• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prickly City goes "Manga Style"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Deleted. Repub comics suck.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:05 am; edited 5 times in total
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Lets hear it for slow news days. Very Happy

I dont ever remember hearing about Peach Fuzz and Van Hunter Von, the temporary sunday strips from Tokyopop here on the site. Not that they're much better than Prickly City, but still...

And as much as I dont like PC, I find the Manga art more authentic than the aforementioned strips.
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
It's been pretty funny so far. Right-winged, sure; but it has a few good laughs.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so this is what comic strips like this do when their authors feel disempowered by the electorate.

Eagerly awaiting the manga version of Mallard Fillmore, if this is any indication.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:44 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Oh, so this is what comic strips like this do when their authors feel disempowered by the electorate.
I could say something biting thing about someone on the left who has said or done something immeasurably more offensive than anything that's ever been in Prickly City, but why bother? Why don't we all just smile and nod and realize that this a sign of the popularity of something we all love?

Instead of bringing politics into it, lets just bask in the glow of joy that is this further bit of evidence that anime and manga are becoming mainstream. Seriously, let's put aside our political differences and just enjoy the moment.

Or is that too much to ask?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
I like Prickly City, so this is interesting news. I'm a bit iffy on it though. I haven't looked at this new artist's work, but I liked the old art.

Zac wrote:

Just the same thing Boondocks used to do and whatever that one latino comic does? The latter spent a whole month doing nothing but making fun of Anne Coulter. I didn't particularly care that they made fun of her, but a whole month? They guy did the same thing with Mark Foley. Anything more than about a week is just beating a dead horse and it isn't funny anymore.

Prickly City isn't exactly a Republican propaganda piece either. It takes shots at the Republican party as well, though less often than the Democratic.

Quote:
Eagerly awaiting the manga version of Mallard Fillmore, if this is any indication.

I miss Malard Fillmore. My newspaper stopped printing it and replaced it with Prickly City. I thought it had just stopped being made, but going by your post, I guess its still going and the Houston Chronicle just stopped printing it for whatever reason.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:04 am; edited 3 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

How much exposure does this comic get? Like, syndicated in any newspapers?

It's syndicated in the Houston Chronicle as of about three months ago. I don't it existed before that. And until your post, I didn't even know it originated as a webcomic. How long has it been around?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
that one latino comic
Is that the one called La Cucaracha?

This is largely off topic, but am I the only person who found that comic to be insulting to Latinos? It's filled with some of the worst stereotypes, in both character designs and actual writing, that I have ever seen. It uses an anthropomorphised cockroach to represent Latinos and that really does seem to be pushing a limit to me.

I'm as white as a piece of chalk and I don't see racial discrimination hiding in every corner, but that comic offended that heck out of me. I've never been offended by any other political comic strip either.
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I like Prickly City
Me too. Pretty sure they're just having a little fun with the manga style before returning to the old familiar way of doing things.

It would be nice if the did it again later on.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
Deleted. *head-desk*

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:04 am; edited 2 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
that one latino comic
Is that the one called La Cucaracha?

Quote:
This is largely off topic, but am I the only person who found that comic to be insulting to Latinos? It's filled with some of the worst stereotypes, in both character designs and actual writing, that I have ever seen. It uses an anthropomorphised cockroach to represent Latinos and that really does seem to be pushing a limit to me.

Seems that way to me, but hey, I'm just a mean, stupid, sexist, homophobic, racist, white male Conservative bigot, so what do I know?

Quote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I like Prickly City
Me too. Pretty sure they're just having a little fun with the manga style before returning to the old familiar way of doing things.

It would be nice if the did it again later on.

I figure they'll return to the original at some point as well. But it is pretty cool that they are doing it.

Fiction Alchemist wrote:
So... You live in Texas then? Cool You know, because your location isn't listed on your profile, so... Just saying to say, nothing else.

Yeah, I live in Texas. I thought I had it listed, but I guess not. Incidentally, it seems like a lot of people on this forum live in Texas.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Prickly City isn't exactly a Republican propaganda piece either.

Yeah, it is, actually. Taking the occasional half-hearted "shot" at the Republican party while otherwise displaying obvious partisanship doesn't somehow make it a bastion of centrist wisdom.

Quote:

I miss Malard Fillmore.

I wish there was some kind of emoticon that properly displayed my expression toward this.

Quote:

Seems that way to me, but hey, I'm just a mean, stupid, sexist, homophobic, racist, white male Conservative bigot, so what do I know?

You apparently have a persecution complex, too!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:33 am Reply with quote
I just looked at the Prickly City comic from today (I haven't read the paper in over a week). It's alright. The art itself isn't bad... but it just isn't Prickly City.

Zac wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Prickly City isn't exactly a Republican propaganda piece either.

Yeah, it is, actually. Taking the occasional half-hearted "shot" at the Republican party while otherwise displaying obvious partisanship doesn't somehow make it a bastion of centrist wisdom.

Of course its Conservative, but its not like the author blindly worhips them and thinks everything they do is just dandy. Not very many Conservatives do, probably. I voted for them this election, but I sure as hell wasn't happy with them.

Quote:
HitokriShadow wrote:

You apparently have a persecution complex, too!

I'm not going around claiming that the election was stolen spoiler[5 years later]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I voted for them this election, but I sure as hell wasn't happy with them.

Sigh.

If you're not happy with who's in power, don't vote for them. It doesn't matter with what "team" you think you're on, that isn't what it's about.

This is how democracy works.

Quote:

I'm not going around claiming that the election was stolen spoiler[5 years later]

Am I suddenly listening to AM radio or something? This is ridiculous.

You're a good person, HitokiriShadow, and I've always valued your opinion on anime and manga and I think you're a valuable contributor to the forums here.

So I'd like to call attention to the fact that a conservative like you and a liberal like me can communicate outside of politics in a forum like this and still respect one another.

That said, let's move on, shall we?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:

Am I suddenly listening to AM radio or something? This is ridiculous.

You're a good person, HitokiriShadow, and I've always valued your opinion on anime and manga and I think you're a valuable contributor to the forums here.

So I'd like to call attention to the fact that a conservative like you and a liberal like me can communicate outside of politics in a forum like this and still respect one another.

That said, let's move on, shall we?

Sure, no problem.

For the record, I never meant that you youself said anything about the stealing of the election. Also, my vote was not out of "team loyalty". If someone better comes along or one or both parties change drastically, my vote may change. And with that, I'm done on this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2