• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo to Launch Kickstarter for Riding Bean Special Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
I don't see any amazing or nostalgia factor here for either of these titles. They haven't aged well either and Bluray quality will not make them any better.

Don't know how old you are, but they would hold nostalgia value for Kenichi Sonoda fans, and others who were around when they came out. I got the laserdisc for Riding Bean. I would love it if more of Johji Manabe's stuff came out, hopefully Outlanders will come out on BD someday. But I would love for Outlanders to become a full anime TV series. Who knows, maybe someday.
spinja446

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Don't know how old you are, but they would hold nostalgia value for Kenichi Sonoda fans, and others who were around when they came out. I got the laserdisc for Riding Bean. I would love it if more of Johji Manabe's stuff came out, hopefully Outlanders will come out on BD someday. But I would love for Outlanders to become a full anime TV series. Who knows, maybe someday.

I just turned 29 a couple days ago and was born in 86'. All I took away from watching Riding Bean about two or three times in my life was that it was just short and fun but it never impacted me like a lot of the older stuff, especially when the ultra violent wave of OVA's started to hit in the early 90's.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Quote:
I see more outcry for stuff like Cyber City Oedo 808

I think I see part of the problem. This is the old complaint we get frequently when a new license is announced, especially an older show. "Why did they get that, I would rather they got (insert show name here). The problem with that is that the show which is preferred isn't necessarily available, may cost too much or the show simply may not have occurred to them.

The other thing to keep in mind is that AnimEigo is picking low hanging fruit at the moment. They already have the license to the DVD version and likely still have a relationship with the licensor. Also the Bluray version has already been done which means they can offer added value for people who already have the show.

And you are right, neither of these shows is so classic that they can assume the market still exists. That makes Kickstarter a perfect way to test demand. If it doesn't sell they have lost very little. So far it seems to be working.

I realize these shows are not for you, but the fact that most recent offering made the first goal so quickly means that there are a lot of people who want it, and no they are not all clueless newbies.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
I'm not trying to dictate anyones decisions but I find it hard to believe that anyone would ever go back and have multiple viewings of something like Riding Bean. I don't see any amazing or nostalgia factor here for either of these titles. They haven't aged well either and Bluray quality will not make them any better.

No way dude, Riding Bean's BD is fantastic looking and it's absolutely rewatchable because it's so condensed and fun. Of course, that's just my opinion, and that I generally love seeing any analog anime, but especially OVAs and movies, released on BD. I find that higher picture quality CAN enhance my viewing because I can find enjoyment in the actual craft of the making the anime if the anime itself may not be that great. I just find the process fascinating, and BD lets see you that upclose.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
People on Kickstarter decide if something is worth funding. Ya put something on KS and if enough people think it's worth it, then it's worth funding. Otherwise, it just doesn't get funded. But it's not for us to decide; ya let the people decide.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: Well, this one might make its basic goal. But stretch goals might be a different question.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
@GATSU
It has already made its basic goal and first stretch goals.

Goalitude
Posted by Robert J Woodhead
Good morning, Gentleotaku.
As I write this we are very close to achieving the first stretch goal, and the premium/basic ratio (as discussed in the previous update) is holding up at almost 4:1. So based on that, and using the power vested unto me as CEO and Grand Poobah of AnimEigo, I've decided to declare that the first stretch goal, Cover Up(grade), has been achieved!
(Also, Natsumi said I could)
New Artwork, New Rewards
The Cover Up(grade) stretch goal means that Mr. Sonoda is going to create two new Otaku no Video color illustrations, in addition to the two he is already going to create for the premium packaging. Tonight at 9PM ET I will add four new Colorful rewards that deliver the original artwork, which he will sign if desired. As we don't know exactly what he is going to create, the four rewards will have staggered prices, with the one that delivers first choice set highest. As with the other unique rewards, the price will reduce every day until they are chosen.
Moving the Goal Posts
Now that the first goal has been reached, since the demographics are holding up, I am also going to adjust the numbers on some of the other stretch goals.
I am reducing the Mini-Manga stretch goal from 1992 to 1250, and the Today is a Good Day to Subtitle stretch goal from 5958 to 1500!
I can do this because these goals impose mostly one-time preproduction costs, as opposed to per-copy costs. Since the premium/basic ratio is so much more favorable than I expected, the number of backers needed to add them to the budget is much lower.
I am keeping the Comically Awesome goal at its current level for now, for two reasons: first, it does have significant per-copy costs, and second, I want to have space for new stretch goals.
The first of these, at 1750 backers, is Comprehensible Commentary. This is a brand-new english-language commentary track, featuring author and Anime historian Gilles Poitras.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4