• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Actually, I Am… (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

As for the episode itself, why in the flying hell didn't Class Rep ask Shiragami to help her with the body? She doesn't have a problem lying (so the teacher would just let her go to the bathroom without her needing to pretend she was about to poop herself), she obviously has access to the girl's bathroom with no issues, and it's much less of a problem if she's found carrying the body to the nursery (something like 'I found her collapsed in the bathroom' could easily work as an excuse).

Two simple reasons.

1 - Because the episode would have only lasted two minutes.
2 - Seeing Nagisa with the cutest, most stressful expressions ever was just totally and utterly worth the price of admission!
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Nagisa thought Shiragami wouldn't be able to carry her body. Also Shiragami is not exactly the brightest, so its easier to ask him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I do indeed think a good reason to choose him over Shiragmi to help move her body was that Shiragami is indeed a bit dense. But I found the episode utterly hilarious. The whole figure scene was great, especially with even Shiragami misunderstanding him as a pervert, and even more especially with Aizawa also mistaking his actions as that of a pervert.

The whole misunderstanding thing can get old, but really did not feel od here at all, and I would put that down to things like good reasons, and actually talking it out with the people that matter. And honestly Shiragami being clueless is funny. And highlights like tiny Aizawa also doing the wave along with the other two when they were trying to convince Mikan.

And not forget that there seems to be rumours in the school already of the secrets, the hallway fairy (alien Aizawa), and even Shiragami's secret as a vampire. Plus also what appears to be a demon loli principal, and what I am guessing a character being an exhibitionist. Lets see more.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought it odd that the MC managed to lie effectively, and not just once but multiple times this episode. Isn't he the guy who is supposed to be incapable of keeping a secret or fooling anyone? There was his teacher, his perverted friend, his love interest, his other love interest and his other other love interest. That's five people.

So much for him being a "leaky basket".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Maybe that is why all the characters were so quick to think of him as a pervert because they think he can't lie. But he pushed himself real hard for his friend.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
especially with even Shiragami misunderstanding him as a pervert, and even more especially with Aizawa also mistaking his actions as that of a pervert.

If you are in an anime and you are a male you are simply out of luck. You are always assumed to be in the wrong no matter what.

But it seemed class rep was willing to be grateful to him for real. In her own thoughts at least.

But you are right, Shiragami has turned out to be a comedy gold mine.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
especially with even Shiragami misunderstanding him as a pervert, and even more especially with Aizawa also mistaking his actions as that of a pervert.

If you are in an anime and you are a male you are simply out of luck. You are always assumed to be in the wrong no matter what.

I found it like a play on the concept, that both of them should have clearly understood why he was saying what he was, but despite that they both could still misinterpret it. It was funny to me because the cliché was overpowering what was clearly common sense to these characters, and to a comical level.

Sometimes it can be annoying, but others it can be funny. Another example that comes to mind is Seitokai Yakuindomo where the girls with the dirty minds often eject extra meaning into the male character's words. The joke is then the male character pointing out that he clearly was not. In effect the joke is at the expense of the girls projecting their own thoughts rather than at the hapless male character, and so far this series has kind of been largely keeping that. Kind of like Aizawa idea of using a hammer to remove memories was so out there that she herself is the joke. And brought home by the fact that Shiragami and Aizawa are generally reasonable.

I think the dislike people have felt over Mikan has been that she was fairly unreasonable earlier.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
For a moment there, I really thought this was going to be the episode that brought Mikan into the fold (something that feels inevitable to me due to her also having a secret).

I kind of want an Aizawa figure now. It's all just clever marketing!

It's really nice to see the show being more good-natured again after Mikan's cruelty dominated the last episode.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
This episode was hilarious.

Gptta feel bad for Asahi thoughe...
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

I feel like the show's pacing went backwards a bit. There wasn't too much focus on the plot this week except for strengthening Asahi and Youko's relationship. We did learn more about what vampires seems to be "afraid" or "fear" though, or at least in Youko's case.

Also, I think it's obvious that Nagisa is developing a crush herself towards Asahi based on her reactions.

Next week should be interesting considering that Youko made a comment about her childhood friend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
For a guy who found love during highschool while hiding his identity as a vampire, Youko's dad is a real ass about her daughter also having someone who knows her secret.
Or maybe it's because he thinks she's gonna start liking Kuromine and he's just an overly protective dad? Still, that "give Youko to me" comment was all kinds of weird.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I would have liked more movement on the demon loli, but this was a good enough episode, both the avoiding sunlight and the date part. I really had the same thought that UV rays go through clouds, so the transparent umbrella was a terrible idea for her. Then the taking it serious training, and the punchline that she had not even tried sunscreen before. I really find the character more entertaining than many of the same old harem heroine clichés, like being a self proclaimed "cool beauty".

I actually went back through the OP and figured out the twist of the wolf man guy, spoiler[he can gender bend]. It took me this long to realise spoiler[that in the OP song he and the girl are wearing the same styled top and the same accessories]. It might be more interesting than it first appears.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I really find the character more entertaining than many of the same old harem heroine clichés, like being a self proclaimed "cool beauty".

What I find also refreshing is how Asahi is not so enamored with Shiragami that he fails to see what a ditz she is at times. He actually knows when she is posing or pretending and when she is genuine. That bodes well for a possible future relationship.

What I find tiresome is how we are at a spot where each of them have to so strenuously and self-conciousally pretend that that are not interested in each other all the time. How does anime rom-com snap into that mode so relentlessly?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I find tiresome is how we are at a spot where each of them have to so strenuously and self-conciousally pretend that that are not interested in each other all the time. How does anime rom-com snap into that mode so relentlessly?

Well Shiragami seems afraid that pursuing something more might ruin their friendship, even though it fits a romantic ideal for her. I guess that itself is part of a cliché, but it has not felt too forced that her goofy, not quite moe character makes the friendly banter scenes work. And she thinks she has a different role in trying to help him get the girl he likes.

He was technically already turned down by Aizawa before the start of the series when she had no interest in him, and it has not quite been the case that she might have started to get an interest in him then like another show I can think of.

I guess Akemi fits the kind of tired "why has she not said anything yet" situation. If I did have a hope for her it would be that she might go through an evolution through the show. The difference between her "heathen" mode and her last episode quieter "did that figure just land by itself", puts a bit of variety that time would take to see if there is anything.

Shiragami getting hooked on the adrenaline despite looking absolutely horrified of the rollercoaster was entertaining. Maybe I am giving the a pass for some reason.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:55 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
For a guy who found love during highschool while hiding his identity as a vampire, Youko's dad is a real ass about her daughter also having someone who knows her secret.
Or maybe it's because he thinks she's gonna start liking Kuromine and he's just an overly protective dad? Still, that "give Youko to me" comment was all kinds of weird.

FWIW I think the "idiot" he's referring to is her, not Asashi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7