• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Things They Never Tell You About Attending Conventions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
I haven't read through every reply but here is some advice for Otakon

* If you really want to get in a panel always line up at the start of the previous panel in the same room. You are almost guareenteed to get in.

Unfortunately that means you can't get into everything so it's about sacrifice and choosing what you really want to go to.

* However if there are 2 events you want to see back to back in the same room Otakon usually doesn't do room clears (unless it is a huge event or an over 18 event)

* As for autographs my suggestion is to go on the Otakon boards and read about a certain guests policies before hand & be prepared. We haven't really started talking about autographs yet but trust me we will.

It is true the autograph & panel are usually scheduled back to back and you can't do both but most guests usually have 2 autograph & panel sessions. So you can do both on separate days.

* The Dealer Room line is super crowded when it first opens but don't worry afterwards you can just walk right in. And Otakon doesn't really get exclusive deals so it's not worth waiting in that line unless you want to. I have done it but not because I need to.

* Also lines suck but it is a great way to meet people. Also I don't know about AX & Comic Con but in my view the long line events usually are worth it at Otakon. But it really depends on your interest.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If they were "abundant" this year then they must have been in areas that I did not go, and I was there both Friday evening and all day Saturday. Admittedly, though, I did not queue for or attend any of the dances.

Aw, you were there? I had hoped to meet you at ACen one of these years. Maybe in 2016. I'm pretty easy to find, as the only person in a crowd of 30,000 that cosplays Muv-Luv Alternative and Rumbling Hearts. (and yet they didn't have an "obscure" entry on the cosplay photo schedule this year! darn!)
Quote:
(And it's funny that you should mention the smell of smoke, since the Hyatt did have to be temporarily evacuated that Friday night due to a fire alarm going off - and that was during both the rave and Anime Hell. Impressively, people just automatically re-queued for the events when we were allowed back in the building; no one had to tell them to do anything.)

The evacuation of the Hyatt has become something of an unfortunate tradition at ACen -- I can't remember a year when it hasn't happened. I saw a tweet saying that ACen probably ought to put an enforcer on every floor of the Hyatt just to prevent pranksters from pulling fire alarms, and given the level of disruption it causes, that might be appropriate.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
The advice in the article seems like it's catered to a very specific type of con-goer, namely old people who aren't as gung-ho about the actual convention and want to make it more like a leisurely vacation. I think anyone in their 20's or anyone who's ever been camping is going to be okay sharing a hotel room with people. I think the more widely applicable advice is: Vet your roommates. Taxis also seem kind of unnecessary when I've been able to walk everywhere at the conventions I've gone to. Maybe my experience isn't diverse enough. I will say it is good planning to prepare for any kind of weather though.

That bit about fan Q&A is spot on. 90% of the questions asked are cringe-inducingly thoughtless. I've found myself at times only being able to watch those through the cracks of my fingers; as if my hands would somehow shield me from the awkwardness of it all.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
I've found the Q/A panels are far worse at seiyuu/VA panels then at Director/Producers panels. Of course there are always exceptions and a good moderator helps.

The worst I've been to was the Dante Basco panel at last year's Otakon. The moderator did nothing while people asked 3-4 questions each and most of them were can I have a picture or hug. It was embarrassing although Basco was encouraging it a bit. He was being too nice.

Although maybe I am getting older and as much as I don't mind the lines I am starting to hate the crowds at Otakon. I do like the big guests and premieres though so a smaller con isn't my style. I wish I could have a smaller con with the big con experience though.

I felt I kind of got that with a Doctor Who con I went to in Long Island this past fall. The guest list was amazing (well if you are a classic who fan) and I didn't have to worry about getting into anything. I did have a premiere pass but I think it only benefited me for one autograph. Also autographs were charged but they were reasonably priced not like the ridiculous fees they try to charge you at Wizard Cons. They also had great programming & meals with the guests. One of the best con experiences I had. Although I don't think any anime con could emulate it & give the same experience.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
The advice in the article seems like it's catered to a very specific type of con-goer, namely old people who aren't as gung-ho about the actual convention and want to make it more like a leisurely vacation. I think anyone in their 20's or anyone who's ever been camping is going to be okay sharing a hotel room with people. I think the more widely applicable advice is: Vet your roommates. Taxis also seem kind of unnecessary when I've been able to walk everywhere at the conventions I've gone to. Maybe my experience isn't diverse enough. I will say it is good planning to prepare for any kind of weather though.

Yeah, the point of the article is if you can afford this or make space in your budget for it, do it, it's worth it. If you can't then it doesn't apply to you.

Even when I was in my 20's and going to conventions, nobody "camping out" in a hotel room with 5 other people was happy to do it. They thought it might be fun the first time, then reality set in. Most of the people doing that were complaining about bad sleep and zero privacy all weekend long; even the "well it's just a place to sleep!" people were cranky. That didn't just happen once, it was every time I knew someone turning a hotel room into a sardine can at tens of conventions over a decade. Of course you can hack it, but if you can afford to stay in a room with fewer people (or by yourself or with your spouse only) you should, and IMO it's worth carving money out from other places in your budget to do that. That's what I'm saying.

Convention tips for broke teenagers is a completely different article and most of what you see in other 'con survival tips' articles is aimed at them. This is for the rest of us.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Oh wow, you got to be on Jeopardy!? I love watching Jeopardy!, so it's pretty cool to know someone on Anime News Network has been on it.

Anime Expo attendees must be a lazy bunch or something. How far away are those restaurants like McDonald's and such? Around the LACC, there's a sharp dropoff after about three blocks, even though after about five blocks there are a ton of affordable restaurants. Going south, there is a massive row of restaurants with cheap food, ranging from nationwide fast food chains to local businesses. It's meant to serve USC, but it's about a 20-minute walk from the convention center.

Yeah, I was on Jeopardy last year. I taped my episode in March, and it aired on June 25th. I came in third place, won $1000, half of which I spent paying back my family for the plane and hotel costs (no, they don't pay for you to fly out, but the flight wasn't all that bad, around $330 round trip from JFK, and they give you a discounted hotel deal as well), and the other half I mostly spent on merch at NYCC last year. If you look up the episode, you might find out my real name (shock and horror!).

The McDonald's is 1 block down 34th from the Javits, and it always gets packed. Other fast food places are closer to Madison Square Garden and Penn Station, maybe 3 blocks away. Still, these are NY avenue blocks, so 1/5 of a mile each? A decent walk, probably more suited to when you're leaving the con for the day. Javits is kinda far from everything, since it's on 11th right near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel, so there's nothing really there for at least a block around except for the hot dog carts and that McDonald's.

The city is redeveloping the area with condos and office buildings as part of the Hudson Yards project, another legacy of Mayor Bloomberg, after the whole plan for a new stadium for the Jets and NY's 2012 Olympics bid over the old train yard fell through. So there might be better options there in a couple of years, when the construction is done and depending on who moves in.

Also, once they open the new 7 train extension to Javits from Times Square, it might be easier to get to and from the convention center, but the MTA has been saying that they'll get it finished for years now, and it hasn't happened. They say it'll happen this year before NYCC happens in October, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Passing by there a couple months ago, it looks like it might open by then as the construction is mostly done at least from what I saw, but then again, knowing the MTA, who really knows when they'll get their construction done...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
At AX, stay away from the LACC foyer from 10am-noon on day 1 unless you want to be in that crowd that someone photographed for Zac's article. Wait until 12:15pm and you can get in after the legitimate stampeeeed and if your exhibit hall plan is focused, you won't miss out on merchandise.

Oh, I tried that last year and missed getting hats of Happy from Fairy Tail. They were sold out almost immediately. You not only had to be there when the exhibit hall opened, you had to be near the front. I also failed the year before to obtain a plush of Twilight Sparkle, as by the time I found a vendor that sold them, they had already all been sold.

Really sorry to hear it, I've never had that problem though. If there is a very specific item I want, I look up possible vendors the day before in the exhibit guide and make a fast bee-line to those first. By all means then, if what you are wanting is likely to be rare or in short supply stay in the LACC foyer from about 10am on because that is the only way you will be near the front. In that case, for AX you will want to get in the line for registration by 7am. Also, tip #4 don't wait to register at-con. There were so many problems with that last year, I feel sorry for those who went through it.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
If it's not too late, my tip for AX is never get the "premier fan" badge, it's not worth the delta in cost. The only thing you get more than the "regular attendee" is access to the lounge, which crowds up anyway. At the Last Exile premier, the "premier fans" lined up alongside us "regular" fans and only got to get in slightly sooner than us which gave them no special advantage. I've been going to AX for years and I have never seen "fans" have any advantage. Also, tip #2 is to stay away from the convention center foyer from 10am-noon on day 1 unless you want to be in that crowd that someone photographed for Zac's article. Wait until 12:15pm and you can get in after the legitimate stampeeeed and if your exhibit hall plan is focused, you won't miss out on merchandise. Tip #3, last year the compass cafe' did away with the Ramune and Pocky and really good sushi, so bring your own snacks and go to the food trucks across the street.

Haha, I actually just bought a premier badge the other day. Mostly cause I wanted to get it mailed to me and not have to stand in line on day zero. But apparently I missed the cut off date for that anyway, so I'd have to pick it up in the premier lounge on day 1 (which sounds like less a hassle I suppose, but who knows). Luckily, it looks I can still refund it if I want too, and just order a regular badge. Still not sure if I will or not, never got a premier badge before so I wanted to see what it was like.

Any second opinions?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think AX Premier is a waste this year IF you go for autographs. And I say this as someone who has gone as Premier for several years.

Read the autograph policy this year. It sounds great, doesn't it...line up and you'll get a ticket. But this is a con that attracts 80K people, and one where people will not hesitate to line up hours before the autograph booth opens just to be one of 75 guaranteed slots.

Point being..if you want an autograph this year, expect no sleep.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Honestly, I think AX Premier is a waste this year IF you go for autographs. And I say this as someone who has gone as Premier for several years.

Read the autograph policy this year. It sounds great, doesn't it...line up and you'll get a ticket. But this is a con that attracts 80K people, and one where people will not hesitate to line up hours before the autograph booth opens just to be one of 75 guaranteed slots.

Point being..if you want an autograph this year, expect no sleep.

At this point I'd mostly use it as a front of the line pass. I got the premier badge knowing that it wouldnt help for autographs. My first few AXs I was definitely autograph crazy, now I only really get like one or two autographs when Im there, and I treat em like a bonus for being there rather than my main reason for being there
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
I think anyone in their 20's or anyone who's ever been camping is going to be okay sharing a hotel room with people.

You don't have to be "old" to be an introvert either. I'm in my 20s. You couldn't pay me to spend 72+ hours sharing a small space with more than two other people. Okay, maybe with my job you could pay me, but you get my point. I wouldn't fork money out of my own pocket to do it.

The article doesn't say not to share the room anyway, it just says if you can afford to share with just one other person you'll probably be happier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Yeah, I was on Jeopardy last year. I taped my episode in March, and it aired on June 25th. I came in third place, won $1000, half of which I spent paying back my family for the plane and hotel costs (no, they don't pay for you to fly out, but the flight wasn't all that bad, around $330 round trip from JFK, and they give you a discounted hotel deal as well), and the other half I mostly spent on merch at NYCC last year. If you look up the episode, you might find out my real name (shock and horror!).

The McDonald's is 1 block down 34th from the Javits, and it always gets packed. Other fast food places are closer to Madison Square Garden and Penn Station, maybe 3 blocks away. Still, these are NY avenue blocks, so 1/5 of a mile each? A decent walk, probably more suited to when you're leaving the con for the day. Javits is kinda far from everything, since it's on 11th right near the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel, so there's nothing really there for at least a block around except for the hot dog carts and that McDonald's.

The city is redeveloping the area with condos and office buildings as part of the Hudson Yards project, another legacy of Mayor Bloomberg, after the whole plan for a new stadium for the Jets and NY's 2012 Olympics bid over the old train yard fell through. So there might be better options there in a couple of years, when the construction is done and depending on who moves in.

Also, once they open the new 7 train extension to Javits from Times Square, it might be easier to get to and from the convention center, but the MTA has been saying that they'll get it finished for years now, and it hasn't happened. They say it'll happen this year before NYCC happens in October, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Passing by there a couple months ago, it looks like it might open by then as the construction is mostly done at least from what I saw, but then again, knowing the MTA, who really knows when they'll get their construction done...

Heh, knowing which episode it is won't do me any good, because if I find an archive of Jeopardy!, I'm going to watch episode after episode after episode, and I'll find the day over in a flash.

That reminds me: Sounds like your options in NYC are getting better. I just remembered that it's going to get worse in LA. AIG Stadium is going to be built right next to the LACC, which will make the already terrible traffic into a nightmare and a lot more people wandering around everywhere.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Really sorry to hear it, I've never had that problem though. If there is a very specific item I want, I look up possible vendors the day before in the exhibit guide and make a fast bee-line to those first. By all means then, if what you are wanting is likely to be rare or in short supply stay in the LACC foyer from about 10am on because that is the only way you will be near the front. In that case, for AX you will want to get in the line for registration by 7am. Also, tip #4 don't wait to register at-con. There were so many problems with that last year, I feel sorry for those who went through it.

Yeah, more common things I can find at the Frank & Son Collectible Show. As a matter of fact, I eventually found both of the above-mentioned rare items on my list at Frank & Son. (And Little Miss Twilight became common in 2014, with at least 12 vendors selling plushes of her on the third day.)

Apparently, the most infamous item that ran out within minutes in 2014 was the Espurr hat, as Espurr had become memetic among Pokémon fans. Only one vendor was left selling Espurr plushes by the afternoon of the first day, and they were charging $50 for a 4-inch plush. Not worth it, if you ask me. Maybe they'll have more Espurr hats in 2015 when vendors recognize the demand for them.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
Reading articles like this is like reading NASA reports from the Mars rover. These kind of giant conventions sound terrifying to me! I dont think we have anything quite on this scale in Australia...and even if we did, nothing I hear about the large cons appeals to me at all.
I also used to get surprised at how common it is to actually fly somewhere just for a con, but I guess it makes a lot more sense with the big ones in the US.

Granted I don't have much interest in what happens at cons anyway - the press releases and news are always on the internet the next day (often sooner due to twitter etc), merch is overpriced and can be bought online, my slight dabble in the elitist world of cosplay has scared me away from that for good. Sometimes the guests can be worth seeing...but only if you're prepared to wait forever. Nowadays I'm only going for the artist alley, but ticket prices are a bit steep for just that.

I guess this is what it means to be getting old...
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Heh, knowing which episode it is won't do me any good, because if I find an archive of Jeopardy!, I'm going to watch episode after episode after episode, and I'll find the day over in a flash.

That reminds me: Sounds like your options in NYC are getting better. I just remembered that it's going to get worse in LA. AIG Stadium is going to be built right next to the LACC, which will make the already terrible traffic into a nightmare and a lot more people wandering around everywhere.

I don't think there's a legal place online to watch old Jeopardy episodes that aren't taken down shortly by Sony Pictures TV. The closest I know of is j-archive.org, which posts all the clues of every single Jeopardy episode, and the responses given for them. Helped me out a bit when I was cramming for my own appearance.

And yeah, the options over by Javits are getting a bit better, but it still doesn't help when your con is oversold, way too crowded, with people still desperate to get in, and ReedPop rumored to be cutting Crew numbers to continue to increase profit at the show, as well as their tendency to hire too many newbies instead of returning Crew members who know what they're doing... Oh well, we'll make it work like we always have...
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:
I think anyone in their 20's or anyone who's ever been camping is going to be okay sharing a hotel room with people.

You don't have to be "old" to be an introvert either. I'm in my 20s. You couldn't pay me to spend 72+ hours sharing a small space with more than two other people. Okay, maybe with my job you could pay me, but you get my point. I wouldn't fork money out of my own pocket to do it.

The article doesn't say not to share the room anyway, it just says if you can afford to share with just one other person you'll probably be happier.

The article was obviously written from the point of view of an introvert. Like most anime fans are anyway. I also hate sleeping with other people in the same room.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8