• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo to Launch Kickstarter for Riding Bean Special Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork AnimeEigo doesn't have the rights to Gunsmith Cats Sentai Film Works apparently still owns the rights to it since the license is not showing expired.

If by some miracle they did a kickstarter for it the sky would be the limit on how much I would pledge for it.

As for spinja446 AnimeEigo doesn't rely on Anime that much anymore to stay afloat and they are offering what titles they still own the rights to on Blu-Ray for those who want them. It's a smart business move rather than press discs that may just collect dust and loose them tons of money they get backers to give them a idea on how many units will sell. So they crunch the numbers and say hey if we raise this much money you will get the shiny new Blu-Ray. If not then no one looses anything. They are in the business to make money who cares where all the extra money goes as long as they deliver the final product as advertised which they have been doing.

Other companies like Funimation or Sentai etc don't have to rely on Kickstarter because it comes with the game of licensing a show and hoping that it's not a stinker. They don't just pick one on a whim they go for series they feel will make them money without too much of a loss or a hit hopefully that will sell like hot cakes.

AnimeEigo is pretty much a dead Anime company even more so then Media Blasters so that have to find ways to reduce loses where ever they can.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
jhedge wrote:
It wasn't "First" BGC. "First" was SDF Macross in 2001 (just in time for Christmas). They did [lots of stuff] based on fans promising they'd pay when the time came. Fortunately, nearly everyone did.

Good times; I've still got my box set.

I also remember that around that time they set up pledge counters for three other series (Yu-Yu Hakusho, YUA TV, and Yawara!, IIRC) that they hadn't licensed, but would do so if sufficient numbers pledged to buy them.

Unfortunately, however, they made their pledge numbers public. Yu-Yu Hakusho was way out in the lead, and then it mysteriously got grabbed by Funimation. YUA wasn't doing too badly, and then ADV snapped it up. They'd talked about doing uncut versions of the other parts of Robotech if the Macross preorder was successful, and once it proved to be so, Southern Cross and Mospeada mysteriously got snapped up by ADV.

Maybe it was all coincidence, but I couldn't help wondering if they were inadvertently doing other companies' market research for them.

AE has always been small, and has never seemed all that interested in growing into a giant megacompany. Starting around the time licensing costs became outrageous, they did become quite risk-averse. Before going silent on the anime front, they came to rely almost exclusively on the Kickstarter-before-there-was-Kickstarter model for their anime. (Which is why what they're doing now is so totally not a surprise to us old-timers.)

The downside to their caution (for anime fans, at least) is that they were eventually priced out of the anime market altogether, and turned to Japanese live-action films instead; the upside is that unlike so many of the high-rolling players of the bubble, they're still in business (and have incidentally released a bunch of good Japanese movies, too).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Unfortunately, however, they made their pledge numbers public. Yu-Yu Hakusho was way out in the lead, and then it mysteriously got grabbed by Funimation. YUA wasn't doing too badly, and then ADV snapped it up. They'd talked about doing uncut versions of the other parts of Robotech if the Macross preorder was successful, and once it proved to be so, Southern Cross and Mospeada mysteriously got snapped up by ADV.

Maybe it was all coincidence, but I couldn't help wondering if they were they inadvertently doing other companies' market research for them.

That's very possible--
AE had a very organized fanbase, with its own mailing-list (remember those?) community that Woodhead even communicated with regularly. Which put their finger on creating, watching and unifying the early anime-fandom's pulse, but what they didn't have were mass-market breakout hits on Suncoast shelves, which the other companies could create.

They had their historical heyday right smack between the mass-market's first interest of the mid-90's, when all we saw were Viz's Ranma and Manga's GITS on shelves, and the licensing bubble of the 00's, when ADV thought we'd buy anything they licensed, without doing the customer research.
That's unfortunately what makes AE seem like such a 90's relic, that it's from the days when fans had to do everything by themselves because no one else bothered to. Now there's just too much competition from those who do, now that they've gotten the basic idea.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
jhedge wrote:
It wasn't "First" BGC. "First" was SDF Macross in 2001 (just in time for Christmas). They did [lots of stuff] based on fans promising they'd pay when the time came. Fortunately, nearly everyone did.

Good times; I've still got my box set.

So do I. A pretty good set. I love the linear notes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:

Taking money away from gullible fans to release a blu ray with extras and rewards is silly.

I'm not sure how that is silly or how that makes people gullible if that is a product they want. I replaced most of my VHS with DVDs at one point. A lot of people would like to have Blu ray. Or maybe there are people might have not even owned these titles before and want a copy?

I also feel like Otaku no Video and Riding Bean are both titles that might not be "classic" on the same level as Bubblegum Crisis but there are certainly Gainax and Kenichi Sonoda who would be interested in these products. But maybe not enough to mass produce copies for? Going the Kickstarter route makes sure there is enough interest in the produce to produce it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
spinja446 wrote:

Taking money away from gullible fans to release a blu ray with extras and rewards is silly.

I'm not sure how that is silly or how that makes people gullible if that is a product they want. I replaced most of my VHS with DVDs at one point. A lot of people would like to have Blu ray. Or maybe there are people might have not even owned these titles before and want a copy?

I can say without a doubt that any anime related project that gets Kickstarted, every anime enthusiast makes it their duty to go rally and back the cause. I can tell you that these gullible fans DO NOT NEED Otaku no Video or Riding Bean on blu ray. They are going over to the kickstarter page giving them money cause they feel like they need too or to feel like what they are giving and doing is important for the industry.

Otaku no Video and Riding Bean weren't important anime of their times nor are they now. Again one is old history not worth knowing and the other is just a fun short spin-off of Gunsmith Cats. They are bargain bin OVA's that are there to fill the cart.

Now sure this kickstarter is not hurting anything but be honest with yourselves do you all need Otaku no Video and Riding Bean blu ray's in your lives? I say no. There are much more worthy classics that deserve this treatment instead of these two titles. Nevertheless it's your money in your wallet so do what you want with it.

Also on the topic of relentless anime fans making it their duty to feel known by their presence quit 5 starring every anime on Netflix! There's a lot of great anime on there but not everything needs 5 stars, especially some of the crappy titles I've seen that have 5 stars! Ok I'm done ranting now. Smile
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:

Also on the topic of relentless anime fans making it their duty to feel known by their presence quit 5 starring every anime on Netflix! There's a lot of great anime on there but not everything needs 5 stars, especially some of the crappy titles I've seen that have 5 stars! Ok I'm done ranting now. Smile

Are you looking at Netflix reviews or the stars Netflixs shows you when you hover over a title? Because if it is the second thing, that is how much Netflix thinks you will a title. Now, sometimes that is really wrong. I feel like Netflix thinks if you like one anime you will all of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Are you looking at Netflix reviews or the stars Netflixs shows you when you hover over a title? Because if it is the second thing, that is how much Netflix thinks you will a title. Now, sometimes that is really wrong. I feel like Netflix thinks if you like one anime you will all of them.

I'm talking about how many stars it has when you go over them. Ones that aren't recommended to me. If you use Netflix as much as I do to watch regular shows or to get caught up on something and you go through the different genre sections you know each section will have a set of films or shows that are 1 or 2 stars but if you go to the anime section everything is 5 stars and I mean everything and Netflix has quite a good chunk of anime in their catalogue. I've only watched about three anime on Netflix which was Yu-gi-Oh, Blue Exorcist and like 2 episodes of Hunter x Hunter. I'm not really a anime viewer on Netflix but I know everything in their anime catalogue is not worth having 5 stars. I mostly watch all my stuff over on Crunchyroll.

Maybe this is their way of getting Netflix's attention that people want more anime on there so they rate everything 5 stars I don't know, that's just my assumption. There are a lot of hit's and misses on Netflix from your high budget stuff to your low budget syfy knock off movies but everything in the anime section is 5 star amazing? I don't think so!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:

Most of it's a default rating, refined, as noted, by fan input. Which fan movement can be a little misguided--or at the very least severely uninformed--as
A) it's rooted in the fan "Santa Claus" theory of the early 00's, that Netflix goes out and gets any anime it wants to, and not just takes whatever existing streams Funimation.com was also opening up in crossover deals when they weren't throwing it to Viewster,
and
B) it purports a cruel deception on unsuspecting viewers, leading them to believe that Heaven's Lost Property and My Bride is a Mermaid are "4-star series".

B is a particularly indefensible crime. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Quote:
I can tell you that these gullible fans DO NOT NEED Otaku no Video or Riding Bean on blu ray.

Gullible or not, it is not your place to tell people what they want or need. They get to make their own decisions.
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Gullible or not, it is not your place to tell people what they want or need. They get to make their own decisions.

Which I guess I'll quote myself in one of my previous posts.

spinja446 wrote:
Nevertheless it's your money in your wallet so do what you want with it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
@spinja446

In which case, I fail to see your problem. You are coming across as outraged that AnimEigo is doing this. However for every show old or new, good or bad you will find supporters who think it is the holy grail and others who think it is trash. Companies get to put out anything they can license. Fans get to buy anything that takes their fancy. I don't understand why all the hate and discontent. Kickstarter is not some holy place that must not be defiled by inferior products. Especially since no one can agree on what is good bad or indifferent.
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm not trying to dictate anyones decisions but I find it hard to believe that anyone would ever go back and have multiple viewings of something like Riding Bean. I don't see any amazing or nostalgia factor here for either of these titles. They haven't aged well either and Bluray quality will not make them any better.

I don't think I have ever encountered a dissucssion involving something around Riding Bean. I just don't see what value it has to justify a bluray release. I know who thinks it does though, AnimEigo. Of course they do cause it's in their own catalogue.

I see more outcry for stuff like Cyber City Oedo 808 that needs a bluray release and other old requested titles. Never have I seen Otaku no Video and Riding Bean requested. If you need to view either of these I say you should just buy it on dvd for $3 somewhere or find it online.

Otaku no Video and Riding Bean is not holy grail stuff nor is it trash. They are just fun small OVA's that are sort of there to be seen 1 or 3 times. There's nothing more to go back to after that once you viewed it that much. Nothing to really take away from them.

I apologize if you think I have hate and discontent for AnimEigo. I don't, I appreciated what they did for Bubblegum Crisis very much as I said in my very first post in this thread but some things are not worth calling for help to crowd fund something that hasn't had any significance in near past a decade.
F-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I for one am not supporting Otaku no Video or Riding Bean even though I follow AnimEigo's Kickstarter efforts VERY closely. They're just not titles I'm interested in.

I do look very much look forward to their new licenses projects. I look forward to Discotek's upcoming crowdfunds on their own website too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:
I do look very much look forward to their new licenses projects. I look forward to Discotek's upcoming crowdfunds on their own website too.

Discotek I actually WOULD crowdfund--
Seeing as I trust them to actually dig up some verified ancient classic, would go all out for print quality (and all archival dubs, if they can get their hands on them), would be more of a for-fan-by-fan effort, and, unlike AE, not cost $50-60 for an SD-on-Blu disk.
That's one reason I don't expect they'll ever do crowdfunding, as they don't particularly need to, but if they had to, it would be something big. If they had to ask us to commit to their SD-on-Blu Samurai Pizza Cats disk--which would cost less--I would, but fortunately, they haven't seen fit to solicit us yet.

(Here, we're just using loyalty as a smokescreen for the fact that garage companies can't cut it anymore.
I'm loyal, but it comes at a price.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4