fortress is implausible; but Hans' little verbal contradiction doesn't feel like a critical factor in this mystery. He might have called her a princess, but there's no contradiction in calling her what he did and wanting to find out more about her story. Furthermore there's no doubting the fact that Hans kept Adlet alive even when he had the perfect chance to kill him; plot armour is one thing but his behaviour afterwards seemed illogical (deliberately used the blunt edge of his blades to knock out Chamo).

Mora's reaction to Hans' failures was understandable if she was genuine and believed Adlet was guilty, but her reaction is equally valid if she were the imposter. The thing is, does she have the same knowledge of the infinity barrier that Flamie has in its physical location?

I think the end of this episode more or less exonerates Flamie, I've lost count of the number of opportunities she's had to finish off Adlet and she'll get another one when reinforcements arrive. Adlet is also right in deducing she'll be the next one on the suspicion list if he is proven to be genuine.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
If the barrier is created by the stake in the ground, couldn't they easily remove them to clear it? And if the stake are indestructible, who are they losing the war against the fiend if they can make stuff indestructible?

Adler theory does make bunny girl action interesting, she destroyed the tablet making impossible to activate the barrier pretty early, that's interesting...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
So Chamo isn't unbeatable after all. Took a bit of teamwork and gamble but they managed to capture her. The fight was so-so imo. Intense but wasn't overly exciting.

I've had that reaction to the resolution of all the cliff-hangers so far. The need to protect Adlet as the protagonist takes a lot of the drama out of the potential threats to his life. It seems unavoidable given the story, so I've just accepted it and moved on. I'm more interested in the character interactions than the "who is the seventh brave?" story anyway, especially the relationship between Adlet and Flamie. Maybe I'm just a sucker for performances by Aoi Yuuki, whom I have followed since Kurenai.

Isn't it about time for someone to suspect Maura? Like Adlet she seems to be protected by "plot armor."
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
If the barrier is created by the stake in the ground, couldn't they easily remove them to clear it? And if the stake are indestructible, who are they losing the war against the fiend if they can make stuff indestructible?

Not that you care...

無数の杭: Countless number of stakes embedded in the ground. Even if they knew where the stakes were, since the stakes are blessed by Saints it would have needed a lot of human manpower to dig them all out to deactivate the barrier. Flamie has already betrayed the other side, so detection of each location would have been difficult without help.

The stakes aren't indestructible, but the demon king they've been fighting all this time can never be completely defeated despite the number of hero parties they've summoned each time. All the barrier does is stop more demons from reinforcing those already on the mainland and the numbers deployed have already proved themselves to be formidable enough to finish off the continent. If you don't like the premise, nothing forcing you to keep watching.

Getting back to topic: Flamie confirms that the fog they are surrounded with is part of the infinity barrier put up to keep the fiends away, so Adlet's conjecture of a fog acting independently of the barrier falls flat. However viewers remember the timing on how the fog started to materialise so there has to be some truth on the activation of the barrier in a different way to what the heroes were told.

Chamot has full faith in Mora, but it is strange that no one has openly accused her of being an imposter so far.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
無数の杭: Countless number of stakes embedded in the ground. Even if they knew where the stakes were, since the stakes are blessed by Saints it would have needed a lot of human manpower to dig them all out to deactivate the barrier. [/quote]

But they don't have to remove every single stakes, just a few in a single area to create a breach. Just like to make a hole in a house to leave you don't have to knock down every single wall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 21