• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo to Launch Kickstarter for Riding Bean Special Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
@spinja446

First AnimEigo is a small company. Probably just Robert Woodhead and a handful of employees and family members. In addition it is just them, they are not a subsidiary of a larger corporation that can bankroll them. I doubt what AnimEigo does is applicable to any other North American company.

Secondly, why would you care what their business model is? As long as they deliver an honest product (and they do). Does it really matter how it is financed?

If you don't like the process, don't buy, or wait and pay extra for it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kind of an odd choice for a Kickstarter. I don't think it has quite the fandom BGC has. Maybe you'll get some of the Gunsmith Cats fans, like me, but other than that, who's really looking for Riding Bean?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe because I use Kickstarter so much (like 40 backed projects) I don't under stand the problem people are having.

As long as they deliver on their promises for products, I see this as a totally legit way to get capital and exposure for a product. Sure Anime Egio has been around a long time, they were also dormant in the anime industry for years. And just because something has been around a long time doesn't mean it isn't independent anymore.

I'm thinking about doing the one for Otaku No Video. But there have been so many Kickstarters I want to back right now, I have to pick and choose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I'm thinking about doing the one for Otaku No Video. But there have been so many Kickstarters I want to back right now, I have to pick and choose.

I guess that's the hesitation some have, that everyone suddenly floods the market with their anime Kickstarters because they want zero risk on things they aren't sure of. It's one thing to have a definite release coming and having your choice there, but another thing to have to choose between what could be released, and usually at a Kickstarter premium cost.
jhedge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
I'm starting to get really suspicious of AnimEigo these days turning towards over to Kickstarter for funding again and again.

First Bubblegum Crisis, then Otaku no Video and now Riding Bean... Surely this is sending the wrong message in the industry. Soon Media Blasters, Funimation, Sentai, Discotek will follow suit.

It wasn't "First" BGC. "First" was SDF Macross in 2001 (just in time for Christmas). They did a massive image clean-up (wow was the "before" dark and dirty), remaster, etc, and released it uncut with subtitles based on fans promising they'd pay when the time came. Fortunately, nearly everyone did. (no Kickstarter collecting your credit card as you pledged in those days)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
@jhedge
The did the same thing with Kimagure Orange Road on VHS (and probably Laser Disk). Again, nothing they could enforce, just a certain number of fans pledging to buy the show when it came out.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I agree that there are just too many projects right now that I'd love to support. I've pledged for this and the latest Sekai Project offering, but there's still the NPO animators and the hentai artist whose house burned down that I'd like to help out. It probably doesn't help that this is being done during the height of convention season and I've already taken two direct hits from SakuraCon and Animazement.

I pledged for this project and I'll likely pledge for Riding Bean despite not being a huge fan of it. Assuming the same price structuring will be used, it's $50 (for Premium) to help preserve a show for future generations.

Would love to go for a sketch tier but 2K is too much for a Sonoda sketch, especially when there's one for sale on Mandarake right now for 35,000 yen.
jhedge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@jhedge
The did the same thing with Kimagure Orange Road on VHS (and probably Laser Disk). Again, nothing they could enforce, just a certain number of fans pledging to buy the show when it came out.

Dunno about VHS, but the "backers" for the LD box set of the TV series got a little pin as a bonus (for whining for it for years, I guess Wink). I still have mine.
spinja446

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@spinja446

First AnimEigo is a small company. Probably just Robert Woodhead and a handful of employees and family members. In addition it is just them, they are not a subsidiary of a larger corporation that can bankroll them. I doubt what AnimEigo does is applicable to any other North American company.

Secondly, why would you care what their business model is? As long as they deliver an honest product (and they do). Does it really matter how it is financed?

If you don't like the process, don't buy, or wait and pay extra for it.

My issue with them is that they are exploiting their own catalog. What they did with Bubblegum Crisis was very much appriciated and deserving of the title but Otaku no Video and now Riding Bean just seems like a desperate attempt to ramp up sales and their significance. Otaku no Video and Riding Bean are classic anime titles but not in the same way Bubblegum Crisis was.

Otaku No Video was licensed and released all the way back in 2001 and Riding Bean was released in 2002. Both titles were released spanning past a decade ago. When they were released both titles were talked little of and still to this day.

No one cares about either of these titles. It's why they've both been sitting in the Bargain Bin section of every online store for more than 14 years. People all the sudden seem to care now when AnimEigo kickstarts them? Sales must have really hit rock bottom with both of these titles. We know you have an Anime catalog AnimEigo but to hype them up as if they are must haves. That does not sound honest, I'm not buying it.

I have a problem when people Kickstart things that's not even their property and didn't even create any of the material. I see Kickstarter as a place where people and the little guy can be able to fund original independent projects. Sure they pay the licensing fees but it's not theirs and doing something like this only benefits them trying to stay in the news.

Otaku no Video is really old Gainax history but not one to make a huge impact and I don't know why so many people supported it. Rushing out to support an OVA that hasn't had any significance for 2 decades but everything changes when someone kickstarts it. I own Otaku no Video on dvd and sure it's funny and great but not something to go nuts over and fund a blu-ray release for it and for extra behind the scenes stuff, art book and what else drawing sketches? Otaku no Video and Riding Bean is not legendary stuff. Especially Riding Bean a spin-off of Gunsmith Cats. They are bargain bin OVA's where they currently are and rightfully where they should be and stay at.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I would've preferred a new announcement myself. And Riding Bean definitely does not have the nostalgia value of BGC or ONV. So, pass.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
@spinja446
You do realize that they are putting out a Bluray version in both cases don't you, with extras?? I have the DVD version of both of the titles in question and will be buying the new version. If the new publicity introduces new people to these older titles, I fail to see any harm. They are very clear about what they are offering and they deliver on what they promise.

I feel it is up to Kickstarter to determine what Kickstarter is for.

@jhedge
Yeah, the VHS set came with a pin as well. As I remember, I got one with each of the two halves of the show on VHS. I think I gave one away with the VHS version. If I still have the other it would probably take half an hour to find it.
spinja446

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@spinja446
You do realize that they are putting out a Bluray version in both cases don't you, with extras?? I have the DVD version of both of the titles in question and will be buying the new version. If the new publicity introduces new people to these older titles, I fail to see any harm. They are very clear about what they are offering and they deliver on what they promise.

I feel it is up to Kickstarter to determine what Kickstarter is for.

Well I guess there is a gray-area then. But I'm curious why after being in business for 25 years all the sudden rely solely on crowdfunding to make their blu-ray release dreams come true. It seems AnimEigo has lost sight or is ignoring the fundamentals of financing a project and running a business. Taking money away from gullible fans to release a blu ray with extras and rewards is silly.

Again they claim to be a company that has been in business for 25 years, you'd think they wouldn't have to resort to something like Kickstarter and know the ropes and the funds on how to do proper releases without crowdfunding. If they were a brand new company trying to get off the ground then something like this is not that big of a deal. It becomes sketchy though when they've been around for 2 decades and now can't do their own releases? They should have clean and transparent ledgers so supporters can see where the money is actually going. Something went wrong over within their business and now we are here.

I'd love to see how AnimEigo would operate if something like Kickstarter didn't exist. What AnimeSols was doing was just fine but it's a shame it didn't work out for them longevity wise. It's to bad they had to close shop.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Why couldn't they have gotten the Gunsmith Cats OAV? That I would definitely contribute to.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
They sure don't make chins like they used to.

You can say that again, that guy would give Bruce Campbell a run for his money. Laughing
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Why couldn't they have gotten the Gunsmith Cats OAV?

Gunsmith Cats is from ADV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4