• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Anime Colony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
Several of my friends have discovered the hard way that a good degree counts for virtually nothing if you graduate with no work experience. I've made sure to have part time jobs whilst I've been at university not just for the extra money... In the UK whilst I was growing up, I and my friends grew up on the lie that you could go to university, graduate, then waltz into any job you please. Then the the big recession happened...
Half Life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
This feature often seems to bring about flashbacks in me -- while I worked in comics instead, I had alot of very similar experiences. It seems any job where a large portion of the people working near the bottom are also "fans" is prone to this sort of unprofessional working situation.

If nothing else, young people (looking to get into entertainment related fields) should take note of behavior that denotes leadership on a sinking ship. Noticing such erratic behavior, and promises that do not materialize (along with payment issues), can save you from continuing to put your time, energy and hope into something which is a dead-end.

Over time, my experiences led me to utilize a single metric to judge a viable freelance employer -- do I get paid in a timely manner with no drama? If the answer is yes, then keep working. If the answer is no, move on... no matter how many promises/insults they throw at you.

I also have seen many times where employers (and their henchmen) will question the "professionalism" of a freelance employee as a means to control them (eg: keep them working while not being paid) -- meanwhile ignoring their own extremely unprofessional behavior. Don't allow them to manipulate you -- if you are not getting paid what you are owed, then there is nothing worth salvaging. Move on.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon and others: Yes, I too, fell for the "all you need is a degree!" lie. And this was back in ye olden days, the late 80's, early 90's. (There was a recession back then too.)
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I and my friends grew up on the lie that you could go to university, graduate, then waltz into any job you please. Then the the big recession happened...

I was in college in the early 90s, and it was the same thing. I think there probably was an element of truth to what we were told at one time (when the vast majority of people didn't have university degrees), but there's been a huge generational shift in that regard. Nowadays, the job market is flooded with degreed candidates, many of whom specialized in fields with little relevance to the working world.

My advice to others is that if you love something that isn't going to make you much money, by all means study it, but as a minor or double-major with something that can make you a living. Experience in summer- or part-time jobs will also help give you a leg up on the competition, especially those who still expect everything to be handed to them when they graduate.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Several of my friends have discovered the hard way that a good degree counts for virtually nothing if you graduate with no work experience.

My masters program actually requires that you either do a practicum or substitute with an actual job. I wish it was something more programs did.
unready

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yeah, I should point out that not paying the employees because they've run low on money is a symptom, not a disease.

I think you've lost track of the original point.

You asserted Anime Colony wasn't paying writers because it didn't have any money. The point is that it had money, lots of money, virtually all of SciFi's money, even if Anime Colony itself was operating at a loss.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
ZenAmako wrote:
I approached this story with some trepidation, as I was one of the writers Justin managed.

OMG! I remember you! Hope you're doing well. Nice to see you're still active in the scene.

That feeling of recollection of meeting an old acquaintance is nice.

Also, a question to you Justin. Where exactly does this story fit in your timeline? Is this pre or post-central park media job? I remember you writing a story of your time there or maybe this wasn't it? I'm not sure, of the 6 articles it's kind of hard to piece the chronological order of your adventures are...
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
Also, a question to you Justin. Where exactly does this story fit in your timeline? Is this pre or post-central park media job? I remember you writing a story of your time there or maybe this wasn't it? I'm not sure, of the 6 articles it's kind of hard to piece the chronological order of your adventures are...

I'm obviously not Justin, but right at the end of the story Justin mentions that, post-SciFi, he worked at another place for a short bit before joining CPM. I'm going to guess that Justin's next story will be about how he got the opportunity to join the company.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
I think you've lost track of the original point.

You asserted Anime Colony wasn't paying writers because it didn't have any money. The point is that it had money, lots of money, virtually all of SciFi's money, even if Anime Colony itself was operating at a loss.

Yeah, I know. I tend to go on tangents like these.

But yeah, thanks for pointing out that the case with Anime Colony, as it's part of a larger company, is a different case than small self-run businesses.
Maokun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Man, that random name-dropping of the Anime Web Turnpike made me, for a strange second feel again like a excited teenager just discovering the Internet and realising there were other people out there that loved Ranma 1/2.

I also have currently a boss like that K, or rather, a "team leader". I've met several of their ilk and apparently it's a very easy recipe for a certain kind of human being: You take someone who is ambitious but also lazy and that for some reason believes he or she is a "fun guy/gal" and a position of middle management. He immediately will develop a strategy that consists of fakely befriending the employees under their charge with their pretend charisma and random, small, and empty gestures like giving candy or similar niceties very clearly lifted from a "leadership 101" pamphlet. Reassured with the imaginary facts that the employees are now on his eternal debt, he stretches back and expects them to go beyond duty on their tasks, minimising his own job. However, when reality starts showing itself to be different, his true colours start appearing...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5