• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Reasons Why Blood Blockade Battlefront is the Best Show of the Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
danpmss wrote:
(I've created this account with the solely purpose of replying this lol)

That'll be the first time BONES will have had a success since FMAB.

Is that... supposed to invalidate what he's saying? The show is successful. You said it would flop in disc sales. It hasn't.

Interestingly enough, Kekkai Sensen (15.000+) has almost the same sales (at least in the preorders, I mean) as the first volume of Brotherhood (16.940).

That is something amazing IMO (even if the sales of the first volume of first FMA are like more than the double of these two together (64.992)).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That'll be the first time BONES will have had a success since FMAB.

They had Star Driver after Brotherhood right? I'm expecting Kekkai to be around 10k average similar to Star Driver's average.

Event ticket helps the 1st volume, currently tracking at ~15000 pts on stalker. Meanwhile 2nd volume is currently tracking at ~9000 pts on stalker. Of course as with anything with a really impressive episode this could all swing way above stalker's projections, especially since the female audience has latched onto this show and sales tend to be underestimated when that happens.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat May 30, 2015 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The marquee is used for any piece of editorial or news we feel like putting there; it is routinely used for big reviews, interviews, special columns, con coverage, etc etc etc. You're going to see a lot more editorials like this (on a wide variety of subjects) moving forward.

This piece and Thursday's article about conventions are where we're headed with editorial right now: standalone opinion pieces. We're still experimenting to find out what works and what doesn't. So far so good.

That's a fast response, I hope I didn't come over as entitled or one of those "change is bad, I don't like it" kind of person.
I don't mind these sorts of things once in a while, as long as it's still used for big articles and it doesn't turn into things like "ANIME GONE CRAZY?! HILARIOUS ERRORS IN X!". You're all professionals, so I'm likely worried about nothing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
We'll try not to let you down! Largely we want to modernize our editorial content a bit, move away from the rigid structure of turning every opinion piece into a column and allow our writers to write about things they're passionate and informed about in an interesting, relatable way.

We're actively trying to avoid the kind of super low-content "listicle with one sentence and a reaction gif" stuff.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Merengues.Pop wrote:
I like the show, but the best from the season? In a season with Hibike Euphonium (KyoAni and it's care to detail at its best) and Oregairu (The most accurate anime ever about lonely teens), BBB falls short of being the best. Sometimes a bit of craziness is cool, sometimes not so much.

I won't say she's wrong lots of time as my taste may be shit (which I care not), but Ms Chapman is often wrong about what's the best show of a season. Now I'm pretty much giving up on BBB, it appears that every show she panders on end up disappointing me big time.

Hm... I know I'm being pedantic and playing semantic games, but I'm not a fan of the phrase "the best". I'd rather use the phrase "my favorite". There are 2 fundamental assumptions that are being made here with lists that use "the best":

- It assumes that the writer has seen every show the season has to offer, or for bigger lists (for instance, the best sci-fi anime), ALL sci-fi anime, in order to justify the term "best".

- It also assumes that all shows from different genres in a single season can be compared objectively without personal bias using the same rubric. Can one compare a Slice-of-Life to a Horror?

That's why I prefer "favorite". It alerts the reader to the fact that the writer is self-reflexive enough to be cognizant of the inherent personal bias or that he/she has not watched everything.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't checked out the English dub myself yet, but I keep hearing good things about it, which makes me very happy. This type of show is good for getting people into anime who aren't already fans, and it seems like a good fit for Toonami as well, so obviously a good dub is important.

I normally don't care for primarily episodic series unless they're purely Slice-of-Life, and more mainstream-friendly anime usually bores or disappoints me, yet despite having both those factors against it I'm actually enjoying this show quite a bit. Although it is style over substance to a significant extent, just the style alone is sufficiently entertaining, plus there is still substance even if it's not the main appeal. It is unfortunate however that it's only a single cours, as having more time to explore the characters — especially the villains — could have made it considerably better still. It's difficult to fix that with anything short of OVAs made to fit between episodes, which aren't entirely unheard of but not particularly likely either for something where the audience is expected to just read the manga instead.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
This type of show is good for getting people into anime who aren't already fans, and it seems like a good fit for Toonami as well, so obviously a good dub is important.

That's kinda what bugs me about this sort of show, though. Does it even count as an anime? It's so saturated in American culture that, if you watched the dub, you'd probably never guess it was made in Japan. I mean, the biggest hint that it isn't American is that it has too much gleeful Americanosity in it. We're not quite that self-centered... usually.

I still like BBB, because there's more to it than just that, but it makes me sort of uncomfortable how excited we get when an anime regurgitates our own cultural sensibilities back at us. It's not as if Japanese culture is superior, but isn't it more interesting for foreign media to reflect its own culture, instead of the one you already live in?
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
It's not as if Japanese culture is superior, but isn't it more interesting for foreign media to reflect its own culture, instead of the one you already live in?

You act as though it's western style stuff that's more common and not the other way around. Stuff that represents the west is way less common than stuff that represents Japan, obviously, so isn't understandable when we get something that uses a different culture? Especially one that we're more familiar with, through the eyes of a person from another culture.

Last edited by Random 21 on Sat May 30, 2015 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
That's kinda what bugs me about this sort of show, though. Does it even count as an anime?

Made in japan, by japanese and released first for japanese audiences, yep, it fills the part.

Quote:
It's so saturated in American culture that, if you watched the dub, you'd probably never guess it was made in Japan. I mean, the biggest hint that it isn't American is that it has too much gleeful Americanosity in it. We're not quite that self-centered... usually.

You are like a fish that does not realize it is completely surrounded by water. I would realize in a jiffy BBB was not made in the USA because the level of animation is beyond anything done for the locals (even beyond Avatar or Korra).

Quote:
I still like BBB, because there's more to it than just that, but it makes me sort of uncomfortable how excited we get when an anime regurgitates our own cultural sensibilities back at us. It's not as if Japanese culture is superior, but [u]isn't it more interesting for foreign media to reflect its own culture, instead of the one you already live in?

Have you seen how abysmal were the numbers for the princess kaguya film by Studio Ghibli.It was beaten by Parasyte!
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Does it even count as an anime?

Technically yes, but I realize you don't mean it in that sense. I don't think it's a situation like Cowboy Bebop, because with that one, by the time it had drawn lots of people far enough into the fandom to browse DVDs or check out fansubs, anime was already starting to largely move away from anything remotely similar. People who come in by way of BBB and form their expectations from it would still be able to get into shows both relatively recent and still upcoming for at least the next few years, provided they're willing to sift through the more conventional late-night shows.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
I wish this show was as fun to me as it's made out to be here.
I don't dislike it, and I'm a few episodes behind but am still watching it.... but I still can't make up my mind if I actually like it or not. I'm actually finding it absurdly difficult to follow, and a lot of the time I have absolutely no clue what's happening. I don't know if that's just me.

Also, I couldn't find it anywhere in the article but where is that pic of Sonic from? Is it from the manga? If it's a fanart, it bothers me that it isn't credited - unless Hope drew it, anyway.
velimirius

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
anyone maybe knows that episode 4 song which goes at the end scenes before the ending song?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
velimirius wrote:
anyone maybe knows that episode 4 song which goes at the end scenes before the ending song?

This is according to anon, I haven't actually looked into it to confirm

Q: What's the name of the music that plays when ___________?
A: Nobody knows except Taisei Iwasaki. The tracklist isn't out yet.
A1. Unless you're asking about the classical songs, which are:
- ep 3 preview: Air on the G String/Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major (Bach)
- ep 3: Ode to Joy (Beethoven)
- ep 3 preview/ep 4/Despair-kun's favorite song: Overture from The Magic Flute (Mozart)
- ep 7 preview: Spring (Vivaldi)
A2. Two of the vocal songs have had their titles mentioned over Twitter. Both are by vocalist Ai Ninomiya.
- World Goes Round (end of episode 3)
- On My Own (episode 6; aka CRUUUUUISING)
velimirius

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
Ah i guess i should wait for the tracklist to get released eventually, because just last night i finished watching episode 4 and that song is tormenting me...

Tried both soundhound and shazam but it cant be identified probably because of the character talking which covers parts of the song, or maybe song isnt ever released yet who knows. But it has awesome guitar and vocal...

I wont have peace till i get it... Sad
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
it's alright.. not that great.

we got a bunch of people with powers but they didn't put it together well..

the series is only 12 episodes?

so just 3 more...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7