• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Things They Never Tell You About Attending Conventions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

The article specifically says "try not to share a room with more than one person" which is a bit much for the average attendee, given how often they stuff rooms to 8+ people. I would say that going beyond 6 in a supposedly 4-person room is excessive, and the hotels don't exactly like that behavior, but the main necessity is to make sure you're staying with people you can get along with, who won't party all night every night or fill the room with cigarette smoke or come back in the middle of the night literally piss-drunk (speaking from experience on that last one...).

Alright, well keep this in mind. All hotels (as in 100%) list their occupancy for their rooms. I don't give a shit what the article says. The hotels generally aren't going to be sending people to double check exactly how many people are staying in the room, but if for whatever reason they do, and they find that you're stuffing 8 people into a room that is supposed to have 3, then they are well within their rights to kick you out and refund you exactly $0. Whoever signed up for the room agreed to that after all. So, it's not just that the hotels "don't like that behavior", it's that due to various fire codes, they can legally say get the F out and thanks for the money.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I read this because I didn't even think about all you've said. Though I've been going to NDK for the past 8 years, I am going to AX for the first time this year and this is the hugest convention I will ever go to. Since I am not used to such huge numbers I didn't think about the lines for the shuttles and panels. I'm going to have to think a lot about what I want to do and when I want to leave so that I won't have so many problems. It'd also be nice if I could find a friend who knows their way around AX to wander around with so that I'm not totally lost lol.

Another tip: It's also a good idea to store up on snacks lunches to take to the convention so that you're not waiting hours at a nearby Taco Bell since that's where everyone else at the con will go to too.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
The hotels generally aren't going to be sending people to double check exactly how many people are staying in the room, but if for whatever reason they do, and they find that you're stuffing 8 people into a room that is supposed to have 3, then they are well within their rights to kick you out and refund you exactly $0. Whoever signed up for the room agreed to that after all. So, it's not just that the hotels "don't like that behavior", it's that due to various fire codes, they can legally say get the F out and thanks for the money.

Yes, technically, they can. But they aren't idiots, they know tons of people do this for big events, yet to my knowledge they rarely if ever kick people out unless they're causing disturbances. Because, y'know, they don't want to go that far unless they never want any of those people as a customer ever again.

You were bragging about how you spend $2000 on every con, so presumably you never have to deal with this sort of thing, but I've never seen anyone get in that level of trouble just for having a few too many people in a room. For 8 people in a 3-person room, perhaps, but not many groups are that crazy.
Cille

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
Some advice from an attendee of mostly medium-sized cons who is biased toward guest panels:

It's a good idea to check early on about policies for things like autographs and concert admission. A concert may or may not require tickets, and you may or may not need to be in line to get said tickets early in the morning. You'll also want to find out what the line policy is for autographs, since some cons hand out tickets at certain times, some specify when the lines are supposed to start, and some are just a free-for-all whenever anybody feels like getting in line. It's also useful to know how many items you can get signed and if there are any restrictions on what guests will sign.

If you're into fanart or crafts, swing through the artist's alley early. People may sell out of some of their nice stuff in the first day or two and you never know if you're going to see those artists at another con.

There's inevitably one guy with very little social awareness who seems to think he's there to have a personal conversation with a guest or panel presenter. Don't be that guy.

Also don't be the guy who asks a question that's a huge spoiler for everybody in the room who hasn't seen that show yet or is in the process of watching it.

The paper schedules they hand out with the con books are usually out of date because they're printed early. Check the calendar on the con website or smartphone app for the latest schedule. That can help you avoid showing up for a panel only to find out it was moved an hour earlier, and you can also find out about recently-scheduled panels that not everyone will know about.

I always like to plan my attack ahead of time and mark off what panels and events I'm interested in (after copying the current online schedule onto my paper schedule) and then try to work out conflicts. If I know I can't go to Guest A's autograph signing on Saturday because it conflicts with Guest B's only panel, then I need to make a point of going to the signing on Friday before I miss my chance.

Don't steal the light bulbs in the elevators.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Yes, technically, they can. But they aren't idiots, they know tons of people do this for big events, yet to my knowledge they rarely if ever kick people out unless they're causing disturbances. Because, y'know, they don't want to go that far unless they never want any of those people as a customer ever again.

You were bragging about how you spend $2000 on every con, so presumably you never have to deal with this sort of thing, but I've never seen anyone get in that level of trouble just for having a few too many people in a room. For 8 people in a 3-person room, perhaps, but not many groups are that crazy.

Stating, not bragging. And yes, I'm stating that I've never had to deal with packing a room. It's me and at most one other, as it should be. You want to brag that you go to a con for less, have at it. I'll state that it's most enjoyable at the level I go to.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
If you have to, you can sleep in your car. Razz

I also remember one time we were in a hotel, and there were so few elevators, and so many people trying to board them, it was actually QUICKER to just take the stairs. Climbing 8 flights of stairs to my hotel room (inside the same hotel as the convention) for 7 minutes wasn't as nearly as bad as a 20-minute elevator ride with full capacity stopping on every floor (sometimes going BACK DOWN!), especially since more people got on and off at each stop. It was worst when everything ended and most of the con guests were going back to their hotel rooms. I guess if the con is in a hotel, avoid getting a room in said hotel for that very reason. Razz

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri May 29, 2015 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Did they have room for that line to begin with?

For the Sailor Moon panel at Anime Expo 2014? They did. A room was set aside, as it's pretty obvious it was going to be an enormous draw. It then overflowed into the hallway and got mixed up with the crowd waiting for the One Piece panel nearby. As a fan of One Piece, I wanted to go to that panel, but nobody knew who was for which line, and the person in charge of lines wastotally caught off guard by how huge the lines were and got overwhelmed.

poonk wrote:
I've lost almost all interest in cons once they became more like generic "nerd"-culture events (and I put it that in quotes because a lot of it actually seems to revolve around remarkably mainstream, super-popular properties).

Nerd-stuff can be mainstream and super-popular.

Sailor S wrote:
You don't know very many people then, do you? I budget around $2000 for a convention, my friend does the same. For Sakura-Con this year, flying out from Massachusetts the ticket would have cost about $350 round trip, but I paid for it with airline miles. Splitting the hotel with him was somewhere in the neighborhood of $450 each for the 4 nights. Food budget of around $100 a day, because who wants to eat granola bars when they're on vacation? And of course the badge, which is only a $40-$50 hit, but that leaves plenty of money for various things like transportation to and from airport, and spending money for whatever catches my eye in the dealer's room. It's pretty ridiculous to act like that's some sort of insane rich person's folly. Your attitude is what's offensive here, not the article which seems to be very reasonable, especially in regards to budget.

$100 a day for food? Where are you eating, reservation-only fine dining? At Anime Expo, I travel out to the food trucks to eat, and my spending $25 on food per day I already consider pretty high. I can only imagine $2000 to spend if you save up the entire year to go to the convention or you have some high amount of disposable income.

My cap is $100 per day, total, by the way.

GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Also, regarding cabs, almost every major city regulates their cab industry, so if you're going to a con in a major city, you have almost nothing to worry about taking cabs. Mass transit should also be a thing you look into if you're a city worth it's name.

I can say that finding a cab in Los Angeles, however, can be troublesome, as taxi services are appointment-only in the region. It's not like New York City, where there are cabs everywhere and you can flag one down. Los Angeles also has a big gypsy cab scene, though they will usually treat you with respect too as they're in competition with licensed taxi drivers.

And then there's Uber, if you're interested in that. Also appointment-only, though I trust that way less than gypsy cab services.

kotomikun wrote:
And if you go to AX, don't even try to get autographs from anyone remotely popular unless you have a premier badge, get lucky with a raffle at the guest's panel, or have some other special advantage... otherwise you have almost no chance, there's too many fans and too little organization.

I got my Keldeo plush autographed by Vic Mignogna because I got my autograph ticket four hours in advance. I was STILL in the last third of the line though.

Fabe wrote:
Have you ever come across people playing games in hallways? I heard stories about that happening at conventions like DragonCon. I love board gaming but anyone who decides to start a game of Arhamn horror in a crowed hallway has no one to blame but them selves if others stomp over the board like the great cthulhu himself.

I've seen that at Anime Expo, but it's rare--Anime Expo has a VAST room set aside for gaming of all sorts.

kotomikun wrote:
The article specifically says "try not to share a room with more than one person" which is a bit much for the average attendee, given how often they stuff rooms to 8+ people. I would say that going beyond 6 in a supposedly 4-person room is excessive, and the hotels don't exactly like that behavior, but the main necessity is to make sure you're staying with people you can get along with, who won't party all night every night or fill the room with cigarette smoke or come back in the middle of the night literally piss-drunk (speaking from experience on that last one...).

Oh, it can get way worse than mere cigarette smoke.

KENZICHI wrote:
Another tip: It's also a good idea to store up on snacks lunches to take to the convention so that you're not waiting hours at a nearby Taco Bell since that's where everyone else at the con will go to too.

Nah, the people at Anime Expo who don't know about or don't want to eat at the food trucks will all crowd at the nearby Denny's and Applebee's.

There are a lot of diners, taverns, and bars (with bar food) near the Los Angeles Convention Center, but they tend to be pretty pricey. For some reason, that Irish pub/restaurant on Figueroa Street never seems to get too crowded despite it being about two blocks north of the convention center. There was one time I went into a California Pizza Kitchen four blocks north, upon request from a friend, and it was half-empty.

So I think it's more that as the distance increases, the crowdedness drops dramatically.

Cille wrote:
Don't steal the light bulbs in the elevators.

People do that sort of thing?
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, you people need survival guides for conventions, seriously? I advise you to never, ever go to open-air music festivals, you'd probably die.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
As a staff member, I don't deal with some of these issues (but I do deal with a bunch of other stuff attendees don't). We're thankfully not jammed into a single room, as we only get up to four people (one year, two didn't show up so it was just two of us in a room). Since it's early mornings and late nights, crowded shuttles or long waits for one is not an issue for me.

When I have free time to attend anything, I do come across those awkward Q&A sessions at panels. It's especially cringe-worthy when it happens with Japanese guests.

invalidname wrote:
Does any other con mail badges in advance, and if not, why not? Is widespread counterfeiting seriously that legitimate a concern?

AX last mailed out badges in 2006. Since then, as others have mentioned, they no longer do it due to counterfeiting (which I personally don't think is a big issue) and to verify identification. AX will be mailing Premier Badges this year.

Sometimes, those huge panels may give out goodies at the door or have some limited raffle. I thought the Sword Art Online II autographed illustrated board was cool. Although, even after that long line at AX, they had a bunch extra that they handed to staff nearby (that's how I got mine Razz).

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If you have to, you can sleep in your car. Razz

Although it wasn't because I was being cheap, I had to do that once at AX2007 and AX2012. At AX2012, traffic was so bad in the grapevine that I got to LA in the middle of the night after Day 0, missing my chance at staff parking and getting to the hotel (so yes, I did cheap out on parking at the hotel). I parked at the nearest free lot at a rail station and slept there. Just left my car there and took the train in the morning.
TalussAthner

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
I really feel like the part about not sharing a room really depends on who you're going with. If you have a good group of people in your room it only improves the con. I always have a room full of friends and it makes it fun to hang out in for a little bit and you can get help from others if you're cosplaying. What you should do is try and find out the size of your room and adjust accordingly, I've been in a hotel for my past 2 cons that had room for 7 people in it without feeling too crowded but also another where 4 felt liek a crowd, so that is an improtant part of it. Also i kinda feel like saying to not share a room with many people and to take a taxi are really only options if you have more money then most people going to cons do. I mostly agree with everything else though.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Regarding conventions not sending out badges via mail, their reason is valid:
I've seen certain young people at Wondercon pestering their friends to make photocopy of the original badge just because they don't want to pay the money. That being said, not everyone is honorable and some of them will go lengths to make perfect forgery.

Asrialys wrote:
AX last mailed out badges in 2006. Since then, as others have mentioned, they no longer do it due to counterfeiting (which I personally don't think is a big issue) and to verify identification. AX will be mailing Premier Badges this year.

I've got three reasons to be skeptical about badge counterfeiting, which I think is more speculation/anecdote than actual thing:

1. It requires the deeply cynical assumption that a large number of attendees are going to try to cheat the very con they're interested in, for the sake of a badge that only costs $40 or so. And yet…
  2. It assumes that these same cheaters are also so industrious and talented that they will succeed in creating forgeries that pass a basic inspection. And then there's the empirical consideration that…
  3. The third-largest con in North America (Anime Central) has been doing mail-out badges for years with no problems, at least nothing so bad they chose to stop offering badges in advance.

Keep in mind that advance ticketing is also how our society generally does admission to major sporting and music events. Are those subject to widespread counterfeiting?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
I like going to the Q&A panels since I can directly ask a VA a question (for example, I will be asking Chuck Huber about his Great Pyrenees that he used/still has at Phoenix Comicon today) that I might not get a response from by email, FB, or Twitter.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Wait at least 30 minutes before the line actually starts- I'm not sure if this applies to other conventions, but in Otakon, people usually gather near the line before it actually starts. The rules of the line don't apply there, so you can get as close to the front as you can. The only rule they do have is not to crowd the walkway. Of course, this means your stuck in the same place for about an hour, so make sure you have a book, a handheld game, or a friend in line to converse with.

Don't Get Your Hopes Up With Vic Mignogna- In Otakon 2013, my brother wasn't able to get his Edward Elric figure signed twice. His fangirls hold up the line because they're asking him his life-story, and this will actually cause people who are in line to get screwed over. Also, those tickets they give you to come back an hour later are BS.

Beware of Last-Minute Changes- I'm not sure if I just got lucky on my first Otakon or Otakon 2012 was really that unprepared, but I remember dealing with a lot of last-minute changes regarding autographs. First, we had Jason David Frank. I short-sightedly backed down on his autograph the first day since I figured he'd still be there on the second. When I got to the line, I wasn't able to get in because it was so crowded. To make things worse, I found out that he was able to get a third signing that I didn't find out about because I didn't have a smartphone. Another last minute change was Brina Palencia backing out of the "Steins;Gate" signing with J. Michael Tatum and Trina Nishimura. I printed out a nice-looking Rei Ayanami picture for nothing. Thankfully, this wasn't a problem for me the next two years.

You Will Be Punished for Paying Early- The Otakon Pre-Registration line is heatstroke waiting to happen. They have the pre-reg line on the side of the building that's facing the sun, and it took longer to get to the convention than the door-registration. Shouldn't that get switched around? If the people who paid early are going to have to wait longer, at least let them wait in the shade.

Don't Wear Your Costume in Line- If it's during a summer convention, it'll get drenched in sweat. If it's during a fall/winter convention, make sure it's not a revealing outfit. Getting people to ask for your picture isn't worth ruining your costume or freezing to death over.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

1. It requires the deeply cynical assumption that a large number of attendees are going to try to cheat the very con they're interested in, for the sake of a badge that only costs $40 or so. And yet…
  2. It assumes that these same cheaters are also so industrious and talented that they will succeed in creating forgeries that pass a basic inspection. And then there's the empirical consideration that…
  3. The third-largest con in North America (Anime Central) has been doing mail-out badges for years with no problems, at least nothing so bad they chose to stop offering badges in advance.

Keep in mind that advance ticketing is also how our society generally does admission to major sporting and music events. Are those subject to widespread counterfeiting?

Actually, yes, major sporting events do sometimes have issues with counterfeiting, especially the really big ones. And weekend-long con badges for the major cons typically run well over $40; I don't think even the the order-months-in-advance badges at Acen ran that cheap, and the base weekend-long badge for Gen Con, the country's biggest gaming-focused con (over 56k unique attendance last year) runs at twice that.

That being said, I have not in years heard much talk about counterfeit badge concerns.

Concerning dealer's rooms, when I go to major cons I am typically looking for one of three things:
1. Something that is being released before its official street date. (Some anime and game companies commonly do this.)
2. Something that is not readily available elsewhere. (For me this often means anime OSTs or wall scrolls, or it could be old games that you didn't even know existed; I recently ran across Ghettopoly this way.)
3. Something that I would only buy if I could see it in person first. (I'm not going be plunking down serious money on a functional sword via online ordering, for instance, and I have been known to buy such things at cons.)

The exception to the above is T-shirts. Those are great to buy at cons because typically a dealer will have dozens of options to peruse all in one spot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meruru

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Get a hotel mini fridge and bring easy to prepare food. The nearby restaurants will be mobbed, and you'll save time and money. Also carry with you things you might to take care of minor problems that are a big pain if they come up while you're on a trip, like bandaids. And water bottles are important when in crowded stuffy panel rooms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8