• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking that Renner is simply a yandere. The "dark side" is her true self, but she hides it so that Climb wouldn't dislike her.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I'm thinking that Renner is simply a yandere. The "dark side" is her true self, but she hides it so that Climb wouldn't dislike her.

No person needs to practise their smile in the mirror before facing specific individuals since that's supposed to come naturally. Why does Renner need to do so and refer to herself in the third person?

Last edited by Harleyquin on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Renner is some sort of shapeshifter, she has simply always been the monster that we have seen people talk about her. She is a psychopath. But her role as a princess has had her always put on the face of being a cute princess, but it is not something without she actually has to practice rather than something natural. I suspect her current goals of her own crusade, are something she has done to let her true psychopath fly, but that she has become enamoured by Climb's innocent/naïve/chivalrous character, and it is now part of her motivation of at least looking like a super good person.

She probably has quite something in common with Clementine, in nature, only so far she is doing things that would be good. Does not really mean she is a good person, but acts as an interesting contrast.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
If that weapon in the ED is anything to go by, it might not be as simple as multiple personality disorders. Still early days though.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote

The conversation between the noble and the older prince confirms one thing about Renner: she isn't a doppelganger and has been putting on an act for years according to the noble who's known her since childhood. It is clear that she's very fond of Climb, just not in the manner one would expect. The smile in Climb's flashback when she first met him was matched in an identical fashion in this week's episode.

Demiurgos and his propensity to cover for all eventualities gets Sebas into a spot of bother, but Ainz still trusts his NPCs unquestionably so the danger is passed. It's ironic that the alchemist who was tortured to death in season 1 had Tuare as the older sister, which probably swayed his decision to indulge Sebas on his whim. The personality of Sebas's and Demiurgos's creators are well reflected in their legacies, which to Ainz is more precious than anything.

Of all the NPCs who are likely to betray the cause, one wouldn't suspect Albedo of being the prime suspect. Perhaps Ainz's manipulation of the NPC setting prior to shifting over is coming back to bite him in the future, or it could be Albedo being happy to wait on Ainz (Momonga) hand and foot with the goal of spreading the guild name being a pointless venture which doesn't help her get more 1-to-1 time with Momonga.

I'm starting to see why Demiurgos is wearing a mask and fighting Momon as depicted in the OP. It will be interesting to see if the battle they're supposed to have is an act or something which they are forced into doing because of circumstances.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote

Events certainly escalated quickly this episode. All of the OP duels bar two have now been featured and the context explained.

I think this is the first time I've seen one of the Nazarick denizens actually lose a duel to someone in this new world. Entoma would have eaten the pair of them had the ice mage not intervened. The burning smoke she uses is essentially fumigation against insect swarms.

Appearances are deceiving when it comes to the dark elf siblings. Mare is capable of delivering a compound fracture with one blow of her staff...

Sebas said he needed 10 seconds to take on four of the six arms at once, I think he took less than that. At least I know what Climb would have looked like had the punch from a few weeks ago actually connected.

In his adventurer guise Ainz can't use magic and is more or less dependent on his item-using skills to get by. I don't think he's told anyone other than Narbe what he does as an adventurer, but surely he recognises Demiurgos behind the mask?! It looks like they're going to duel but I can't fathom how Ainz is going to dig himself out of the hole he's dug for himself. Regardless, I'm looking forward to see what Demiurgos is capable of in a combat setting.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

This is interesting. "Good guys" fighting against each other seem to be the theme of this 2nd season and I honestly love it. It somehow gets me really emotionally invested when I'm kinda rooting for both parties, hoping neither of them gets hurt. I'm guessing that fighting Demiurge is part of Ains' plan somehow? Demiurge said that they're dead, but hopefully that bulky woman and the ninja girl aren't gone for good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:50 am Reply with quote
That guy calling himself "the undead king" was one of the worst insults, that I think had Sebas act quicker than even he expected. Insulting Entoma's part as a maid was also a huge insult to her, but at least we got to see what she is like under the disguise.

That one girl, Evileye, was strong enough to push Entoma back, and instantly recognised the danger of Demiurge. One would wonder if she could be exactly what Ainz has been looking for, like perhaps someone that came along with him, Or at least a likely suspect of the group that effected Shaltear. Ainz putting on a show to get her trust, may be a perfect plan to suss out his goals.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad they made a second season of this. But unfortunately it's about to end and clearly it won't get much further than the first season did. What a shame.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

The contrast of the mysterious badass mage Evileye turning into an innocent maiden in love was quite funny. Ains being so confident in his ability to (mistakenly) read Evileye was also hilarious. A shame that the next episode will be the last.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I honestly have no idea what Demiurgos's plan is really about. He's fought a mock(?) battle with Momon and then retreated to another part of the capital using the flames of Gehenna to mark himself out as an obvious target. The original aim of smashing the Six Arms was more or less accomplished by Sebas on his own (again the difference in power between the floor guardians and the rest of the world means normal service after last week's unusual loss has now resumed) so there shouldn't be any need for Demiurgos to hang around since the "item" he speaks of isn't supposed to exist (or does it?!)

The ED shows Evileye's face behind the mask, but I wonder if viewers get to see it in an episode proper. It's absolutely hilarious seeing her reactions after she's fallen head over heels for Momon (which Narbel has already picked up on).

The mysterious ring which the old retired adventurer talked about is making its debut proper in this series. If a dragon passed it on from his collection, then Climb isn't going to fall over and die just as the Golden Princess plans. Speaking of which, did her eyes change colour in that final scene?

For the comedy skit, events in this episode are now mirrored in the corporation. As always, Ainz has no clue what's going on and he's going to have to wing it (again!) next week if he doesn't like the outcome Demiurgos' had already originally planned for.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
Especially funny since Nabe clearly figured out what the deal was, and still his cluelessness somehow made her praise his insight. Evileye's internal monolog, also made it sound like she too is some sort of undead. Also odd that Ainz actually had no clue what was happening, entered by pure chance, and Demiurge managed to play the situation without raising suspicion.

Interesting point. I don't know how strictly this show has kept to any real RPG's rules, but Raise Dead is in fact a 5th level spell in 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Especially funny since Nabe clearly figured out what the deal was, and still his cluelessness somehow made her praise his insight.

"Master, you're making it so difficult to stay blindly devoted to you." ;D
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

I'm not sure why the person who was supposedly Shalltear didn't chase after Brain. She noticed Climb and then chose not to pursue any further. No idea what that's supposed to mean.

I enjoyed this 2nd season. There was a lot of focus on side characters but I was never bothered by that and I enjoyed every episode. I'm looking forward to the 3rd season.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Brain's trauma goes further than I thought. He improved his skill enough to break the fingernail, but it's still just a fingernail. It hasn't really changed the fact she wasn't even taking him on at half strength. As for Shalltear's reaction, I think she was under orders or recognised something in Climb that allowed the trio to pass through unscathed.

The Blue Rose leader looked VERY surprised when she saw her recently raised companions join the fray. If the lizardman's experience was any indication, they should still have been out of action at this point. I'm not sure if Momon had anything to do with their faster than expected recovery.

The climatic battle was always meant to be an act, but Demiurgos certainly accomplished the objective of raising Momon's profile and getting rich while doing so.Surprisingly the new world they're in has magic items of the same power equivalence as a "failed product" of one of the Nazarick guild members, but there were always surprises like this which Ainz has been planning against since the very start of the series and it looks like his caution is paying dividends.

Viewers now see what's behind the mask, and it looks like Shalltear has competition from one of her lesser brethren for a certain someone's affections.

The series takes a break for one quarter before resuming in July, which is probably just as well since the animators deserve a break and this season is far too crowded as it is. The new arc has already been teased and it looks like the unaired figures in episode 1 might finally make an appearance before the entire adaptation completes its airing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 22