• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Sound! Euphonium Totally Nails Being a Band Geek

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rubbrchikin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
This show drove me to post on ANN. Everything about my high school and university days came back to me. I played tuba though, not euph, though I was competent on both instruments. Hazuki's "AHA!" moment really resonated with me, made me say, "Wow, that's just like how it clicked with me when I played the tuba."

One thing I've noticed about S!E that's really familiar to me is how a lot of the instruments played are older models. Like the euphs played by Asuka and Kumiko, both of those are Yamaha models that haven't been produced for over 25 years. Of course, they're not really super-top end though, not like Hazuki's tuba. I would have been in heaven playing a rotary tuba like that back in high school. I was damn lucky to have been given a less-than-ten-years-old Yamaha YBB-321 piston-valve tuba when I was in high school.

My best memory is playing "Where Never Lark or Eagle Flew" by James Curnow at various high school band festivals. Fairly interesting song (youtube it), but like most compositions has a lot of long rests for tuba, of course. There's this one part in the slow section though where the sheet indicated tuba pedal notes. I was the only guy with the chops to actually play those, so I did. Laughing

Via_01 wrote:
As a side note, I remember that when Episode 5 aired (the one with the marching competition), some people said that KyoAni was simply "showing off" with how the bands marched (in a good way, of course), but recently I looked up in google some japanese high school marching bands and... holy hell. Just holy hell. I would never be able to do that.

To give you guys an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WS4VZYizA

Wow that's neat. I used to march like that back when I spent a season on marching band at university. Definitely not in high school like those kids though, my bandmates were far too apathetic to have ever been able to make that look good.

I'd say out of everyone in the band in high school, most were just there to goof off or earn their required arts & humanities credits, and only a very small handful actually cared about music. At university though, everyone there cared about the music, since there was no credit or requirement involved, so the people there wanted to be there.
Otaku1978

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
One of my friends introduced me to this anime, and the nostalgic feelings came flooding in. I've been playing euphonium and tuba off and on for almost 25 years, from middle school, through high school, and in my couple years and college, and still to this day. I was a pretty strict section leader as first-chair tuba from 10th-12th grades, expecting nothing but perfection from my fellow tubists. In my high school, we took concert season more seriously than marching season, as our symphonic band scored straight 1's for twenty-five years running, and I never gave up my first-chair status until the day I graduated high school. That second-chair tubist now owns a DMA in Music. I guess I pushed him pretty well! I also marched Sousaphone in high school and college, and I'll never trade those memories for anything. All of that backstory aside, this anime nails the competitive culture on the head. And it makes me want to cosplay as Takuya Gotou, complete with my tuba, at a future anime con.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4