• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Brave Mew World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

No, no, the 4Kids hate dates back to the (pre-CN) days...

I totally understand your point. I don't mean that the hate originated from YGOTABS, but rather I wonder if it's helped to keep the flame burning and exposed younger fans to it.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
About the 4Kids hate, one thing I need to stress is that, other than One Piece, their "work" is still felt by fans of the other series. I mean, if you're a Tokyo Mew Mew fan or a Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters fan or a Sonic X fan and wants a nice, faithful (non-Animax) English dub of those shows, you're out of luck. It's not like Streamline releases that are mostly redubbed -- 4Kids's handprint just won't go away.

(I guess we could say the same thing about Saban, though to be honest, the only anime property they had/have that anyone cares abut is Digimon, and Saban's-Digimon-haters are very much vocal about their feelings).
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Man... it's been like 7 since the Funimation dub first came out and some people are still complaining about 4kids...

Funi had it much longer than 4kids did and dubbed three times as many episodes...

I guess there's a certain Nostalgic vibe to making fun of 4kids... I mean that dub is over 10 years old...

Also I have fanfic I've been updating on off for the past several years and it has chapters dedicated to making fun of 4kids back when they had so I think that also exasperates the problem too...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Quote:
To my knowledge, Sentai has never officially gone back on a license after it was announced.

I think Ro-Kyu-Bu! is the only one.

And that was a special circumstance. Warner Brothers pulled it from international distribution and bought back the rights from Sentai.

As for Glass Mask, GinTama, and Eyeshield, Sentai did release the entirety of what they had licensed. They just chose not to license additional episodes due to poor sales. Every anime company has done this at one time or another.
se37

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I think some of the hate is misplaced for 4Kids. While there were shows that they really screwed up, like One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew. However, I have heard that they really didn't want One Piece. There were other shows that they well such as TMNT and even Sonic X wasn't that bad. I think people on the internet just saw that bashing 4Kids was the in thing to do and it still hurts today with some of the poor jobs they did in some of the series. Despise the fact that if it wasn't for 4Kids these same people wouldn't be into anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
After the shutdown of 4Kids years earlier, one would think that the hate towards them would die down by now. It seems that their involvement within the anime industry from the late 1990's to 2011 must still have people harboring a grudge against them.

Tell me about it. Those "people" really need to put a sock in it though. Yes we get it, they were a stupid company for maiming anime with their kid-friendly brain dead drivel editing, and they made their own ship sink. The funeral is over and has been over for a long time, yet people still feel the need to keep dancing on their grave, expecting someone to listen to their ranting (hint to them: you're in a cemetery, and not even the dead want to hear you).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
I think some of the hate is misplaced for 4Kids. While there were shows that they really screwed up, like One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew.

And to be accurate, it was Nelvana who mangled Cardcaptors, even though Nelvana had pretty much cornered the market on almost every mainstream English cartoon in the 90's, and didn't need to compete with 4Kids on their own turf except that they thought they had a player.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
To my knowledge, Sentai has never officially gone back on a license after it was announced

What about Gintama, Glass Mask, and Eyeshield 21? I

Those are incomplete. They still did get released in some form though. (Ro-Kyu-bu is the only one that I know if that got pulled, and we don't know if Sentai initiated that or if Warner did)
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
(Ro-Kyu-bu is the only one that I know if that got pulled, and we don't know if Sentai initiated that or if Warner did)

Since Ro-Kyu-bu! got pulled worldwide except for Asia, it's likely Warner's doing and not Sentai.

Quote:
I'd love to collect the series on Blu-ray or DVD...

It's likely it might be DVD only, since it's only being released in Japan on DVD currently.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Very happy to see Tokyo Mew Mew on the sidebar. Anime cry It also trended on Twitter a few months ago due to Satomi Akesaka's involvement with the Tokyo Mew Mew idol group Mew 5. (I was like... There were people who didn't know about that???)

Anyway.

I guess the remaining beef I have with 4Kids is that a few of their shows have NOT been relicensed for a proper DVD release (uncut and with Japanese audio). Specifically Tokyo Mew Mew and Shaman King, two of my favorites (I read the manga first). I'm still waiting for a Blu-ray box of both in Japan, and the Shaman King DVD boxes in Japan are nearly impossible to get at a reasonable price nowadays... Too bad I moved there in 2012. Now the boxes can range from 300 (not that bad) to 700 (crazy for a third of the 60-something episode series).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The distribution companies that handle 99% of anime releases in the US and elsewhere in the West bend over backwards for fans, answering emails personally, appearing at conventions, and interacting via social media. It may not seem like it sometimes, but the level of customer support in the anime world is head and shoulders above nearly every other part of the entertainment world.

Stepping back and appreciating this quote because, yeah, who else in entertainment is catering to the fans like this? Movie studios? Professional sports leagues? Anyone?

Easy to forget how good we have it sometimes. Not a lot of niche entertainment has more good stuff available, free-with-ads or cheap-to-stream, than we could ever consume.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
In case any of you were interested, ANN interviewed Alfred R. Kahn in 2005. Can't believe that was already ten years ago.
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2005-04-24/alfred-r-kahn

Just from hearing his responses, I don't think I like this guy very much.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I agree the whole "4Kids IS DA BANE OF EXISTANCE!" thing isn't really funny anymore (and never really was to me frankly). Personally besides the abomination that was 4Piece(though admittedly I prefer Marc Diarson's Zoro to Chris Sabat's but it's a minor thing at this point), I've never really held too much of a grudge against them. Still generally prefer their dub of Pokemon, dumb cultural changes and all to PUSA's lifeless dub and the YGO dub has a mostly narm-y charm to it though I do kind of wish we could have gotten an uncut dub of 5D's. That said I'm not too sad to see them gone in the long run since they garnered their horrible rep for a reason, though they did try to appease anime fans in their final days so I'll always wonder what could have been if that had continued.

Also wouldn't mind Shaman King getting rescued with their dub attached since I have a really weird sense of attachment to it (plus the manga's superior to either version for me anyway) and I enjoy laughing at how bizarrely unedited a lot of it was for it's time, but that's an extremely personal thing. Laughing
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Having an unofficial "bad guy" gives anime fans a rallying point,

Funny, I always thought it was Carl Maeck that was the Bad Guy of anime? Have I just not been keeping up?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Quote:
Having an unofficial "bad guy" gives anime fans a rallying point,

Funny, I always thought it was Carl Maeck that was the Bad Guy of anime? Have I just not been keeping up?

I was under the impression that these days it's between Voyager and Harmony Gold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7