• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:16 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
hold on!?

wasnt the shanks recap ep supposed to be 1031 (since like 1029 & 1030 its tie in to the red arc) and this new episode aupposed to be 1032!?

on the official toei youtube website, thats how they have the preview videos numbered! this week as 1032 & last week as 1031!

I believe they ended up making the Shanks recap into SP4.

Which is probably for the best. Of the three episodes, that one has the least relevance.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Trigun reference of Sanji carrying Zoro like Nicholas D. Wolfwood in episode 1032, they even did a riff on the Trigun theme music.

https://www.deviantart.com/r7ll/art/Nicholas-D-Wolfwood-34226147
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:40 am Reply with quote
I wish they'd drop the obsession with hyper-slow pacing just for the arc-culminating fights. Luffy v Kaido has been agonizing.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree, I think other shonen series have handled it much better, just have three episodes focusing on one group, then three on the next and so on telling mini stories within the larger battle. Dividing a 20 minute episode up to cover 4 or more concurrent storylines really doesnt work.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Toei do be going Ufotable with the budget and quality as of late One Piece content.
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:06 am Reply with quote
At this point, I feel sad/sorry that Kikunojo still can't spoiler[kill/beat Kurozumi Kanjuro]
I really hope "spoiler[she doesn't die.]"

At the other hand, the hate parameter for Kurozumi Kanjuro is growing each episode.
I think seeing him being defeated is currently more important then Kaidou. (My own opinion)

Also, it's taking to long, like someone above me said.
They keep changing character/battle.
Would be better if they focus on one or team battles. Instead of changing all the time.

Nami/Usopp battle is funny and entertaining.
Can't wait for Robin to defeat that spoiler[huge spider lady.]
Etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Philville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
While I don't really watch the anime for One Piece as I'm too spoiled by seasonal anime pacing and kinda just prefer reading the manga, nice to see it on the review lineup for those who want to see it. I'll give this episode a watch when I get the chance to see if it really looks as good as you say but otherwise while we may be near the end of the arc there's still quite a ways away to go til it ends in the anime.

I'm in the same boat. I'm only really interested in checking out standout episodes from an animation perspective, because I haven't been regularly invested in the other aspects of the anime and it just feels like it's too late in the game to try and catch up (so I'm sticking to the manga instead). Having said that I was wondering if there's a general consensus about the best animated episodes? I'm not usually a fan of Top 10 lists (probably more like Top 100 in this case) but if there's one place to ask for the opinion of longtime fans on the most impressively animated episodes or scenes then I could probably do worse than to ask here.

danpmss wrote:
Toei do be going Ufotable with the budget and quality as of late One Piece content.

Hmm, maybe I should start there then...
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
im surprised the reviewer didn't give ANY mention concerning the lore implications concerning the battle between who who and jimbei!

i mean spoiler[ shanks stealing the gum gum fruit from the govt and then give it to straw hat ] have serious consquenes lorewise! it more or less gives out the one question by the end of it all! WHY?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:35 am Reply with quote
Ahh yes, finally we have reached the episode when Robin goes from the Mother of the Strawhats crew...to Mommy...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:35 am Reply with quote
Considering how long it has been since Robin got a big action scene, I'm glad the anime did it justice.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yamato has been consistently one of the most engaging and interesting characters in the entire Wano arc and gets a lot of shine any time the anime adapts parts of the story addressing him.

Ummmm So we just gonna call Yamato a "him" despite the obvious pair of you-know-what's? mmm alrighty then. You know she's a she and Oda is clear she is a she. Let's not be so silly shall we? Mkay Thanks.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:23 pm Reply with quote
animemaster1 wrote:
Quote:
Yamato has been consistently one of the most engaging and interesting characters in the entire Wano arc and gets a lot of shine any time the anime adapts parts of the story addressing him.

Ummmm So we just gonna call Yamato a "him" despite the obvious pair of you-know-what's? mmm alrighty then. You know she's a she and Oda is clear she is a she. Let's not be so silly shall we? Mkay Thanks.

Literally in universe Yamato goes by "he", so why wouldn't the review do so?
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:15 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
animemaster1 wrote:
Quote:

Literally in universe Yamato goes by "he", so why wouldn't the review do so?

well i cant deny the other guy's frustration! i mean ep 992 more or less call her kaido's daughter and the self proclaimed kozuki oden! its not like the manga revealed her as a transgender ala bon clay or iva ivankov so its kinda understandable!

whether or not this remains that way is unknown! but knowing oda, i highly doubt this will be the last we hear about the subject concerning yamato's gender!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
onpufan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:17 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
whether or not this remains that way is unknown! but knowing oda, i highly doubt this will be the last we hear about the subject concerning yamato's gender!

The whole Yamato's gender discussion is almost 3 years old at this point since the manga covered this back in 2020. I don't know if it's actually considered a spoiler or not for anime watchers so just in case spoiler[the current official databook, merchandise, and promotional works all refer to Yamato as female]

English is a very rigidly gendered language compared to Japanese so it's harder to really talk about someone without using masculine or feminine words and words with no flexibility with them. Yamato uses boku to refer to herself in the same way Big Mom uses ore or Kiku uses sessha. All are generally used by men but archetypes like bokkuko and orekko exist that have female characters refer to themselves with male pronouns. I've never seen anyone debate Big Mom's gender though now that I think about it and in Japan this isn't even a discussion I see at all so I think it's just confusing language barrier stuff that throws people off in the English speaking fandom.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:01 am Reply with quote
I don't watch many One Piece episodes and mainly stick to the films when they receive a cinema release and some of the TV specials. I have to hand it to the crew with ep.1049 though. Not only were the action scenes as good as those of the recent OP films but potentially better (the last team-up attack from Luffy and Yamato against Kaidō was spectacular). The flashback to Yamato's youth, remembering Ace, the Wano samurai in the cave and the officer of the Beast Pirates who gave her onigiri when she was starving were all handled well with the music being just right.

I'm looking forward to the episode when Luffy experiences his awakening. That's going to be on another level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 49