• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Things They Never Tell You About Attending Conventions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
those crowd photos are all i needed to see. nope! not ever going to another convention! it's not that i am claustrophobic or anything, but i cannot tolerate huge waves of people in any context. it is so not worth the hassle. it takes a special person to find enjoyment in such situations...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
All of this is reinforcing my perfect contentment in staying far away from cons and just reading the news on ANN the next day.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I've lost almost all interest in cons once they became more like generic "nerd"-culture events (and I put it that in quotes because a lot of it actually seems to revolve around remarkably mainstream, super-popular properties).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

That being said, I do find the money issues in the article a tad on the offensive side, as they assume you are made of money. I don't know anyone who has the kind of money not only that a) they can set aside $500 for spending, but that b) they can waste an extra $300 on hotel. Nor do I know anyone who can afford "$20-30 per day" on a cab (nor who would be dumb enough to take a cab, I've never seen one that isn't shady).

You don't know very many people then, do you? I budget around $2000 for a convention, my friend does the same. For Sakura-Con this year, flying out from Massachusetts the ticket would have cost about $350 round trip, but I paid for it with airline miles. Splitting the hotel with him was somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 each for the 4 nights. Food budget of around $100 a day, because who wants to eat granola bars when they're on vacation? And of course the badge, which is only a $40-$50 hit, but that leaves plenty of money for various things like transportation to and from airport, and spending money for whatever catches my eye in the dealer's room. It's pretty ridiculous to act like that's some sort of insane rich person's folly. Your attitude is what's offensive here, not the article which seems to be very reasonable, especially in regards to budget.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I used to cap it at around $200 for just the con itself. Hotel cost was about $25-$30, but for 8 people to a room (which was nightmarish for my sister, who is a very light sleeper). However, on that subject, I think it's important to budget for what you plan to do.

For me, guests and dealers rooms were the main draw, since that was how I got most of my figures (including a Rose of Versailles one that took me totally by surprise!) before discovering that you could buy stuff like that on the web, and I liked to pick up lots of posters too. But I was also able to cut costs by going to more "local" cons--AWA, EXPcon, things in the Southeast area, basically.

I could easily imagine plane tickets severely spiking that cost, and if you're going to sight-see as well (or just sample the local cuisine), then that would definitely jack up the price.

Sure would like to go to a big name con someday, though. I've mostly been to smallish or mid-size cons.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I think I spent a little under $360 a couple months ago for Anime Boston. $160 for the hotel, ~$50 for a Chinatown bus to Boston and back, $60 for the Convention Membership, ~$60 for merch, mostly in Artist Alley, $30 or so for food, and like $10 for mass transit? Sounds about right.

PAX East was about $250, since I didn't need to pay for the badge, being an Enforcer took care of that. Mostly food and hotel costs, gas and tolls for my friend who was driving us up, plus some merch.

Also, regarding cabs, almost every major city regulates their cab industry, so if you're going to a con in a major city, you have almost nothing to worry about taking cabs. Mass transit should also be a thing you look into if you're a city worth it's name.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
That being said, I do find the money issues in the article a tad on the offensive side, as they assume you are made of money. I don't know anyone who has the kind of money not only that a) they can set aside $500 for spending, but that b) they can waste an extra $300 on hotel. Nor do I know anyone who can afford "$20-30 per day" on a cab (nor who would be dumb enough to take a cab, I've never seen one that isn't shady).

Regardless of whether it's offensive, "spend more money on these things!" isn't a very good thing to put in a list of tips and tricks. Those things are luxuries, not sneaky loopholes that anyone can take advantage of. It's not as if people want to stay in packed hotel rooms; they do it because hotel rooms near any big convention are crazy expensive, and many people just can't afford to get one all to themselves. (And, honestly, doing that feels a little selfish, since you're effectively forcing other people to pack rooms even tighter, or stay farther away from the con.)

Saying people should budget less for figurines and more for survival is valid, though I don't think that's often the issue, and in any case people ought to learn to budget for what's important to them. Waiting in line for a panel for hours is almost never worth it to me, but it apparently is for some people.

It's hard to make recommendations because people go to cons for vastly different reasons... mainly, don't waste much time in the dealer's hall and definitely don't try to get in early, it's a madhouse (that first image is the avalanche of people pouring into the AX dealer's hall shortly after opening) and you can get most of that stuff online anyway. The artist alley is always more interesting and less crowded if you need loot to buy. And if you go to AX, don't even try to get autographs from anyone remotely popular unless you have a premier badge, get lucky with a raffle at the guest's panel, or have some other special advantage... otherwise you have almost no chance, there's too many fans and too little organization.
Fabe

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
redcar wrote:

As for other advice, I'll throw something out there that seems to come up often and yet still causes problems: try not to take pictures in major passageways or in front of things. If you do want to take a picture in a hallway, please consider moving to the side and doing it parallel to the hallway. You'll get in the way of so many fewer people if you don't put yourself in the middle while framing the subject against the wall.

This is a good tip, but I go a step further - if someone is blocking a hallway taking cosplay photos and you can't easily get around them, walk right through their photo. They're the ones being rude, not you.

Have you ever come across people playing games in hallways? I heard stories about that happening at conventions like DragonCon. I love board gaming but anyone who decides to start a game of Arhamn horror in a crowed hallway has no one to blame but them selves if others stomp over the board like the great cthulhu himself.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the advice about room sharing with no more than one person. Obviously, this depends on the person and some people just can't be in a small space with a couple of people, but for those that can, my advice might be helpful. My policy is to share with no more than the amount of bed space you'll have. With two queen size beds, that's four people. I've shared rooms with both genders, including randos I met using the con's forum. The most I've roomed with is four other people. My advice is to advertise exactly what you're looking for in a roommate and tell people what to expect so no one claims they weren't advised. I usually tell people I go to bed by 10-11, no drinking and drugs in the room. I also expect a call or text if they're going to be out past 1 am so I don't worry about them. Painting a picture of being a boring person eliminates a lot of the problem children, so does charging the going rate for one night's stay at the hotel. I've done this at several cons and have only had minor issues with two women before. The men I've roomed with have all been well behaved and very nice. I also do not ask for money until the person arrives. This helps to ease their fears that you're going to take their funds and they won't have a hotel room.

I agree with the water advice; Bring a Brita filter and a water bottle. Fill the pitcher and take the purified water with you to the con. Most cons do not offer refillable water stations, so it's best to bring your own so as to avoid long lines and $3 bottles of crappy water. You will likely have to share this with your roommate(s) though.

My advice has to do with food - Eat at least one solid meal per day. Top ramen is not a solid meal. Nor is a lunchable. Those are snacks. I usually eat breakfast and dinner, with dried fruit and quinoa bars to tide me over. Make sure to bring healthy snacks with you such as dried fruit and unsalted nuts to tide you over between meals, especially the dried fruit as there is a dearth of veggies and fruit at most cons. Also, expect to share with others. You'll make new friends and avoid the hangry people in line that way.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Regardless of whether it's offensive, "spend more money on these things!" isn't a very good thing to put in a list of tips and tricks. Those things are luxuries, not sneaky loopholes that anyone can take advantage of. It's not as if people want to stay in packed hotel rooms; they do it because hotel rooms near any big convention are crazy expensive, and many people just can't afford to get one all to themselves. (And, honestly, doing that feels a little selfish, since you're effectively forcing other people to pack rooms even tighter, or stay farther away from the con.)

In what Zac was trying to say, it does make sense to have it in there. You are right that not everyone can do that, but to enjoy the con properly you do need your sleep and piece of mind. Also, it isn't all a zero sum game. Perhaps have four people, instead of 6 to 8. Any little bit helps.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps have four people, instead of 6 to 8. Any little bit helps.

The article specifically says "try not to share a room with more than one person" which is a bit much for the average attendee, given how often they stuff rooms to 8+ people. I would say that going beyond 6 in a supposedly 4-person room is excessive, and the hotels don't exactly like that behavior, but the main necessity is to make sure you're staying with people you can get along with, who won't party all night every night or fill the room with cigarette smoke or come back in the middle of the night literally piss-drunk (speaking from experience on that last one...).
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Regarding conventions not sending out badges via mail, their reason is valid:
I've seen certain young people at Wondercon pestering their friends to make photocopy of the original badge just because they don't want to pay the money. That being said, not everyone is honorable and some of them will go lengths to make perfect forgery.

Commuting to convention center from lodging:
My parents' house is 7 miles from the Fanimecon. So after paying over $30 for parking, I rode my cyclocross bicycle to the convention next day and it was one the best experience I've had. I felt like a character from Yowamushi Pedal while riding my bike and it took me 40 minutes.

For people who lodge at much shorter distance, taxi or public transportation will do fine. Just be prepared thoroughly.

On Panels Q & A:
I do my homework first and have relevant questions ready. If someone asks the same question as mine, then I cross it off and come up with new question.

Dealers Hall
Most dealers sells the same things that you can buy it online for far cheaper price. I saw Made-in-China Yowamushi Pedal cycling jersey sold at $35 at convention, but you can buy it at $15~$20 range online. Most of them are selling generic character goods and selection is dull because they don't have good selection of what's latest from Japan.

Unless you're really good at haggling, it's not worth spending money on dealer merchandises.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I typically room with four people (including myself) on average. I can tolerate six in a room with two beds, but that's the limit. I've been in a room with seven and that was a little much. The thing is, if you don't think you have enough money to pay your share of the hotel bill with a reasonable number of people, you have NO business going to a con. It's also why I keep to cons within driving distance (even if it is a few hours). Being able to sleep properly and have leg room is well worth paying extra

If I may tell a little tale, while preparing for a con I went to, one of the girls in my Japanese class was debating on going with us (she didn't). I told her the bill was $200 and for some reason she thought that was dumb. Then I found out she's one of those idiots that insists on turning rooms into potential fire hazards by stuffing them with as many people as possible. Criminy, this kind of crap is why hotels get pissed at attendees and why there's a limit to the amount of occupants a room has.

As for advice, for the love of god, only have ONE cosplay if you're going to dress up. All that stuff takes up space in a room and having multiple outfits is just selfish to the other occupants in the room. You might be able to get away with two if they're not complicated, but don't be one of those guys that has to show off a different costume every day that's elaborate.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Giant cons can be fun......once in a while.

The smaller, local cons in my town are the ones I go to yearly! No need to hassle on any of the above stuff, and oftentimes the guests are pretty great Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

Dealers Hall
Most dealers sells the same things that you can buy it online for far cheaper price. I saw Made-in-China Yowamushi Pedal cycling jersey sold at $35 at convention, but you can buy it at $15~$20 range online. Most of them are selling generic character goods and selection is dull because they don't have good selection of what's latest from Japan.

Unless you're really good at haggling, it's not worth spending money on dealer merchandises.

I'd like to follow up on this. Dealer room deals CAN work, but only if you do your research beforehand. Figure out what you're looking to buy, and the going rate online. Then, when you arrive, you can compare prices and make the call yourself. For me, dealers rooms were a great place to look for books going out of print (like CMX's Swan), and occasionally you found things that were harder to get overseas; the figure I mentioned earlier was both sold out in Japan, and for a show from the late 70's. I snapped it up for $40 and now it's worth $120.

Most of the time the value doesn't fluctuate quite as much as that, but sometimes you get lucky. And like someone else mentioned, always walk the dealers room before you buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8