• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Anime Colony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unready

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
unready wrote:
No, it's a problem with the management, which would be K. If you've ever been involved with the financial side of a business, you get to see some weird stuff, even in well-run companies.

This guy was obviously trying to lower his cost of capital by delaying his payables because he had no receivables. If he had paid the writers, his corporate oversight would have shut him down faster, and he knew that.

So...is it K's fault, or is it K's superiors' fault? Now I'm confused.

I thought that it was because his sponsor hadn't been paying him and thus he was stuck in a bad situation, having no money to give to his team.

He has money, because he has credit. As a business unit of SciFi, SciFi would probably cover his operating expenses, and he'd pay SciFi for covering them, etc. (At least I assume Justin and K were SciFi employees getting SciFi paychecks and not Anime Colony paychecks.)

But he eventually needs to show profit margin. If his superiors see outlay after outlay with no income, they'd know he was failing and pull the plug. By not paying the bills he had the discretion to postpone, his financials didn't look as bad to the people who reviewed them. He was waiting for some income, so he could post the expenses with the income in the same period and not look like an idiot.

It's a game some managers play with their financials, but the ones who play it lose eventually. Plus most bosses don't like it when their employees lie to them, so they lose twice.

From a cost of capital perspective, not paying his bills is like getting an interest-free loan. Most businesses would charge late fees, but the writers (probably on contract, so they weren't genuine SciFi employees) didn't charge (or get to collect) late fees.

Last edited by unready on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
I approached this story with some trepidation, as I was one of the writers Justin managed.

OMG! I remember you! Hope you're doing well. Nice to see you're still active in the scene.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
He has money, because he has credit. As a business unit of SciFi, SciFi would probably cover his operating expenses, and he'd pay SciFi for covering them, etc. (At least I assume Justin and K were SciFi employees getting SciFi paychecks and not Anime Colony paychecks.)

But he eventually needs to show profit margin. If his superiors see outlay after outlay with no income, they'd know he was failing and pull the plug. By not paying the bills he had the discretion to postpone, his financials didn't look as bad to the people who reviewed them. He was waiting for some income, so he could post the expenses with the income in the same period and not look like an idiot.

It's a game some managers play with their financials, but the ones who play it lose eventually. Plus most bosses don't like it when their employees lie to them, so they lose twice.

From a cost of capital perspective, not paying his bills is like getting an interest-free loan. Most businesses would charge late fees, but the writers (probably on contract, so they weren't genuine SciFi employees) didn't charge (or get to collect) late fees.

All right. I want to make sure I'm getting this right: So even if SyCoNet promised to sponsor them and never paid them a cent, the Sci Fi Channel would still cover for K as long as K paid it back and could prove that money was coming in to Anime Colony? And that he's not actually a "boss," but just a "manager"?

I want to get this straight, because I watch a lot of failing-business-type TV shows like Kitchen Nightmares, and one thing I see repeatedly in those shows is that the business owners, because money is not coming in, does not pay any of their employees. Invariably, a number of employees quit, and the owner gets increasingly frustrated and takes it out on their reamining employees (or sometimes the TV show's own people). I thought that K's case could have been something like this: That he's not a scumbag, just a bit eccentric at first, but found himself biting way more than he could chew.

He still had no excuse for blaming everyone else for their shortcomings without admitting any fault of his own though. And as mentioned prior, he wanted the website to be his own vanity project rather than what visitors wanted to see.
unready

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
unready wrote:

All right. I want to make sure I'm getting this right: So even if SyCoNet promised to sponsor them and never paid them a cent, the Sci Fi Channel would still cover for K as long as K paid it back and could prove that money was coming in to Anime Colony? And that he's not actually a "boss," but just a "manager"?

I want to get this straight, because I watch a lot of failing-business-type TV shows like Kitchen Nightmares, and one thing I see repeatedly in those shows is that the business owners, because money is not coming in, does not pay any of their employees....

Since Anime Colony was a unit of SciFi, but not a subsidiary, the usual arrangement (and I'm going to assume a usual dot-com boom arrangement, since I have no actual details in my possession) is that Anime Colony is set up as quasi-independent, but instead of having to get credit from a bank, it gets credit from SciFi. SciFi would cover Anime Colony expenses and expect to see a return. Until SyCoNet pays anything (which it never did), SyCoNet is actually irrelevant. SciFi would be doing Anime Colony's books, handling Anime Colony's HR, doing Anime Colony's advertising, etc. For all of which, they would also charge Anime Colony a fee, which SciFi would add to the cost of capital for the credit SciFi extends to Anime Colony.

Kitchen Nightmares (which I have never seen, but I believe I understand the concept) is about small business who have to get their credit from a bank. They can't afford to have paychecks (or any other checks) bounce, because the bank won't let the account on which they're drawn go negative. If the businesses can't get enough credit to keep operating, they shut down. To avoid having checks bounce, they avoid writing checks. Eventually suppliers stop supplying for free, and they shut down, anyway.

Anime Colony, on the other hand, essentially would have a line of credit with the "bank of SciFi," which would be practically infinite by comparison. SciFi would give Anime Colony as much credit as it needed, but someone would be watching to make sure it didn't get insane. SciFi would expect to be paid back eventually. Plus it would expect that periodically Anime Colony would generate a positive "balance" (i.e., profit), of which SciFi would then take a cut. By not paying writers, Anime Colony got essentially an interest-free loan from the writers to make its "balance" in its "account" at the "bank of SciFi" look better (i.e., not as big of a loss, which would have corresponding lower finance charges).

This kind of stuff is practically Enron compared to the small businesses on "reality" TV shows.

My suspicion is that the writers finally got paid when Anime Colony was being closed down. Someone would have asked if Anime Colony had any unpaid bills that hadn't yet been forwarded to accounting. Z (or perhaps his replacement by then) would have shown them the stack of invoices from the writers. And then SciFi would write it all off as a loss they hope never to repeat. At least they took a chance with AniMonday later.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person delighted to hear that Zac has always been a hard-ass on reviews? For some reason I always assumed that he was just burnt out after so many years of reviewing bad fanservice and loli shows. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it needs to be spelled out by either Zac or Justin. I thought from the article that the funding for Anime Colony and its employees, was supposed to come from SyCoNet, and not the Sci-Fi channel.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps it needs to be spelled out by either Zac or Justin. I thought from the article that the funding for Anime Colony and its employees, was supposed to come from SyCoNet, and not the Sci-Fi channel.

It was perfectly clear that Sci-Fi wanted to profit off it's web-domain. So what happened was Sci invested the start up capital to build the website and that cost was going to be made back later via ad space.

The plan sounds like was the website was going to cover it's own operating costs via web ads placed by anime companies. Sadly the crazy guy from SyCoNet tricked them into getting all the adspace for large sum of money he never ended up paying them.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Reading this story reminds me of how little I've done with my life up to this point. I'm already 20 years old and in college and I've never had a paid job before. I'd like to get a job in video games or game localization, but I haven't done much on that front yet. I guess I don't have as much passion as some other people.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Reading this story reminds me of how little I've done with my life up to this point. I'm already 20 years old and in college and I've never had a paid job before. I'd like to get a job in video games or game localization, but I haven't done much on that front yet. I guess I don't have as much passion as some other people.

Speaking from personal experience, it's best to start getting job experience while you're young. The longer you wait until you actually need to get a job, the harder it will be.

As for K, while I agree he acted like a total @ss, I did kinda feel bad for him. Here's hoping he finally got his act together and grew up. And also, came out of the closet. Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
More advice: don't worry about starting in your field. The most important thing a first job gets you is an entry on your resume and a good reference(if you develop a good work ethic and prove a good employee). Working life is also very different from school life, so the sooner you get into that mindset, the better.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Reading this story reminds me of how little I've done with my life up to this point. I'm already 20 years old and in college and I've never had a paid job before...I guess I don't have as much passion as some other people.

Also advice: You are too young to determine your ultimate fate. You may end up working several different jobs, but each one is going to teach you different things about people that you won't learn in a classroom. People, their motivations, and degree of sucess may not always match up with their actions, but don't let that get you down or diminish your own passion.

And sometimes things may not work out as planned, but if you can't make a living on your dreams, at least find a way to fund them in your spare time. You have to take that first step no matter what. Find your motivation and sink your teeth in. Make sure the deadlines you set for yourself and your goals are realistic, but no less achievable. Wink
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
4 Pages and not one person made a joke about Colony Drops I'm shocked and chagrinned. But seriously that was a somewhat depressing story.

unready wrote:

Kitchen Nightmares (which I have never seen, but I believe I understand the concept) is about small business who have to get their credit from a bank. They can't afford to have paychecks (or any other checks) bounce, because the bank won't let the account on which they're drawn go negative. If the businesses can't get enough credit to keep operating, they shut down. To avoid having checks bounce, they avoid writing checks. Eventually suppliers stop supplying for free, and they shut down, anyway.

I think should watch Kitchen Nightmares since none of that generally is the reason the restaurants on the show go into decline or out of business (if they're really unlucky) They generally wind up like that because of things like poor management in every category from finances, food, inventory, pricing, etc.
Beefy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
anime.scifi.com. That takes me back.
At the time I found that site I wondered why Sci-Fi had an anime website, but was not airing any anime on their TV channel.

Quote:
K managed to get ADV Films to let us use any and all artwork from their shows on the site (so long as we remembered to include the copyright line).

I remember buying a t-shirt from the site with Rei and Asuka from Evangelion in that Sci-Fi channel planet logo. Where did the money from the merch sales go? To ADV? or to Sci-Fi?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Speaking from personal experience, it's best to start getting job experience while you're young. The longer you wait until you actually need to get a job, the harder it will be.

See, I wish someone I could count on had told me that when I was younger. My high school counselor, my parents, and my college counselor all told me to study hard in class, get a high GPA in college, and earn that degree, and I would be granted a satisfying job. Then, they'd teach me everything else I would need to know because I'd be that smart person with the degree. So I graduated with zero work experience whatsoever, then started applying for the entertainment sector and found out that they're all looking for experience, internships had to begin in college, and getting a degree in Film & Digital Media does not count as experience.

I remember the exact words of my high school counselor when she spoke in front of a large number of us in the auditorium, her idea of a typical hiring process: "This one's no good. This one's no good. Oh look, this one has a degree! I will hire them!" Indeed, when she stepped down midway through my years there, she hired her successor solely through level of degree, followed by the university's rank, followed by GPA. Everything else was irrelevant.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
I think should watch Kitchen Nightmares since none of that generally is the reason the restaurants on the show go into decline or out of business (if they're really unlucky) They generally wind up like that because of things like poor management in every category from finances, food, inventory, pricing, etc.

Yeah, I should point out that not paying the employees because they've run low on money is a symptom, not a disease. In nearly all cases (as with Restaurant Impossible and Restaurant Stakeout), something else has caused the eatery to lose money and the banks to mistrust the owner. After months or years of losses, the bank cuts the backing from them, and the owner tries to keep the restaurant running without that financial support.

More often than not, the bank is still loaning money to the owner or owners by the time Gordon Ramsay, Robert Irvine, or Willie Diegel visits the place--they're just in debt by six- or seven-figure sums.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:22 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
rinmackie wrote:

See, I wish someone I could count on had told me that when I was younger.

It happened to me also. My high school didn't want to help find work experience opportunities to students if they were seen as university material, but they did to other students.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5