• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Posting security prompt

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that occasionally I'll get an error stating I can't post until I've completed a CAPTCHA, but when I do, it just gives me the error "No posting mode selected". I've tried going back afterwards and reposting it, but that just trips it again. I was hit by this earlier today after writing a post with three quote tags and ended up having to double post since even editing kept saying I was trying to post "DATA" and tripping the prompt.

It seems rather odd that a legitimate post could suddenly be flagged wrongly just because of a large number of quotations - is there anything that can be done to fix that?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I notice you post from a couple different IP addresses, and they appear to be completely different networks.

Is this happening on all of them, or only the one you posted this comment from?

I'll white-list the address in question.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I use a VPN, but it happened even after I turned it off, which is what prompted this thread.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Crap. I'm happy to white-list your IP address, but I don't like white-listing VPNs.

Can you show me a screenshot of the CAPTCHA (the full page). I want to confim that this is a Cloudflare CAPTCHA and not something else.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
This is what I've gotten:

Also, I did a larger number of quote tags earlier in the talkback forum without tripping it. Is the Community forum more strictly regulated? I don't really do that sort of thing anywhere else, so I wouldn't know which is the odd duck out.

EDIT: To clarify, I deliberately tripped this just before I posted it. If it matters at all, all the quotes in my talkback post came from the same user.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Okay, this is from Cloudflare, a 3rd party proxy-service we use to defend the site from attacks and also accelerate the site.

Cloudflare kept us online during the DDoS in December.

Unfortunately CF's heuristics are a bit of a black box to us. We don't know specifically what triggers the CAPTCHA, and we don't set rules for one part of the site versus another.

Obviously CF's heuristics are determining that your post is either spam, or an exploit attempt. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is in your quotes that is setting them off.

What I can do is White-List your home IP address. How static is it?

Last edited by Tempest on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Oh, also, if you can send me a copy of the post that is tripping the CAPTCHA, I'll submit it to Cloudflare so that maybe they can look into it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1