• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Himouto! Umaru-chan (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote

Himouto! Umaru-chan (TV)

Genres: Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Themes: Secret identity, siblings

Plot Summary: The sibling gag comedy manga centers around Umaru, Taihei's little sister who boasts beautiful looks as well as prowess in both school and sports; however, "Himouto" (beautiful little sister) has a certain secret.
----------------------------------

One of the most amusing series I've come across. The premise is exactly what it sounds like but you'll see the secret soon. Or perhaps this preview video has a good general idea.

I'm expecting a lot of laughs from this tbh. The VA casting is also decent from the list so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I'll just to put this upfront so people don't get the wrong idea and avoid the show because of it:

There is no incest in this. Not even the slightest hint of it.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I`ve been reading the series for over a year now, and it`s pretty amusing, nothing downright funny.

From the Promotion Videos, the anime does look like it`s going to be good.

I`ll surely be watching it!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

THAT OPENING song. One of the most clever ones I've seen for the season/year.

This is what I pretty much expected. It has good comedy with double faced sister Umaru. I think her voice actresses did a wonderful job to portray a character with double personality. Overall, nice episode. Good to know that this will be full length too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't think a show that is literally only one joke can support a run time like this.
Pichiko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
It's the show I hoped for this season, I've heard good things from the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
You know, it's not half bad. Nothing laugh out loud but still were a few funny moment when she goes in chibi mode. Could have done with far less school scene.

Ultimatly her double face isn't particularly interesting, just her lazy side antic are fun (for now, the joke will get old).
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I love the manga. I am really surprised this got a full length series. I was expecting this to be 5 minute show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
I think that her becoming chibi works great so that she is not sexualised in the least, kind of like how it was done in Hanamaru Kindergarten. Also in showing her terrible habbits in how she becomes bratty. And how she manages to be perfect at everything, so annoying.

And I do think that this is one of the better OPs I have seen lately. I am a huge sucker of using that 8bit style for a bit of fun.

I also was thinking that this looked like something perfect something just a few minutes long, but they filled time okay in the first episode, went through an array of emotions.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
a couple of the segments ran a little too long, but I did think it was funny. So I'm on board for now
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I kinda like Ebina tbh. She's cute and timid but very kind for a girl of her personality. As for Umaru, I could tell that she was able to explode this episode because of the lack of gaming she had at the restaurant LOL

At least she got her dose of coca cola..
I wonder how many of those she goes through a day.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Seeing the gulping of coca cola kind of makes me feel sick, perhaps from my own past high amount of soda drinking, and that I made the decision to stop drinking it. Morning cola! But I can't say that I am not guilty of that sin.

Onii-chan is surprisingly in control, I know that I would have lost it being woken up like that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I'm going to assume that Kirie failed to realize the chibi girl in front of her was the real Umaru because she forms of her own delusions of people at times; like the way she pictured Ebina with a watermelon on her head.

The ghost filler thing at the end got me laughing this week after the credits. This show continuously to be amusing.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
hehe loved how her delusion just went on and became ridiculous.

It's still pretty good, and definitely has the best opening of this season anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
hehe loved how her delusion just went on and became ridiculous.

The princess? Or the one that went from the bad habits being found out, being in a giant hamster cage, and then flying on hamsters into space?

meiam wrote:
It's still pretty good, and definitely has the best opening of this season anime.

I agree, it is my favourite opening of the season, partially from my own game interests.

Ugh, I think I just recalled being kind of similar in terms of getting fairly good grades despite goofing off all the time when I was younger. Eating way too much junk food, and playing FPS instead of studying. Actually has me wonder if what she does has a good reason, their father is apparently a director, could running away from the stress be something she needs?

Also, Kirie totally reminded me of Tomoko. and that was before even hearing her speak. After that, there are some similarities there, indeed shy. She even has a bit few other problems in how she seems to see some people.

And what was with that one scene of the ghosts apparently partying? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4