• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
ShiroYo wrote:
we need to think more from a video-game perspective.

When I think of it that way I'd conclude that Shalltear should be the weakest since she guards the first few floors. Everyone knows the enemies are supposed to get stronger as you advance. Though I wouldn't put it past Ains and co to be the sort of dicks to have the final boss guard the entrance.

That's because as a game developer you want the player to progress through your game, so putting an enemy the player can't beat in the first room of the dungeon wouldn't make much sense. On the other hand, the guild objective is to defend from invaders so using your most powerfull NPC to eliminate the enemy before harm is done (or at least reduce its strengh so weaker members can finish it off) is the most effective choice.

Shalltear job is to reduce the enemy numbers so the 41 members wouldn't have to fight against an army in the case of a raid against the guild. And it also makes sense having Albedo, the best in defence, and Sebas, the second in power, on the 9th floor to fight alongside the members.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
#12:

This is the first episode in the entire season where Ainz is actually at a disadvantage in battle. However he's definitely got some crafty plan hidden up his sleeve with the various NPCs of the guild given their orders. Since next week is going to be a continuation of this week's fight, I'm hoping they reveal who or what was responsible for Shalltear's betrayal.

That's a ridiculous number of personal buffs Ainz used prior to the battle.

Unusually enough, even Ainz doesn't know the NPCs his fellow guild members created as well as he should. Probably got too overconfident in the previous virtual world to do a detailed check before the shift to the new.

SP 8:

This is probably the last of the short specials featuring super-deformed Ainz, Albedo and the Pleiades battle maids. I swear the joke item he pulled weeks ago must have been planned as a deliberate needle by one of the guild members; that last condition allowing the items to spontaneously activate could only have been done by someone who knew the NPCs well.

It's quite entertaining seeing the battle maids completely go out of character and do silly things.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Well it was a tense episode although I think it skipped some stuff again because of what Madhouse is doing. And anyways, we get Ainz vs Shaltear this episode.

I found Shaltear's battle armor to look gimmicky and imo, not that impressive looking. On the other hand, I did kinda like the facial expression of both Shaltear and Ainz. Not only that but the buildup in the first half had a bit of thrills to it. Not bad overall but not overly impressive either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I actually think her armor (and Momon's) are really cool.

Also, if the dub doesn't call that one spell "Sharknado" I'm gonna flip a table.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Unusually enough, even Ainz doesn't know the NPCs his fellow guild members created as well as he should. Probably got too overconfident in the previous virtual world to do a detailed check before the shift to the new.

Since he didn't know there was going to be a new world, would he have any reason to be up on all the details of the other players' NPCs? I suppose as they were falling away one by one, you might ask for a rundown before they left, but since the whole game was winding down by that point, it probably seemed like a waste of time.

Yep, I shouted out "Sharknado!" even before it materialized. Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, they'll love dubbing this one, won't they? Ains has no flaps to match!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
True! Smile

I thought it was interesting that at least half of his inner monologues were in his Overlord voice this time. Player voice is getting less head time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Back to what I said in the second episode, I like Shaltear, so I liked seeing her here. And we got to see Ains get serious.

Also, glasses guy who's eyes are always white is apparently not from lens flair but that his eyes are crystals. Appreciate the close up.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Since he didn't know there was going to be a new world, would he have any reason to be up on all the details of the other players' NPCs? I suppose as they were falling away one by one, you might ask for a rundown before they left, but since the whole game was winding down by that point, it probably seemed like a waste of time.

Probably took it for granted then, although he was spending an inordinate amount of time in the first episode being nostalgic with everything guild-related.
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
EP: 12

The lack of background info in some skills like "The Goal of All Life Is Death" bothered me a little since the anime fight end up as a open trade of spells while in the novel you could see the strategies of both sides developing as the fight goes on. And thanks to the extra explanations you could understand that every spell used had a strategic meaning.

But the fight wasn't bad by any means. For a long time I waited for a show based in a MMORPG with people fighting just like in a MMORPG and Overlord delivers that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 13/Finale:

Well, that was fairly predictable. We get a little speech about PVP coming from Ainz and then the battle ensures. The fight itself didn't last long and I think it was fairly obvious that Shaltear would lose.

Then again, there's a good amount of emphasis on her character and personality by now with her reactions so we see how the expectations are met.

The latter half of the episode bought the characters back to where it all started. So in essence, the final episode felt anti-climatic imo, or at least the fighting part. Also, no season 2 announcement from what I'm aware of...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
So Ainz's trump card was the equipment of all his guild members summoned at will; somewhat appropriate given his respect for the glory days and the legacy left behind by those who failed to join him.

Plenty of room for future adaptations then if this last episode is anything to go by. The good news is they'll have plenty to work with provided the sales are good.

An entertaining series, even if viewers base every MMORPG-based anime adaptation they have on Sword Art Online or hack/sign, there's plenty in this franchise to draw new and old viewers alike. No matter how overpowered Ainz and his subordinates are relative to the new world in terms of sheer battle prowess, Momonga's caution and attention to detail should stand him in good stead whilst he continues his quest to conquer the world.

If they do a new series or even an additional OVA, it's obvious who the next target is. Although they didn't explain exactly HOW Shalltear ended up being mind-controlled, at least everyone found out the identity of the faction behind the incident.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I found the show to be quite entertaining overall. I'm not one to immediately complain about over powered protagonists and always wait to see the execution. That was handled well, with Ains being very smart about how he goes about things. Sure he could just raise an army and steamroll everything, but doing that when he doesn't know fully how the world works would be stupid.

That said, I didn't really latch onto it on an emotional level. The characters were okay, but I didn't get attached to any particular one (though I guess I was hoping Shalltear wouldn't be perma dead and I like the werewolf girl in the specials) and oddly didn't find any of the women to be particularly attractive. It's rare that I have no desire to see any hentai of a show.

I'd come back for another season, but as for picking up the light novels, meh, I might do so if I run out of other stuff to read.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the whole series, even though a lot of the game mechanics were over my head. I really hope they can do another season.

And "Iron Fist of Schoolmarm" is best attack name ever. Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Goddamn wallet warrior, think there so good because they got a credit card Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 22