• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:

This is absolutely my favourite part about One Piece. Unlike other Shonen series like DBZ or Bleach, where everything is determined by big, flashy attacks or arbitrary power levels, One Piece prides itself on the fact that no one ever truly gets 'stronger' in a physical sense, but Devil Fruit users get better though creativity and often little else. Just look at Luffy's fight with Crocodile. They realised he uses sand, and gets weaker with water, so Luffy got a giant barrel of it, and when he couldn't use that, he used his own blood instead. Gears 2-4 are also the product of sheer creativity, not months of training. Luffy had that down pat in like 2 nights, just because he had an idea to do it. It's why Logia users were so OP early on, but less so now. They never got creative because they never needed to, so by the time they hit the New World, everyone is ready for them with Haki.

Heh, I was going to say that there ARE characters who get stronger and faster, but then you mentioned specifically Devil Fruit users, whereas I was thinking of people like Zoro and Sanji. Zoan users, however, DO have to get stronger, as their power in animal form is proportional to their power in their normal forms. (There are exceptions, like Chopper and Jack, however.) It's just that, except for Chopper, Zoan users don't really stay in the narrative long enough to demonstrate improvement through training. Most notably, Haki is something that can be learned by anyone but relatively few people commit to it.

There IS training in control of one's Devil Fruit powers though. It's one thing to think of a use for the powers, but it's another thing completely to learn how to execute it right. In Luffy's flashback, for instance, you see Luffy practicing on aiming his stretchy punches to go where he wants them to go, and during the timeskip, Law had been focusing on making his Op-Op radius larger. (In a way, this is also an inversion of what you normally see in fiction, in which characters who gain powers are instantly able to use them proficiently.) Otherwise, you get characters like Kanjuro, who has a very strong ability (to make his paintings come to life) but he never bothered learning to draw better and so this ability remains weak and ineffective; or Foxy, whose Slow-Slow powers should be much more powerful than he makes it seem because he prefers to rely on booby traps than think about what he can use his Slow-Slow Beams on.

Logia users are an interesting case in that it seems like they find their ceiling pretty quickly and have a hard time improving. However, they CAN improve and find more creative uses of their powers, like what happened with Eneru after he realized he couldn't hurt Luffy through electricity and also when Wyper figured out a way around everything Eneru can do and hit him with a Reject Dial. Caesar fights incredibly strategically for a Logia user too (in contrast to Monet, who mostly just throws her show powers around). I personally also find it interesting that at this point in the series, Logia users are on pretty equal ground with Paramecia/Paramythia users due to the New World being so full of Haki users, such as with the aforementioned Caesar, a Logia user, answering to Doflamingo, a Paramecia/Paramythia user.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
hold on. i thought do flamingo was a logia type? not the same type as luffy. at least that is how it was assumed to be during the paramount war and ceaser punk arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
hold on. i thought do flamingo was a logia type? not the same type as luffy. at least that is how it was assumed to be during the paramount war and ceaser punk arc.

No, Doflamingo is not a Logia type. He controls string; he doesn't turn into it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
well in the manga. especially during his short fight with smoker , he kinda did though briefly, though there were zero signs of that in the anime.

and there were parts in the dressrossa arc where when they attacked him , his entire body become string. so unless that was part of the "awakening" that some devil fruits have, there are some people especially new to the series will assume his powers are logia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
well in the manga. especially during his short fight with smoker , he kinda did though briefly, though there were zero signs of that in the anime.

and there were parts in the dressrossa arc where when they attacked him , his entire body become string. so unless that was part of the "awakening" that some devil fruits have, there are some people especially new to the series will assume his powers are logia.

Doflamingo has a technique in which he creates a clone of himself by amassing a large amount of string and remotely controlling it like a marionette. You can see it here and there when Luffy fights Doflamingo, using the duplicate in tandem with himself.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
i must have missed that. its not like he called this cloning tech with a name like tien's multi clone technique so probably anyone who wasnt paying attention could have easily mistaken his powers for a logia.

the only tech i do know other than the birdcage was the everwhite technique which is an "awakened" ability where according to those wiki websites are only in some zoan and logia types like eneru as well as minatauros and the jail beasts from impel down which had "awakened zoan type powers" .

the author definitely needs to clarify when it comes to devil fruit types since some of those abilites could be mistaken for a logia when in fact its a paramythia type. i would have to suspect that akainu lava powers are also paramythia and not logia as well right? i assumed he might have since aokiji and kizaru's powers are logia.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Apparenlty sometimes the anime of One Piece tones down Violence for broadcast but puts it back in during home release, so me might see the Swollen face then.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Apparenlty sometimes the anime of One Piece tones down Violence for broadcast but puts it back in during home release, so me might see the Swollen face then.

To my knowledge they've only done that when it was 'too soon' regarding recent events. Scenes in Thriller Bark and Dressrosa were toned down for broadcast because of respective stabbing and beheading tragedies that happened around that time. Almost everything else is untouched from TV --> video.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, Sam, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you about this being one of the worst episodes of the arc from a visual perspective. In general, this arc is probably the most on-model and consistent the characters have looked post time-skip.
I won't post screenshots since you've already watched the episode, but the Chief Animation Director has extensively re-drawn the faces and proportions to stick to that consistency.
Not only that but the animation director for this episode, Isamu Takara, is one of the better new key animators to work on the anime.
The scenes with Yonji and Sanji in the Clone Chamber (came up with that one on the spot) were particularly well-directed and were almost a panel-for-panel recreation of the same sequence in the manga.
The fact that this wasn't an action-heavy episode most likely helped.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
i must have missed that. its not like he called this cloning tech with a name like tien's multi clone technique so probably anyone who wasnt paying attention could have easily mistaken his powers for a logia.

the only tech i do know other than the birdcage was the everwhite technique which is an "awakened" ability where according to those wiki websites are only in some zoan and logia types like eneru as well as minatauros and the jail beasts from impel down which had "awakened zoan type powers" .

the author definitely needs to clarify when it comes to devil fruit types since some of those abilites could be mistaken for a logia when in fact its a paramythia type. i would have to suspect that akainu lava powers are also paramythia and not logia as well right? i assumed he might have since aokiji and kizaru's powers are logia.

I don't know what wikis you looked up, but while awakening is still a mostly unknown part of the devil fruits, nothing has said it's exclusive to only certain types. In fact I'm pretty sure the only awakened logia devil fruit user is a non-canon movie villain, and his movie came out after the Dressrosa arc.

And Akainu's power is logia. Logias are defined by being able to create and become a certain element, and Akainu's been able to turn his own body into magma. Doflamingo is able to create string body out of his body and can even create string from around him thanks to his awakening, but he can't turn his own body into string. Another character who some incorrectly thought was a logia user is Pica, who can assimilate with stone, turning into it and manipulating it, but he can't make stone or turn himself into stone on his own, he needs already existing stone for his powers to work.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

I don't know what wikis you looked up, but while awakening is still a mostly unknown part of the devil fruits, nothing has said it's exclusive to only certain types. In fact I'm pretty sure the only awakened logia devil fruit user is a non-canon movie villain, and his movie came out after the Dressrosa arc.

And Akainu's power is logia. Logias are defined by being able to create and become a certain element, and Akainu's been able to turn his own body into magma. Doflamingo is able to create string body out of his body and can even create string from around him thanks to his awakening, but he can't turn his own body into string. Another character who some incorrectly thought was a logia user is Pica, who can assimilate with stone, turning into it and manipulating it, but he can't make stone or turn himself into stone on his own, he needs already existing stone for his powers to work.

WAIT SERIOUSLY???

I mean considering on how he used his powers in the anime & manga, i TOO was also one of those fans that assumed that Pica was a logia type. that was a surprise.

though I had a suspicion that akainu was a logia.

also I don't "completely" trust wikis. they have a nasty habit of being incorrect. so unless there is a wiki that is an OFFICIAL WIKI & IS SANCTIONED BY EITHER TOEI OR THE AUTHOR HIMSELF OR BOTH, I tend to hold and & all infos from wiki sites with a massive grain of salt.

regardless, sanji's past more or less explains why he swore to himself that he will never kick a woman during the enies lobby arc. with a mother and sister who were the only ones that treated him like a family and not like absolute crap, its makes sense. though its a mood point that it also turned him into a womanizing pervert. not to mention that he wants to be the polar opposite of his dad.

AND speaking of which, I will have to give it up to the user animalia555 when it comes to the THING from noragami . HOWEVER after this ep, judge would probably blow EVEN HIM out of the water. I mean seriously. I was positive that judge would never be in the same category as worst father ever and pale in comparison to FMA's tucker, boku no hero academia's endeavor, radukai kishi no cavalry's kurogane & ESPECIALLY EVA's gendo ikari , but GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY THAT JUDGE IS SUCH A BASTARD!!!

i mean if roger was alive, he definitely wouldnt have treated ace like THAT! Hell , even dragon who was pretty much a no show in luffy's life at least showed some kind of affection to his son (in private at least) whenever he succeeds at something.

if there is two people that should definitely die in this arc its that prick and big mom cause both of them absolutely effed up parents.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
regardless, sanji's past more or less explains why he swore to himself that he will never kick a woman during the enies lobby arc. with a mother and sister who were the only ones that treated him like a family and not like absolute crap, its makes sense. though its a mood point that it also turned him into a womanizing pervert. not to mention that he wants to be the polar opposite of his dad.

I was going to point this out last week until I remembered it hadn't been covered yet in the anime, but as we see in this week's episode Sanji got his chivalry explicitly from Zeff.

The womanizing pervert thing, though, isn't from Zeff. Sanji's probably just perverted by nature. There doesn't always have to be some root cause that's an explanation for someone's personality trait.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
I've always figured if they got rid of that little post recap bit they would just stretch out the filler bits. I cant say i hate it....just yet. In the past toei has been terrible about these bits,or i guess to be accurate it was hit and miss,far more than misses though. For now it seems like they have gotten better at it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
At the very least, having it as two separate episodes allows us to distinguish in our ratings between a largely pointless episode and a great one, rather than having to split the difference. It would have better not to have the former, but what's done is done.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
At the very least, having it as two separate episodes allows us to distinguish in our ratings between a largely pointless episode and a great one, rather than having to split the difference. It would have better not to have the former, but what's done is done.

Yeah, 807 was pretty much a waste of 20 minutes. What followed, though...well, it seems like it only happens every hundred episodes at this point, but once in a long while, Toei reminds me what they're capable of if they actually bother to try. That whole fight was note-perfect, and flashing all the way back to the very first ending song was an inspired touch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 49