• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
great review again, good to see two weeks of soild input

If i might just say, the Reason Law does not recognize Sugar is because she and Monet (reviled in a SBS in the Manga volumes that the two were sisters and Sugar is really 26 and her fruit makes her stay the age she was when she ate it) joins after Law had left Doflomingo's group so he has no knowledge of Sugar or her power which is why he's so casual about her approach.

So Trafalgar Law had left over 10 years ago? I highly doubt that. (Remember that Sugar's first application of the Hobby-Hobby Fruit was to Kyros, who had been stuck that way for a decade, and by then she had already been a part of the Doflamingo Pirates.)

Look back at Riku's/ Kyros' Flashback, Law wasn't involved in the invasion of Dressrosa. If you look at Law's Flashback, the only characters from the Family not present are Monet and Sugar.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually, an interesting direction to go with filler, is they should break from the main story and animate the SBS episodes. They could really fill in all sorts of gaps and go quite a ways in terms of adding episodes. Altho I agree that there's not really a good "take a break" moment during Dressrosa.
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Look back at Riku's/ Kyros' Flashback, Law wasn't involved in the invasion of Dressrosa. If you look at Law's Flashback, the only characters from the Family not present are Monet and Sugar.

To support snakebit, YES, Law left more than 10 years ago. Some of the other dynamics of the Law/Doflamingo dynamic are kinda weird and all things considered it IS surprising Doflamingo hasn't really taken more effort to get a hold of Law, but yes, it has been a really long time.

Last edited by HeeroTX on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

So Trafalgar Law had left over 10 years ago? I highly doubt that. (Remember that Sugar's first application of the Hobby-Hobby Fruit was to Kyros, who had been stuck that way for a decade, and by then she had already been a part of the Doflamingo Pirates.)

Trafalgar Law already said that this last 13 years of his life were meant to destroy Doflamingo! So is alright to assume that he left at least 13 years ago.

Also Trafalgar Law said that he never went to Dressrossa because is Doflamingo country. We know that Doflamingo conquered Dressrossa 10 years ago, the first time we see Sugar. So at that time Law was already not with Doflamingo.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the new crew member discussion: I'm not certain the crew will ever add another member at this point. Its been more than 300 episodes since Brook joined them, by far the longest stretch without a new crewmate. Brook also joined them just before they reached the halfway point of their voyage, so if the first half was about (very slowly) gathering Luffy's dream crew, the second half is about the strawhats becoming a powerful enough force to stand a chance at finding the One Piece. I always figured Brook would be the last to join because Luffy has been talking about adding a musician to the crew since the very first episode. That gives things a feeling of closure when Brook finally joins.

Plus, it feels like Oda often struggles to include all nine crewmembers in a story arc (in Dressrosa, he basically says to hell with it and sends half the crew off to the next island early, and we haven't heard from them since.) Adding another member wouldn't really help with this. I think what's more likely is that Luffy will begin working more closely with other crews, and allies like Bartolmeo and Law will eventually help him build a fleet similar to what Whitebeard had.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
This episode was really drawn out, but at the same time the idea behind it made the tension work for me. Dressrosa is really Usopp`s arc.

No more Neo-Japang episodes please, they were worse than anything else.

They could insert a Coby and Helpmeppo episode as the fight starts (Garp remembering Kinjao), or give Jimbei something to do. No end of characters to just flesh out a little more. Alternate universe filler really doesn`t work that well for the show and we definitely don`t need another Buggy episode. I wish they had just taken a season off so they could have a tighter show.

Why didn`t the nutcrackers turn into people? they spent a good amount of camera time on them crumbling, but the other time the toys reverted pretty fast.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
I don't remember this part in the manga because I was already sick of the constant running to find Doflamingo at this point, but probably because they were dead from being chopped into a million pieces so many times. Dunno though. All the filler and stillframes killed my brain.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Trafalgar Law already said that this last 13 years of his life were meant to destroy Doflamingo! So is alright to assume that he left at least 13 years ago.

Also Trafalgar Law said that he never went to Dressrossa because is Doflamingo country. We know that Doflamingo conquered Dressrossa 10 years ago, the first time we see Sugar. So at that time Law was already not with Doflamingo.

You guys are absolutely right, and I was wrong. I forgot that Law left when he was still a child.

Nyaomix wrote:
No more Neo-Japang episodes please, they were worse than anything else.

Well, I found them better than the Rainbow Mist arc or that arc with the dream-stealing conch.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
This thread is so full of untagged spoilers I kind of feel bad for the anime only crowd. Glad I read the manga. Perhaps it can be noted that not every arc has to follow defeat the badguy/save town or country/gain a new nakama. Several arcs in this series do exactly that and Dressrosa is no different. I would be disappointed not to see a new nakama, but I vaguely remember Oda saying somewhere that there would be a new one after it (I cannot provide reference, sorry).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Finally found someone that is up to date on One Piece to review it that's great.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Non-Spoilers

It is a slight tragedy, I feel, how Rebecca is handled in this arc. She seems to waver between toughness and weakness. It is fair, I suppose, that her enemies are so incredible... however...

... is it just me, or is Rebecca like the perfect model for a super-villain? Trained in martial arts. Her father has this "explosive" rage that made him kill his enemies. Betrayed by her country, and abandoned. If one of her figures were to perish, be it the toy soldier or the King, I think she'd trigger a blood-lust she didn't know she had - and then condemn EVERYTHING.

It would be very interesting from a story stand-point - if only because this would be the first villain that the Strawhats failed to save. It would be a very personal connection for the crew members, on a different level than some of the superheros.

Vivi seemed to have more influence on the story than Rebecca, however, which is tragic because there's hardly a difference between them.

I, would also love for Doflamingo to at some point condemn the Strawhats and Law for killing precious members of his family on Punk Hazard. Because then it would sort of create a villain who has a precious crew-family but on the side of evil.

Although, I suspect either of these two points will be too dark for the series. Although, I didn't think Oda was going to kill Ace...until he...you know...killed Ace.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
Well, back in the East Blue, you could see Arlong freaking out each time one of his crewmates was defeated in battle. I'd bet he has some sort of twisted version of the same camaraderie Luffy has with his crewmates.
ViscontPenRoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
It feels like Oda often struggles to include all nine crewmembers in a story arc (in Dressrosa, he basically says to hell with it and sends half the crew off to the next island early, and we haven't heard from them since.) Adding another member wouldn't really help with this. I think what's more likely is that Luffy will begin working more closely with other crews, and allies like Bartolmeo and Law will eventually help him build a fleet similar to what Whitebeard had.

Hopefully there won't become common that half the crew is gone for most of the arc because I know each member has fans and it is likely it will take a long time with the other half of the crew, occasionally going "if only we had Luffy." If Luffy does go more on the fleet front, that will definitely not help with keeping track of people spoiler[ and we still haven't seen Law's back story in the Anime, and I'm guessing we'd have to do the same for a lot of the leaders ].

Back to the episode pacing problem, there is a bit of a bind. If they add more filler, potentially lower ratings and some annoyed fans. They could take a break, but that would also anger people and I suspect that wouldn't be good for business. Now I do hope there is a condensed One Piece series at some point so that if people are interested they don't have to watch 500+ episodes in order to know the story.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball Kai gives me hopes that alot of these shows will have a better version some time in the future. The filler laden versions make characters more engaging sometimes, but it would be nice to have a show I could watch more than once. These episodes have almost no replay value, and One Piece has at times been a show I enjoyed rewatching while waiting for the next episode.

Well, at least my question about the nutcrackers was resolved. Going through one attack from almost every current fighter was quite exhausting, surprised the king is still in it.

The main crew member I miss right now is Brook. Good thing Robin is being focused on for this really bloated arc, she has been one of the main reasons I keep watching the anime. At least in punk hazard they switched around a good deal. Seems we won`t hear from the other half of the crew till Doflamingo is beaten.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
I, would also love for Doflamingo to at some point condemn the Strawhats and Law for killing precious members of his family on Punk Hazard. Because then it would sort of create a villain who has a precious crew-family but on the side of evil.

To be fair to Luffy's crew, the strawhats didn't kill anyone. (in fact, Zoro went to great lengths to NOT kill Monet) It was actually Caesar (albeit inadvertently) that killed Monet (who was about to kill everyone else, but they didn't know that). Now, granted, Law killed Vergo, but Law isn't in Luffy's crew. (Law is also guns blazing to kill Doflamingo, so I dunno that he'd be all that torn up about being blamed for killing Vergo)

Other than those two, I don't THINK any Doffy pirates are DEAD, but I could be wrong, either way I'm all but certain that the strawhat pirates didn't KILL any of them.

Random note that always bugs me when I think of it. Does anyone else find it laughable that Doflamingo put a price on the heads of all the people that made him angry and the price on Luffy (300 million) was LESS than the price Luffy ALREADY had on his head from the navy?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
Only reading the manga of this because of the increasingly disappointing level of actual animation in the anime, but Bellamy and an episode with action seems like a good place to start back up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 49