• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote

Season 1: Overlord (TV)
Season 2: Overlord II (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 3: Overlord III (TV) (discussion starts here)
Season 4: Overlord IV (TV) (discussion starts here)
Movie: Overlord [Paladin of the Holy Kingdom Arc] (movie)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 16 volumes, written by Kugane Maruyama, illustrated by so-bin)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Madhouse

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: anti-hero, aristocracy, conspiracy, dark fantasy, demi-humans, isekai, medieval, online gaming, politics, power struggle, sorcery, undead, virtual world

Plot Summary: The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day; however, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as "the most powerful wizard." The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) begining to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: July 7, 2015 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Season 2: January 9, 2018 (Tuesday)

Season 3: July 10, 2018 (Tuesday)

Season 4: July 5, 2022 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Movie: Pending

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 13 episodes
Season 02: 13 episodes
Season 03: 13 episodes
Season 04: 13 episodes
Movie: Pending

Total: 52 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to Tony K.s post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

(Note: The arc names are fan-made, but will hopefully help break the series down for easier time management or binge-watching)

-Season 01

(Undead King)
Episode 01:
Episode 02:
Episode 03:
Episode 04:

(Dark Warrior)
Episode 05:
Episode 06:
Episode 07:
Episode 08:
Episode 09:

(Bloody Valkyrie)
Episode 10:
Episode 11:
Episode 12:
Episode 13:

-Season 02

(Lizard Man Heroes)
Episode 14 (S02E01):
Episode 15 (S02E02):
Episode 16 (S02E03):
Episode 17 (S02E04):
Episode 18 (S02E05):

(Men in the Kingdom)
Episode 19 (S02E06):
Episode 20 (S02E07):
Episode 21 (S02E08):
Episode 22 (S02E09):

Episode 23 (S02E10):
Episode 24 (S02E11):
Episode 25 (S02E12):
Episode 26 (S02E13):

-Season 03

(Two Leaders)
Episode 27 (S03E01):
Episode 28 (S03E02):
Episode 29 (S03E03):
Episode 30 (S03E04):
Episode 31 (S03E05):

(Invaders of the Lost Tomb)
Episode 32 (S03E06):
Episode 33 (S03E07):
Episode 34 (S03E08):

(Magic Caster of Destruction)
Episode 35 (S03E09):
Episode 36 (S03E10):
Episode 37 (S03E11):
Episode 38 (S03E12):
Episode 39 (S03E13):

-Season 04

(Ruler of Conspiracy)
Episode 40 (S04E01):
Episode 41 (S04E02):
Episode 42 (S04E03):
Episode 43 (S04E04):

(Craftsman of Dwarf)
Episode 44 (S04E05):
Episode 45 (S04E06):
Episode 46 (S04E07):

(Witch of the Fallen Kingdom)
Episode 47 (S04E08):
Episode 48 (S04E09):
Episode 49 (S04E10):

Episode 50 (S04E11):
Episode 51 (S04E12):
Episode 52 (S04E13):

-(Movie) [Paladin of the Holy Kingdom]

Pending

Another MMORPG based series with fantasy themes. However, the MC is rather unusual. There's also a rather prominent cast of characters involved along with some other game themes.

I think there will be quite a bit of mystery involved too along with sci-fi elements. The PV looks alright imo and this is also adapted by Madhouse, one of my favorite studios.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TRNielson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'll give this one a shot. As much as I don't want to like MMORPG anime (thanks to SOA and its rise to popularity), I tend to enjoy them more often than not. So, we'll see how this one goes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
#1:

Sword Art Online is the best known of the light novels which highlight the virtual world and its inner workings, but the hook for this one is far removed from anything that the former had to offer.

Imagine hosting the biggest and longest Rave party in which you had the best of everything, only to find out that what should have been the end of the party see the doors locked shut and an unexpected after-party take place with the host having no idea it was even planned or any clue as to when the after-party would ever end.

The titular overlord finds himself in command of a significant power base and a world which has probably changed significantly since he was involved as a virtual player, questions remain as to why he's in the situation he's in, what happens next and whether or not this is all a big dream in which he probably can't wake up from.

Looking at the OP animation, it's a living breathing fantasy world where all the rules and algorithms are either held in place, deteriorating fast and obliterated altogether. For a science-fiction fantasy romp, this looks like it'll be an entertaining ride for as long as it lasts.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I think this has some creativity behind it. Out of all the fantasy theme series this Summer season, Over Lord displayed the most imo especially with the MMORPG world and its characters (in-game). I want to find out more about the real life style of that skeletal dude named Momonga though.

The character that serves him seems to be quite diverse as well. I hope we find more about them each individually.

Action is kinda meh so far although it's only the first episode. I expect more from the show as it has my attention so far. ED theme song is better than the OP theme imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Interesting..
Starts off kinda sad & then it gets intriguing.
Will be fun to see where this is heading..
So far, it's got me interested.
Will give it a try.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Interesting..
Starts off kinda sad & then it gets intriguing.
Will be fun to see where this is heading..
So far, it's got me interested.
Will give it a try.

agreed most definitely
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well I quite enjoyed that. Log Horizon has shown us the path of world building and game mechanics, so I'm ready and willing to accept if Overlord was to take it's time rather than SAO every episode.

I'll be honest and admit that I only watched it because it shared the name with the excellent Overlord game series. I enjoyed playing the good guy villain and I'm guessing the same will be said of Momonga and co.

Also, loving Albedo's Succubi-ish look... Just saying.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Although it is another "trapped in a game" type of story, I do like how Overlord has at least tried to mix it up. It's just one normal player character, not many people, and he's not a heroic warrior but a benevolent tyrant. The quality of the execution in this first episode wasn't all that high, but the show has potential and I'm curious to see where it goes with this premise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I like dark overlords and their people that have more to them, not really being the full evil as their appearance may appear, beyond being shallow evil. I have actually been writing an entire story based off the concept, so that alone has me interested me greatly. I do really think VRMMO stuck in the game really has become its own subgenre rather than saying that is owned by the predecessors and others are just copying. At the very least this setting seems different as we are following someone set up as an overlord.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good, but more importantly, this is the first "trap in mmo" anime where the character actually feel like player. He quickly tried to figure out how the game work now and what is power actually are. Also help that it's distinct since it's just one player.

I could have done without the fan service in the middle but aside from that I quite like, although I have no idea where this is going to go. If had to guess it's probably going to be a case where other player are trapped in the world but there just abusing there player power and the MC will try to go to the defense of the powerless NPC and yadyadyad. Will see.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
I usually don't like this kind of thing and sort of wrote it off as though it was probably going to be pure wish fulfillment, but something about the premise writeup drew me to it enough to make me want to give it a try. And I'm glad I did.

I've always wanted to see a story that's essentially about "You are suddenly and unexpectedly put into the position of a leader. What do you do? You have no way to get out of the situation and no real experience, but you feel it is your responsibility to try to be a positive influence on the society that you've found yourself in control of." I'm actually kind of surprised that there are so few examples of that (I can't think of any for that matter); I'd think it would be a standard general story type. I've seen several things that ended with 'I guess I could be king', but this is the first I've seen where it is the beginning.

I also liked the beginning, where Momonga reminisces about the good times he had in the old, mostly population-dead game that he loved, saying goodbye to the few online friends that came on to send the game off.

I also like how Momonga is not human looking and is this big skeleton man. It's cool to see a viewpoint character with an appearance that we would consider menacing.

Anyway, this is truning out to be a really promising season, especially for fantasy: (Rokka, Snow White, GATE, and Aquarion Logos depending on your definition of fantasy.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I was expecting the first half of premier episode to be so poignant. It's a pleasant surprise. I can't think of anything else I've watched to really nail the whole gaming experience so well. Everything else seems far more concerned in either providing or criticizing the fantasy fulfillment element of many games. Not that this entirely missing from Overlord, just that it never felt like it took center stage.

I'm really liking all of the guardians so far. It makes me curious about the two guardians which have yet to make an appearance. However, I'm far more curious about how much the MC's real life will be in play.

I nominate Albedo's waist-wings as the anime accessory of the season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I've always wanted to see a story that's essentially about "You are suddenly and unexpectedly put into the position of a leader. What do you do? You have no way to get out of the situation and no real experience, but you feel it is your responsibility to try to be a positive influence on the society that you've found yourself in control of." I'm actually kind of surprised that there are so few examples of that (I can't think of any for that matter);

I think Kyo Kara Maoh! fits that description, and in a lot of ways Arslan Senki as well.

But in Overlord, he was the leader all along, wasn't he? The only thing new is that it doesn't seem to be just a game anymore, and he no longer has his guild members to back him up.

I liked the wings too! Smile
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
For those interested in what to expect from this series, the animators have nine volumes of a fully developed novel series to use for their adaptation (based on a quick check at the local bookstore).

All of the volume covers are illustrated with the same art style found in the first episode, what is unusual about this series is all of the titles of the various novels given in English rather than something equivalent in Japanese.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. That part with Albedo though... Rolling Eyes

I laughed at some of Momoga's commentary, especially when he was going through Albedo's code.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22