• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Reasons Why Blood Blockade Battlefront is the Best Show of the Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
i can already see this being in the best of 2015 Anime from hope Chapman's end when it comes at the end of the year.

Also years from now i can also see BBB being compared as a classic anime for the anime fan must watch or hear just like Baccano! and Cow Boy bebop before it.

Rightfully so this series really is different compared to most standard anime that air these days...particular cause of its western setting and plot line which is different from the norm...not to mention the whole exploration of the world building and unique characters within it..

Personally i would not call it the best spring title or the best for this year but it is definitely a show which has it's merits and will make it's mark in anime history. At the very least this defiantly bones most spectuler title thay have released since FMAB
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel more or less the same as @justsomeaccount. This is definitely a good show... but I don't like it as much as I should. I don't know... it's something about the pacing and how certain parts of the plot are presented that irks me the wrong way. I also have some issues with the sound editing, which I sometimes find lacking, a bad thing for a show that relies so much in action.

Again, definitely a good show, but I can't just call it the "Best" show of the spring when it's on my low priority list (shows that don't make me feel a sense of urgency whenever I see a new episode up).
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Yep, best of the season. I think basically everyone but Fate/Stay Night fans recognize that. Fate fans have been too busy watching Fate for the past few seasons to know that any other new anime have come out. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pipoko

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's pretty great, probably also my personal favorite from this season. I think it's the humanism that makes it for me, episode 6 is the best example. The relationship between Leo and White kinda demonstartes the other thing I love - she's not in the episodes as much as everyone from Libra (Klaus, Zapp and the general bantering and one-off characters are also really fun), but she's fun and the glimpes of her still manage to give her depth. Brief scenes and lines manage to convey a lot of character.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I feel pretty much the same as justsomeaccount and Via_01. It's been enjoyable so far (I've only seen the 3 dubbed episodes) but nothing amazing. It just feels like it moves too fast and gets confusing sometimes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I might have to check this one out. Seems to be garnering quite a bit of praise.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
While I guess I can be put into the camp who really likes but not totally loves the show I think I feel more positively than negatively about it since unlike stuff like Terror in Resonance or the second half of fate I don't feel like this style and animation is being wasted on drek. I'v slowly but surely grown to like the characters but I'm not sure if I'm going to be screaming "ZOMG THIS IS THE BEST ANIME IN YEARS I WANT THIS ON MY SHELF NOAOW!1" like I have with Kyousogiga (I don't care what you say about the second half the first half of the series was great and it was thematically consistent with a solid ending). More than anything I'm glad to see Matsumoto getting opportunities to show her directorial chops because it's definitely nice to know a name of an anime director that isn't Urobuchi or Wantanabe.

I'll have to check out that dub at some point, the clips I've seen haven't really sold me but maybe watching the whole episode will.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the subs of BBB every week, and I do have to say that the English dub is great, and it helps bring clarity to the fast pace and minor details I missed while watching the subs.

Especially for the first two episodes - I had no idea how much I missed until the English dub came along and helped things click.

So, I recommend the dubs for anyone who is having trouble keeping up! Funi is doing a great job with this one.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
In production and score this show knows no rival this season, but I still don`t have it high on my list. For me it tries a bit too hard to be cool, and I have an issue with Nightow`s version of humanism as he seems to glorify martyrs (Trigun). I can see this series gaining all sorts of accolades and it deserves them, but it`s not so much for me. This definitely is going to be one of those good shows to introduce Americans to anime. They not only reference New York a lot, but many production parts are more Hollywood than your average anime.
SonOfaMonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Nice piece! Everyone needs to be watching BBB. One correction though: Since Yasuhiro Nightow is a Christian AFAIK, he can't also be a humanist. The two terms are mutually exclusive, unless he's somehow claimed to be both, in which case I doubt the denotative meanings of the words apply. But I know what you mean!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
SonOfaMonkey wrote:
Nice piece! Everyone needs to be watching BBB. One correction though: Since Yasuhiro Nightow is a Christian AFAIK, he can't also be a humanist. The two terms are mutually exclusive, unless he's somehow claimed to be both, in which case I doubt the denotative meanings of the words apply. But I know what you mean!

While it is possible to be both provided you're not a super-devout christian and have a little more laissez-faire attitude about it, Nightow is actually a lapsed Catholic, which is to say he was once Catholic and is no longer but still has a soft spot for elements of catholic tradition. He was Buddhist in childhood, Catholic in adulthood, and now just sort of whatever. Trigun actually reads as a really interesting "religious individual coming to terms with a complex reality" piece, so I wonder (but don't know) if his beliefs were in transition while writing it. Considering he wrote it over the course of many, many years, seems likely.
Nyron

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The show is great, and I'm really happy it's as popular as it deserves

All of its flaws can be traced back to the fact it's a truncated adaption of an unadaptable manga.

Everyone should check out the manga.

EVERYONE

Because it lacks all of the pacing and directorial issues the anime has, and is genuinely cool in every way.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Kekkai Sensen is certainly good, for the reasons given, but the best show of the season for me is clearly the new Tesagure. You can have all the ambition and interesting ideas you want, but they don't compare with a show levels above in achieving its aims, even if they are more humble ones of promoting a show and being funny.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I will agree that BBB is the best show of the season, but there's just something missing, for me. It's enjoyable, wacky, zany, fun and stylish, and while I like almost all of the characters so far, I don't love any of them. There's just not enough emotional connection to any of them to really care too much (Klaus is my favorite character so far, though). It also moves way too fast for my taste, and the lack of focus on any main plot despite it being a single cour show is dragging it down in my opinion. I'm also concerned about how this show will wrap up. At this point, the ending will determine my ultimate feelings about the show. If they don't manage to tie up the loose ends, here's hoping for a season 2.
Best soundtrack of the season, though, definitely. Maybe not the year, but still, extra impressive.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
SonOfaMonkey wrote:

There is actually a such thing as Christian humanism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_humanism
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7