• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Anime Colony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that K and Zac didn't get along since it sounded like K wanted puff pieces and general positivity in order to get advertising, rather than actual reviewer opinions.

A lot of what K considered criticisms didn't make much sense, either. I would expect that an editor would actually think from the writer's point of view. That seems like something that makes one a better editor.

I can't really blame Justin for just walking away. It seems pretty obvious that the ship was sinking and that the captain was the only one who didn't notice his feet were getting wet. But, I can also sympathize a bit with K. Obviously, he wanted to make that site work, and denial becomes very powerful when somebody is personally invested in a project.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I visited Anipike religiously when I was 10 - 12, and I always saw the "Anime Colony" site links show up, but never really visited them unless I found out about some new anime beyond what was on TV, then one day the links just...stopped working completely and I always wondered what had happened to it.

Guess I know now!

I hope K and everyone else at SyCoNet has learned better business practices at least. wherever they are.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
So, just to let everyone know what the plan is for this column...

Tales Of The Industry was designed from the start to be a mix of my own stories and stories from others in the business. I like to think of it like Stand Alone Complex. I've been trying to maintain a 50/50 balance between my own stories and stories from others.

This is for two reasons. The first being that having a serialized story to follow along with hopefully makes for better storytelling, and because I can go a lot deeper into what it's like to actually work in the business. The second is because getting stories from others takes a lot longer. They don't write the stories for me, I interview them, interpret them into a more fleshed out narrative (and alter whatever needs to be altered), and then get their notes. That takes quite a bit of time, and with my work schedule being unpredictable, it's not always possible.

That said, I did go two in a row from me this time, because the last column had a "to be continued" lead-in and I didn't want to wait another two weeks to continue the story.

Next time we'll go back to a contributed story, and I'll probably do two in a row of those to compensate.

For the record, sourcing these stories has not really been a problem. Most are ancient history, anyway.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
PmChivas wrote:
release_tha_kraken wrote:
This column is hilarious.

Justin can't get anybody that's *actually* in the industry to send him stories because he shits on them in his columns every day.

Now all we get are these pathetic weekly reveries. Just give it up already.

K?? Is that you??!! Laughing

LMAO That's exactly what I thought! *brofist*

Justin, this is my new favorite column from ANN, and that's saying something. I love the work you guys do every day for this site. It is incredible to me.

I look forward to these tales for their honesty. But this one showed me you need to fight for yourself, especially when you're young. As someone who's struggled with issues of self-worth for most of my life, that really meant a lot to read how brave you--and Zac--were when in such an awful job and situation.
release_tha_kraken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
So, just to let everyone know what the plan is for this column...

Tales Of The Industry was designed from the start to be a mix of my own stories and stories from others in the business. I like to think of it like Stand Alone Complex. I've been trying to maintain a 50/50 balance between my own stories and stories from others.

This is for two reasons. The first being that having a serialized story to follow along with hopefully makes for better storytelling, and because I can go a lot deeper into what it's like to actually work in the business. The second is because getting stories from others takes a lot longer. They don't write the stories for me, I interview them, interpret them into a more fleshed out narrative (and alter whatever needs to be altered), and then get their notes. That takes quite a bit of time, and with my work schedule being unpredictable, it's not always possible.

That said, I did go two in a row from me this time, because the last column had a "to be continued" lead-in and I didn't want to wait another two weeks to continue the story.

Next time we'll go back to a contributed story, and I'll probably do two in a row of those to compensate.

For the record, sourcing these stories has not really been a problem. Most are ancient history, anyway.

The man himself showed up to justify his existence!

"...trying to keep busy and stay prominent in the anime world."

As true then as it is now. Keep doing you bro.
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Maxed_out_max wrote:
If you want to hear this story from Zac and Justin's perspective, check out this ANNCast episode
animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-22

It's right at the start of the podcast ~5 minutes in.
Not sure if I'm allowed to even post this because K was named I think.

Justin: "But there was this one guy there, who shall remain nameless because I hate him and want him to die..."
Zac: "His name is **** ****"
Justin: "Yeah...Yeah that's him. Damn it Zac you ruin everything!"
Zac: "I don't even know where that guy is now, who cares?"

Yeah it's not like we're going to write a potentially slanderous column piece about him 6 years from now! Like that would ever happen! *laughs*
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
KamikazeJawa wrote:

Yeah it's not like we're going to write a potentially slanderous column piece about him 6 years from now! Like that would ever happen! *laughs*

"Slanderous" is not "anything anyone says that isn't favorable".

Slander: "the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation."

Everything in the column is firsthand experience with personal testimony about directly witnessed actions.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
release_tha_kraken wrote:
Justin can't get anybody that's *actually* in the industry to send him stories because he shits on them in his columns every day.

You should share some stories Wink
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I imagined K screaming at Justin as if it were a scene out of Seinfeld or something.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There was also this one guy, who I got along with, but really got under K's skin. This guy was named Zac Bertschy.

Now I would just love to hear about Zac's work history from during college to the present day! A man can dream, can't he? Laughing
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
KamikazeJawa wrote:

"Slanderous" is not "anything anyone says that isn't favorable".

Slander: "the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation."

Everything in the column is firsthand experience with personal testimony about directly witnessed actions.

Even if the met the criteria of being false (which it doesn't), it wouldn't be slander, it'd be libel.

/end Journalism pet peeve
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Great story, Justin. For those saying that Justin was lucky to escape the sinking ship that was Anime Colony, I would argue that it never truly left the harbor... Or at least the rope tying it to the pier was really, really, really long.

On the one hand, I can understand K's "complaint" about there being too many negative reviews & not enough news, but at the same time the fault is going to come down to him in the end, regardless. Of course, there's also the fact that not everything is going to be great, so complaining about low review ratings is pretty damn silly.

As for the whole "break-up" moment, I want to now see that scene be given a recreation, complete with hammy actors & lots of uncomfortable pauses; it would probably be as accurate to the real deal as possible.

octopodpie wrote:
Even if the met the criteria of being false (which it doesn't), it wouldn't be slander, it'd be libel.

/end Journalism pet peeve

Damn it, and I was going to make the J.J. Jameson joke from Spider-Man 2! Screw it, I'll do it anyway:

"That's slander!"
"It is not, I resent that! Slander is spoken; in print it's libel."
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Well that's how most jobs are. At first it's promising and sounds amazing, but then most often it goes down hill. You know what? Thumbs up Justin just for those quitting lines. Those burns! Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I get the impression that K was a man who became frustrated that his pet project didn't turn out the way he had planned. That he kept getting people who flaked out on him or repeatedly failed to meet deadlines was probably the biggest source of his frustration. It certainly would turn me into a grouchy mess.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, but if the said writers are not being paid, then what can you expect?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5