Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's When Marnie Was There Earns US$40,282 in 2nd U.S. Weekend




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KamikazeJawa



Joined: 21 Apr 2015
Posts: 104
Location: The land of the Asian-Americans
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping my $9.50 was part of a larger total but oh well. It was a good movie, one that I enjoyed much than The Secret World of Arrietty, the director's other major work(not like that was bad or anything).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Radrappy



Joined: 11 Jul 2011
Posts: 65
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Man this movie. I got to catch a screening in LA and have very mixed feelings. It has an adequate beginning and a very riveting ending but the middle. . .my god the middle. I don't think I've ever been so bored by a movie than I was by this film's entire 45 min middle. It doesn't help that it's not very ambitiously shot or produced.

It's probably on the same level of quality as Arriety but had it not been for the stellar ending, this would have been one of my most disappointing titles of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tenchi



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 4256
Location: Ottawa... now I'm an ex-Anglo Montrealer.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably see it but I don't think any Ottawa screenings have been scheduled.

Radrappy wrote:
It has an adequate beginning and a very riveting ending but the middle. . .my god the middle. I don't think I've ever been so bored by a movie than I was by this film's entire 45 min middle.


If you change the title, that was more or less exactly my reaction to Birdman.

EDIT: Paprika too, if I'm being honest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 1018
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
Man this movie. I got to catch a screening in LA and have very mixed feelings. It has an adequate beginning and a very riveting ending but the middle. . .my god the middle. I don't think I've ever been so bored by a movie than I was by this film's entire 45 min middle. It doesn't help that it's not very ambitiously shot or produced.

It's probably on the same level of quality as Arriety but had it not been for the stellar ending, this would have been one of my most disappointing titles of the year.


I agree with everything you said, it's very boring in the middle. Almost would have stopped if I didn't like the style of it so much (and because the two leads are so cute). I like this movie better than Arrietty though.

Regarding the article: is the number good or bad? I never know how much a movie has to make in order for it to count as a good run. I'd think so considering it isn't in very many theatres.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
azabaro
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 209
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Regarding the article: is the number good or bad? I never know how much a movie has to make in order for it to count as a good run. I'd think so considering it isn't in very many theatres.


The When Marnie was There FB account posted this morning saying that Poppy Hill was GKids' highest-grossing Ghibli film so far, "with a little over $1 million in box office." The post makes it sound like they're hoping to beat that number with Marnie opening at other theaters (toward which end they're requesting people go to see it opening weekend if it's opening near them - that helps it stay in those theaters longer, rather than vanishing after the 1st week).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jayhosh



Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 956
Location: Millmont, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see this film, there will probably be tears in my eyes, the idea of it being Ghibli's last film for a while will stay in the back of my mind. I hope it plays near me. Although if that happens, it won't be for a while, as always. :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lili-Hime



Joined: 05 Jun 2014
Posts: 569
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
Funny, I was going to say the middle was my favorite part Anime hyper I think this movie pretty much rivals Frozen as far as spoiler[innappropriate pairings led on by deeply romantic 'friendships'.] The beginning was too long, needed to get the point faster. The whole silent guy character was totally useless. They spend like 10 minutes building up his character with literally the only payoff being him going spoiler[oh marnie, yeah i remember her] and people going oh wow he talks. The crazy wtf twist at the end seemed to really stretch the whole point they were making like spoiler[oh but you see anna you really DID have family that loved you. But that was ony for a year! And then she died.... oh well!]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vanfanel



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 1159
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
If you change the title, that was more or less exactly my reaction to Birdman.

EDIT: Paprika too, if I'm being honest.


"Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence" is mine Smile

I enjoyed "Marnie" enough that I just started reading the Joan G. Robinson book it's based on, but I haven't seen the film since it was in theaters in Japan.

I really like the closing song, and how well it fits the story. I do think it's a solid piece of work with a really good ending, but at the same time, it's kind of like "World Masterpiece Theater" (the long-running series-of-series that adapted many Western children's classics for Japanese TV) on a theatrical budget. There's nothing exactly wrong with that, except that they desperately need young directors who can launch original projects, and this seems like more evidence that they're treading water with adaptations until such a director -- other than Hosoda, of course Confused -- appears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group