• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, while I like the lizards, Ainz hasn't impressed me this season, since I don't feel like we've yet been given a solid enough reason for him to be doing all this in the first place. I didn't mind last season's OP-ness, since all the ones he got to show off against were awful beings or at least behaving badly, and it was satisfying to watch someone who was actually able to back up his trash talk for once. Here he was the aggressor for no apparent reason, or at least not a "good" reason, i.e., one I'd hope he succeeds at.

It's an unusual feeling to have a series do such a 180 that I'm now cheering for Ainz's "enemies" to defeat him. I don't think I like it.

His aim has not changed since the start of season 1: Find a way to return to the world he came from.

To do that, he is looking for fellow players like him who made the jump to this new world. If he has comrades (as in fellow humans masquerading as something else) then he can think of a way to escape. But to do that, he needs to draw attention to his old guild through the only way he knows how: conquering enough of his neighbours and spreading the name of his player guild throughout the world in the hopes it rings a bell to other players not of his guild and who are stuck on the same world he is in now.

Conquering the Lizardmen is more or less his first step on the route to conquest and spreading his name. All talk about improved undead etc. is more or less a sideshow, the crucial part is changing his public image from complete unknown to terrifying big-shot. All that hero work he does on the sideline is done to gather information and to make a name for himself in a different way (the flash gear he uses would ring a few bells to ex-players of Yggdrassil by his reckoning).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin: your explanation is logical and I have no doubt that is what the show is conveying, but emotionally I still agree with Gina Szanboti. In the first season he was primarily acting against bad guys so I was in his court. This season is a different ball of wax. Even if his aims remain the same, emotionally it feels different and like Gina I don't care for it.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
We also spend almost no time with Ainz and his motivations, so while those might be his motivations, they aren't developed or explored at all, which makes it hard to care.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
We also spend almost no time with Ainz and his motivations, so while those might be his motivations, they aren't developed or explored at all, which makes it hard to care.

First two or three episodes of the first season more or less elucidated all of Momonga's motivations. Everything else from there simply showed what actions he takes to achieve his goals.

It's difficult playing the hero when you're a high-level archlich from a guild famous for being the raid target of rival adventurer guilds run by players with less dubious moral compasses.

It's easier rooting for him in the conventional sense when he's playing the disguised hero, and it looks like part of this adaptation will focus on that if the OP movie is any indication.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought that one of Momonga's objectives was to try to flush out whoever caused Shalltear to betray him. Now he seems to intend to use the lizardmen as a buffer to those who might try again in the future. I suspect he'll tie them to the fake Temple that he's having built in order to improve it's deceptiveness.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I thought that one of Momonga's objectives was to try to flush out whoever caused Shalltear to betray him. Now he seems to intend to use the lizardmen as a buffer to those who might try again in the future. I suspect he'll tie them to the fake Temple that he's having built in order to improve it's deceptiveness.

If the owner of the world item is an ex-player then things get more complicated. Ainz wants revenge but information too from a fellow ex-player. If it's a hostile faction of the current world then using the lizardfolk as a buffer centred around the fake temple is strategically sound.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote

New story arc, so the first episode is more or less obligatory for setting the scene and everything which goes with it.

Sebastian's creator Tachimi was the same player who saved a low-level Momonga all those years ago and he implanted his desire not to discard anyone who required help into his creation. Sebastian like Solution has no love for humans, but he cannot override the will of his creator (to Solution and his own chagrin). This random act of chivalry has given him information into the criminal organisation called the "Eight Fingers" though.

It looks like all of the characters seen in the OP movie but yet to make their appearance to date have finally shown up (with the exception of the super-strong fighter in league with the Paladin kingdom and the dragon and old woman pair). If the animation is any clue, the matchups hinted at should come to pass.

For the Pleiades skit, having the par of dark elves converted into HR managers is a fairly twisted move. I'm not sure any candidate would qualify for the high standards they set...
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Solution, being a monster who seems to consider humans as beneath her, lacks certain perspective on this situation with Sebas and Tuare. So Solution coming to the conclusion that Sebas has betrayed Ains kinda makes sense. It's certainly an interesting turn of events and I wonder what'll come out of it.

Also I'm interested in this Princess Renner. The ending (closer) suggests that she has a darker side. That one noble dude, who seems to be her brother, called her a monster. I'm interested in seeing that part of her.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote

No action since events are still moving along at a fairly glacial pace. Climb is a stereotypical orphan picked up from the streets by the royal princess who has made the bodyguard position his own through sheer determination. Gazev's assessment on his talent is probably spot on, but he's also clear that there is no limit on combat experience and what it can do to help those without talent go further.

Any princess who can read a coded message from a criminal hideout at random and solve it within minutes is both a genius and a monster, the latter coming from how much potential that brainpower has and to what end it is used for. I don't know if she's meant to have any fighting ability of her own, but her efforts have already struck at the heart of the Eight Fingers' operations despite having no political or factional backing in the royal court.

Ainz did ask his former NPC creations to think for themselves, so I'm not surprised scenes like the final one with Solution are going to happen on a more regular basis. If Ainz was supervising Sebas and Solution personally he would have thought nothing of it, so now it's a test of Momonga's ability as a leader to trust his associates after giving them the largesse and freedom to conduct their operations as they see fit. I have no idea how this leads to THAT battle scene hinted in the OP, but this arc is less about Ainz the Overlord and more about Momonga the mysterious adventurer and the machinations he has to deal with in the world of humans.

The short skirts seem to mirror what has been aired to date this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Demiurgos is really doing something behind his master's back with full confidence he has complete backing when in reality Ainz doesn't have a clue what he's up to.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Somewhat annoying, but viewers will need to wait to see what Ainz is going to say when he finds out what Sebas is about to accomplish a few episodes from now. I wonder what he'll think when Sebas takes out (effectively single-handedly) the final brothel belonging to the Eight Fingers.

Momo and Narbel are finally making their reputations travel far. Even the other Adamantite teams are hearing rumours of their exploits. The difference in strength is also apparent, the basilisk which Momo took out with a single strike would have been a life-or-death duel with the Blue Roses' musclehead. They're still not famous enough to attract worldwide attention (which would also get the ear of other ex-players who travelled to this world).

Sebas must really curse his creator's motivations at times. Because of his character setting, there is nothing he can do when situations he encounters trigger the reaction he delivers like the one in this episode. Whether or not Ainz realises that's the case depends on whether or not he's willing to give Sebas a fair hearing into his actions up to next week or the week after.

What happens when you convert the weakest floor guardian into a corporate worker? You get the world's most efficient call centre operative! Considering the only help he (it?) gets is the multi-armed emotionless Pleiades, it's amazing the corporate Nazarick hasn't gone under from customer dissatisfaction.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Booooring. So boring. I thought this arc was supposed to be better than the lizard men arc, but it's so incredibly boring. Nothing is happening. Some guy named Climb and some other guy named Brain want to be better, but they're not, and it doesn't matter, because Sebas is infinitely strong. None of these characters are interesting at all. At least the lizard folks had some romance. What could they possibly be building up to to justify this level of tedium? We already know that any development these characters go through is going to be totally irrelevant once any Nazerick folks get involved, but couldn't they at least be more interesting than "guy who wants to get stronger" to make the journey there a tiny bit fun?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realise this series was a monster of the week action series, nor did I realise viewers had to believe the hype from the readers of the English translation to enjoy the show as it's presented.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
The series has kind of been like this from the beginning. It started with characters being infinitely strong, that there really is nowhere for them to progress physically, their motivations are so unclear that it can be hard to pick where they might morally progress, and does not really seem to know what to do with them otherwise. Like, it throws us into different stories of characters setting out to achieve things, but it is no challenge for the characters we might care about, and the ones that may have a challenge are just not interesting.

Maybe not a perfect example to contrast with, but I will point to Spice and Wolf, which does the fantasy/medieval setting, the battlefield rather than being an actual one instead is merchant work, economics, and politics to some extent. But audiences actually care about it because character interaction is good, the characters are strong but not to a point they would be boring, and I would say there are stakes we can actually care about, despite it not being warriors. Overlord is trying to play the getting into other types of battlefields, but not really the effort to get us to care about characters we should. The anime does not give us a good insight most of the time what the strong people are actually up to, and we are not given enough pieces to really get behind them. The lizard guy was possibly the closest, but the most we got that he apparently left his people to learn elsewhere, and we were not really shown what his time elsewhere was even like.

It is not about saying there should be the format of monster of the week formulae or something, but there be an effort to feel like we are watching something worth watching. I don't think I really knew before that Sebas was apparently a monk (class), but seeing him action was kind of cool and got me interested. We skipped over him interrogating the assassins, which I think maybe could have added something at showing us more about this character we get told is awesome, but instead talks in the episode wanting to be strong from a character, which does not mean anything in the level of the series. About the most interesting was chuunibyou sword princess, which feels like the stuff we need to actually like the characters, but the princess was not even in the rest of the episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Still won't get to see Sebas being confronted about his "betrayal", but that's fine because I've enjoyed both of these last 2 episodes. It's kinda amazing how well this show works even without Ains.

The way that last scene transitioned from revealing Renner's dark intentions to that specific part of the ending that shows a glimpse of Renner's dark side was really cool.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
If this series is a homage to tabletop games and the Dungeons and Dragons franchise, then I think the talentless Climb probably has some kind of innate ability like "berserk at 1HP" which bought him enough time for Brain to show up and save the day. His sensory boost ability probably came from someone who taught him how to do it since he will grab at anything he finds useful as a bodyguard.

Succulent is some kind of spellsword focusing on illusions. Too bad he took on the worst opponent he could face in Brain Unglaus. His defeat means his boss is now bringing the full might of his mercenary guild against Sebas though.

I wonder what Ains is going to say next week, but the fact he didn't immediately restrain Sebas after hearing the report shows he's willing to give the butler a fair hearing. With his testimony, I think I'm beginning to see the reason why the Adamantite hero pairing goes to the capital.

As for the very pointed ED animation, I have a different opinion on Renner. Not a "dark side" so much as the princess isn't who she says she is. Going back to the fantasy archetypes, she's either a doppelganger or some kind of shapeshifting entity who has assumed the entity of the princess for some time and worked her way up to where she is now. Fortunately for Climb, he's now the apple of her eye and he won't have to face her in battle unless something drastic happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 22