• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeEigo Meets Otaku no Video Blu-ray Kickstarter Goal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting them to reach their goal, but I wasn't expecting it to reach it that fast Shocked. I'll be sure to throw some money at this near the end of the month.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
For comparison, Bubblegum Crisis' Kickstarter end total was "2,175 backers pledged $154,014 to help bring this project to life."
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
The idea of using the amount of backers as tiers for the stretch goals instead of the amount actually raised is bewildering. Why on earth would they do that? Do they want people to come up with 20 dummy KS accounts to pledge $1 each just to raise the backer count? It makes no sense.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations for Otaku no Video's Kickstarter becoming a success. Smile I hope this will encourage AnimEigo to make more Kickstarters for anime oldies.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The idea of using the amount of backers as tiers for the stretch goals instead of the amount actually raised is bewildering. Why on earth would they do that? Do they want people to come up with 20 dummy KS accounts to pledge $1 each just to raise the backer count? It makes no sense.

I believe the idea is to encourage people to be more vocal about the campaign. It's an interesting grassroots marketing concept.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This isn't some stupid button.

This isn't Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr or whatever. The obsession that social media morons have with these buttons is laughable, but the only thing that AnimeEigo is doing by outlining stretch goals in this manner is demotivating their base and likely losing some money had they just followed through with stretch goals as they did with BGC. Their "viral goals" section is fine for the button pressing, but when it comes down to the actual stretch goals, it needs to be formatted so that the target goal is concerning how much more money needs to be raised to reach the next tier.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Congratulations for Otaku no Video's Kickstarter becoming a success. Smile I hope this will encourage AnimEigo to make more Kickstarters for anime oldies.

This. Looking forward to getting my copy.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
^also looking forward to this. woo-hoo! Very Happy

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Since the one for Bubblegum was handled in such an excellent manner I wasn't the least surprised by their success here.

now I wonder what they'll be willing to take a chance on next? will it... could it be... and or is it even remotely possible... whimsical? fashionable? or something that's still on a smaller scale, comparable to this latest?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll raise enough to dub it? Naa. Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
It's interesting the backer names around mine in the list early on the first couple hours - I recognize some of 'em like Chris Beveridge and Jeanne Hedge. Laughing

lem wrote:

now I wonder what they'll be willing to take a chance on next? will it... could it be... and or is it even remotely possible... whimsical? fashionable? or something that's still on a smaller scale, comparable to this latest?

Won't be KOR or Yawara....... too long

Mohawk52 wrote:

Parts of it has already been dubbed! Didn't ya read the subtitles?! Very Happy
jhedge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's interesting the backer names around mine in the list early on the first couple hours - I recognize some of 'em like Chris Beveridge and Jeanne Hedge. Laughing

Just looking to update the classics collection Anime smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This isn't some stupid button.

This isn't Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr or whatever. The obsession that social media morons have with these buttons is laughable, but the only thing that AnimeEigo is doing by outlining stretch goals in this manner is demotivating their base and likely losing some money had they just followed through with stretch goals as they did with BGC. Their "viral goals" section is fine for the button pressing, but when it comes down to the actual stretch goals, it needs to be formatted so that the target goal is concerning how much more money needs to be raised to reach the next tier.

I have to agree with this. It actually reminds me a bit of a common problem during the anime bubble where people would indicate to the R1 companies how interested they were in various titles, and then sales would be quite low when those shows were available for sale. Maybe it will be fine and all those users have pledged enough money, but I'd rather know that the bills were going to be paid if it were up to me.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
I would back the project, but Kickstarters being a dick about it everytime I click pledge.
Ares_EMS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Riding Bean was announced as Animeigo's next project after OnV.

I am excited for this, but would doubly be more so if Gunsmith Cats was included as well. Not sure where the license stands with Sentai/ADV though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

When I learned that it reached the goal, a dub also came to my mind. They should do it if they reach something around $90,000.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2