• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukenago

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Last episode was amazing, I don't read manga but manga readers seem to agree it was adapted well this week, and it was nice to see Gol D Roger again, especially with his new VA! And, hope the animation stays on this level for the most part.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
lukenago wrote:
Last episode was amazing, I don't read manga but manga readers seem to agree it was adapted well this week, and it was nice to see Gol D Roger again, especially with his new VA! And, hope the animation stays on this level for the most part.

wait he got a new VA????

why change the VA?? chikao was fine as roger. unless he retired from the industry, it definitely doesn't make sense at all!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
lukenago wrote:

wait he got a new VA????

why change the VA?? chikao was fine as roger. unless he retired from the industry, it definitely doesn't make sense at all!!!!!!!

He’s no longer with us since 3 years ago.
Erza Farron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
I just saw the episode and it's nice to see you again in flashback, Gol D.Roger and Rayleigh.
Pedro this sacrifice to save the Straw Hats by killing the man-candy is moving and sad. How now, Luffy and the others are going to cope with Big Mom, Katakuri (1 Billion Berry) and the Big Mom Army ?
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Phenomenal beginning to Luffy vs. Katakuri so far imo.
It's so good to see familiar animators working on this fight.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
lukenago wrote:

wait he got a new VA????

He’s no longer with us since 3 years ago.

wait he died? but from what?

its not like he had an illness or something that have been plaguing him for a long time which is what happened when sengouku's VA & blackbeard's VA passed away a year ago!

hell, there was zero signs that there was anything wrong at all with him!? while it is definitely tragic to lose another talented VA , it definitely dont add up though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
^Heart Failure apparently. He was 85.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

wait he died? but from what?

its not like he had an illness or something that have been plaguing him for a long time which is what happened when sengouku's VA & blackbeard's VA passed away a year ago!

hell, there was zero signs that there was anything wrong at all with him!? while it is definitely tragic to lose another talented VA , it definitely dont add up though.

You must have missed when ANN covered this: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-16/voice-actor-chikao-ohtsuka-passes-away/.83348
Anime_fan_88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys Smile

I asked where I can discuss and ask questions about the One Piece anime

series, and I was directed here.

Nice to meet you Smile

Here's my question:

In the Skypiea arc, Enel says he's "god", is that true ?

And if so, does he mean he's A god, like Thor from the Marvel comic book

franchise or does he mean he's the God, the one that Muslims and

Christians pray to ?

P.S: I asked this question on other forums, but I thought I should ask here as well.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, "God" is just a title in Skypedia. Gonfal was "God" prior to having it taken from him by Enel. Also, in Japan, "god" (kami) usually just means "powerful being", and can be applied to an array of supernatural creatures. At least, that's my understanding of it.

So, no, Enel is not God. He's a guy who ate a fruit that gives him lightening powers, and he has very well-developed Observation Haki -- it's something like what the little girl had in that arc, and what Koby later developed during the Battle of Marineford. He's not literally a god.
laddy-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
hey there. I appreciate the reviews, but feel that they are lacking in emotional (first time view?) analysis. of course it is important to note when the anime is adapting things slowly, or adds in filler fights, and to what effect all of this is, but how could you not mention how much of an underdog Luffy still iss in this battle. I mean, it's obvious, but the anime is really setting a crazy contrast between Luffy and Katakuri. Luffy hasn't succeeded at anything yet, he has not proven himself to have ANYTHING but guts, and is this episode is seen surviving by acting like a monkey, or basically unsightly/uncool.
Katakuri on the other side is the definition of perfection. THE ULTIMATE COOL GUY. there is no reason to dislike the guy other than him being the OP enemy of Luffy. I have to say that as an audience member I feel almost as angry as Katakuri that Luffy has not done anything cool to prove he is still in the fight. It will probably come next episode, but still.. basicl YOU SHOULD TALK MORE ABOUT THE FIGHT DYNAMICS- ok? bye
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
This is the big turning point in this fight I've been waiting to see adapted and it didn't disappoint. In fact, it exceeded my expectations. The only reason it took a while to reach it (5 episodes) is because of the glacial pacing. However, that hasn't affected my enjoyment of the fight in the past few episodes. The series director himself directed this episode.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
This is the big turning point in this fight I've been waiting to see adapted and it didn't disappoint. In fact, it exceeded my expectations. The only reason it took a while to reach it (5 episodes) is because of the glacial pacing. However, that hasn't affected my enjoyment of the fight in the past few episodes. The series director himself directed this episode.

though the real thing is how will this settle out the two star crossed lovers since the manga in a way kinda messed things up in more ways than one!? will they be faithful in some ways or alter it to please the fanbase that wasnt too happy!? at least it will be A HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN........
Quote:
There's a lot going on with potential metaphors between Katakuri's true self and the tough guy act he puts on for others, not the least of which is brought home by the whole scene being jokingly framed as if Luffy had just walked in on him masturbating.

thanks a freaking lot for getting that disturbing concept in my head. its pretty clear that the author have READ WAYYYYYYYYY ONE TOO MANY YAOI ERO COMIKET DOUJINS!!!!! Rolling Eyes Exclamation
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I don't even understand half of Sam's criticisms anymore. The anime adaptation has no shortage of issues even at the best of times, but this last episode felt perfectly serviceable to me, and Praline's song was fantastic. Luffy stumbling right onto the doorstep of the arc's rampaging archenemy while unable to fight back seems like more than enough of a tension-builder.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I feel like I don't even understand half of Sam's criticisms anymore. The anime adaptation has no shortage of issues even at the best of times, but this last episode felt perfectly serviceable to me, and Praline's song was fantastic. Luffy stumbling right onto the doorstep of the arc's rampaging archenemy while unable to fight back seems like more than enough of a tension-builder.

It's more about how the Katakuri fight is laid out, where it takes several episodes for granular progress to be made and then resets to square one on a whim. I don't think it's in a great position to then take a break/detour that will ultimately have little impact on the fight once it resumes. Nuts Island is more of a change of scenery while Luffy recharges his batteries than it is story progression in and of itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 49