• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Reasons Why Blood Blockade Battlefront is the Best Show of the Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Haven't bothered to watch this one yet, as I tend to not be very interested in those stylistic action romps with a bunch of energy as they seem to just wear out their welcome for me very quickly. I'm not a fan of Basquash or Coyote Ragtime Show and those seem to be parallels that I've drawn from my admittedly small research into this. Lots of stylistic fast pace action that will draw in those who are into that sort of thing. This article didn't really help matters for me. It's quirky! It's goofy! It's got references to stuff you like! Fine and dandy, it seems to be a well made show and obviously has a lot of fans that love it, but it just hasn't piqued my interest this season.

If summer season runs dry I could see myself checking this out though, especially since I'd like to get some more use out of my FUNi subscription.

Oh, but as a sakuga lover I'd love to see some examples since that was one of the positive points listed but I didn't see a reference for an example of sakuga from the show.
Nyron

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As someone with no knowledge of the manga I can only judge what I see from the anime. I didn't see indestructability, I saw two blood breeds get beat in a subway (correct me if I'm wrong, one might have escaped I don't remember) and one being stopped by a single person, who if I recall correctly was missing parts of himself too or looked like her was.

Yeah, that was an anime problem through and through; the fact they did a whole ep hyping the Blood Breeds but they let the characters themselves be contained to like 5 minutes of content. The other dude in the white suit was her boy toy and had like 1 line of dialogue in the anime, but had a whole chapter devoted to him in the manga. He also started to regenerate after being splattered by Klaus in the manga after they all left, so even weaklings like him are functionally immortal.

The whole schtick behind the Blood Breed is that they're 1000-year old shapeshifting regenerators, and Klaus is the only one who can really stop them effectively because he can seal them.

Megiddo wrote:
Haven't bothered to watch this one yet, as I tend to not be very interested in those stylistic action romps with a bunch of energy as they seem to just wear out their welcome for me very quickly. I'm not a fan of Basquash or Coyote Ragtime Show and those seem to be parallels that I've drawn from my admittedly small research into this. Lots of stylistic fast pace action that will draw in those who are into that sort of thing. This article didn't really help matters for me. It's quirky! It's goofy! It's got references to stuff you like! Fine and dandy, it seems to be a well made show and obviously has a lot of fans that love it, but it just hasn't piqued my interest this season.

If summer season runs dry I could see myself checking this out though, especially since I'd like to get some more use out of my FUNi subscription.

Oh, but as a sakuga lover I'd love to see some examples since that was one of the positive points listed but I didn't see a reference for an example of sakuga from the show.

Basquash and CRS ran out of steam because they were directed badly, it has nothing to do with how they're stylistic

Meanwhile Bebop and Champloo didn't have those problems because they were excellent through-and-through, and consistent

Last edited by Nyron on Fri May 29, 2015 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I need a plushie of Sonic Speed Monkey....he's just way to cute and I already love him and the rest of the BBB cast after three episodes. <3

I really hope that BBB will get a second season. D:

Last edited by InuNaruPokeAlchemist on Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

There are two hyperlinks to sakuga stuff from the show in the paragraph starting with "So that's the short version." But here's the sakugabooru page.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Despite being a huge fan of Kyousougiga, I have to agree with other members who are on the fence about this show. I just started watching a few days ago because I couldn't avoid the hype, but the first episode disappointed me and it's been a lukewarm affair since. It seems like a show that's easy to fall into rhythm with because it's flashy, fast-paced and doesn't ask you to concentrate or think seriously about anything that's happening on-screen (that would ruin the fun). I gather that there is no real plot line so it's not beholden to pacing itself in such a way as to make you care about the endgame of its many outlandish narrative devices. The characters are paper thin and about half of them seem to serve no purpose in any given episode.

All of this would be at least forgivable if the series was as funny and whismical as its "action comedy" billing and absurd premise promises the viewer it will be...but its real crime, to me, is that it's so utterly burdened down by exposition (especially that first episode, my gawd) that all the fun gets sucked right out as character after character explains the world and everything that's happening RIGHT ON SCREEN rather than permitting the events to take place and speak for themselves. The show is a class act in telling, not showing, right from the first moments of the first episode: there's no faith that the viewer can figure out even the simplest of narrative mechanics to get from point A to point B.

The art direction is beautiful, however, and the ending theme is just my favorite thing at the moment. So there's that. I want to believe that this writer/director team can pull something off with the series that will redeem these shortcomings, but right now it seems like they're doing the whole kitchen sink routine and nothing's sticking for me.

Last edited by Alexis.Anagram on Fri May 29, 2015 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merengues.Pop

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I like the show, but the best from the season? In a season with Hibike Euphonium (KyoAni and it's care to detail at its best) and Oregairu (The most accurate anime ever about lonely teens), BBB falls short of being the best. Sometimes a bit of craziness is cool, sometimes not so much.

I won't say she's wrong lots of time as my taste may be shit (which I care not), but Ms Chapman is often wrong about what's the best show of a season. Now I'm pretty much giving up on BBB, it appears that every show she panders on end up disappointing me big time.

BBB need to gear up its game as I feel it has kinda lost the initial spark it had on the first five episodes. Is still far from falling into staggering disappointment as UBW or settle into staleness like Nagato Yuki-chan, but it's far from great.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen a lick of the show and this article really hasn't convinced me to. The way it's described just makes it sound like it's trying waaaaaaay too hard and basically my anime HYPE ZOMG SO COOL apparatus has been busted for a long time. I liked Baccano a lot, but got super effing tired of Kill la Kill and DRRR (as it went on). Since it's only 12 episodes it probably won't overstay its welcome though. And hey, it's BONES, so you already know it's gonna flop in disc sales so no second season is likely unless it's preplanned split cours.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I haven't seen a lick of the show and this article really hasn't convinced me to. The way it's described just makes it sound like it's trying waaaaaaay too hard and basically my anime HYPE ZOMG SO COOL apparatus has been busted for a long time. I liked Baccano a lot, but got super effing tired of Kill la Kill and DRRR (as it went on). Since it's only 12 episodes it probably won't overstay its welcome though. And hey, it's BONES, so you already know it's gonna flop in disc sales so no second season is likely unless it's preplanned split cours.

Yeah, say that to the 15k Blu-ray pre-order.
This show rocks even in the sales xD

(I've created this account with the solely purpose of replying this lol)
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Bravo, Hope Chapman! *applause* I need a Sonic Speed Monkey of my own as well as a Kuroneko-sama for him to play with.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm enjoying this show quite a bit. I was somewhat concerned that I wouldn't find anything that felt terribly interesting after Death Parade finished, but this seems to have it the spot.

which is ashame that its being released now instead of a year ago cause then it would have probably be a shoe win for this series to get an adult swim release since space dandy ended its run at that time. it would have been the perfect chance for this series to make a staple run on AS. though now that the dubs are released on their website, i'm afraid that its probably gonna be one of those "release on DVD first, then on TV" scenarios . Hopefully if Funi is smart they would have this series as well as the new version of Fairy Tail get the AS broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
I am enjoying this show (although I am a little behind only just watched episode 6) the setting is awesome and it's a fun romp. But I do feel it is a lot of style over substance. Not that there isn't any substance but the story at times is almost nonsensical. Thematically I also find it a bit weak. Perhaps the story will come together in later episodes.

Anyways I would still recommend it to people who are not sure because it has the best kind of style and the characters & chemistry are great. But at the same time don't buy completely into the hype. Its not the next best thing but it is a fun show. And I do like it enough to buy it when it is released from Funimation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

That'll be the first time BONES will have had a success since FMAB.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
danpmss wrote:

That'll be the first time BONES will have had a success since FMAB.

Is that... supposed to invalidate what he's saying? The show is successful. You said it would flop in disc sales. It hasn't.
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
I don't really see why this should be the header of the site. Sure, the show is fun, but it seems like the author just wants to recommend a series and uses the site for a mouthpiece which seems out of place here. A big header is usually for big announcements, like interviews with people or things concerning the site. I think it would be more fitting as just an interest article.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
The marquee is used for any piece of editorial or news we feel like putting there; it is routinely used for big reviews, interviews, special columns, con coverage, etc etc etc. You're going to see a lot more editorials like this (on a wide variety of subjects) moving forward.

This piece and Thursday's article about conventions are where we're headed with editorial right now: standalone opinion pieces. We're still experimenting to find out what works and what doesn't. So far so good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7