• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah, all right then. I never read the DBZ manga all the way, so I didn't know it actually got that slow.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Actually it's just that Oda didn't stretch this out over as many chapters as Toriyama did. In terms of chapter-to-episode ratio, One Piece is actually slower than DBZ. But between Dragon Ball's chapters being shorter and Toriyama spending a lot of page space just drawing out every individual move the fighters make... you could read the average chapter of Goku and Freeza's fight in thirty seconds and at most there might be one thing happening to further the plot.

Well, that helps explaining Dragon Ball Z's pacing. As for One Piece, while it is true that each chapter contains quite a few story elements, I think that Toei Animation's staff due deserves some credit for managing to adapt the chapters in a relatively consistent pace while not overtaking the manga (or getting any closer than they already are).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
the sad thing is that after the donflamingo fight there hasn't been any significant fights in the manga which means we're in for a loooooong period of rather mediocre stuff happening. they might try and stuff another filler arc in there.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Rather mediocre stuff? I tend to enjoy the world-building a lot more than the fighting, personally.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I also like the character-based stuff that isn't action. I mean, the tension between Usopp and Luffy during the Water Seven story made for some of the best storytelling in the series.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
the sad thing is that after the donflamingo fight there hasn't been any significant fights in the manga which means we're in for a loooooong period of rather mediocre stuff happening. they might try and stuff another filler arc in there.

I don't really know how anyone could consider what has happened after Dressrossa 'mediocre'. But I've always been watching/reading One Piece for the story, and not fighting.

But this is the ANIME topic, so manga discussions beyond where the anime is are not appropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
ep 733,

The last couple of minutes were really good but as usual the episode felt really stretched out. I think the fact that these latest chapters are still fresh in my memory makes it more difficult to enjoy the anime.

even during the final attack scene, if I recall right luffy completely smashed Don Flamingo's attack instantly, no back and forth pushing, his king kong punch was just way more powerful.

These moments when you feel the pain that DBZ manga fans must have been feeling as they watched the anime heh
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
even during the final attack scene, if I recall right luffy completely smashed Don Flamingo's attack instantly, no back and forth pushing, his king kong punch was just way more powerful.

I pretty much agree on this one. They did the same thing when Luffy defeated Ceasar with his Grizzly Magnum. In the manga, he just completely wrecks Ceasar with it, but in the anime they just had to turn it into a power struggle where Luffy had to overpower Ceasar after a few minutes of pushing back and forth against each other. I realize that they're doing it to fill time and attempt to add a bit of drama, but I also think it's stupid because all it does is downplay Luffy as a whole and make him look weaker than he actually he is. Of course as you mentioned, they did the same thing here with Luffy and Doflamingo. There were also definitely some shoddy looking parts for this being such an important episode. I also disliked how they handled Luffy going into Gear Fourth and breaking out of Doflamingo's Parasite. In the manga, they did a great job making it look like he explosively transforms and breaks free, where as with the anime they had to pointless draw it out by recycling footage of him transforming and then a poorly drawn scene of him breaking the strings. That scene was way better in the manga and seeing the anime version of it left me disappointed.

The anime is actually how I got into One Piece, but these days for all the aforementioned reasons and the way they're trying to stretch things out, I pretty much just stick to the manga these days and check out the bits and pieces I want to see animated, or hear the voices for new characters.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
I literally went and watched the last two minutes of the episode, since I myself got sick with the pacing of EVERY episode. So...that's it?

That's all you got for the most succeeding show since Dragon Ball? In the fight that you've been hyping since, like, Doflamingo ever showed up? In which there is a new transformation AND technique for the protagonist?

I know that TOEI has been dragging Dressrosa in almost 15 minutes episodes with a slow as hell adaptation in order to not catch up, but at some point you kinda gotta make the wait rewarding. In the manga I remember clearly (and checked to be sure) that Luffy literally blasted Doflamingo's ass so hard he didn't even get to struggle, hell, it's so fast you don't even see it making contact, and sure as hell nobody was chanting "Luffy!" like the most possible annoying shonen trope ever. And damn, Doflamingo's fall was epic as all hell, not even that looked cool.

There are plenty of things you can fill the episode with and don't kill the moment in the try. Not even the coolest of OST or twenty seconds of stellar animation (like yah, I do agree that at one point they tried for it to look good) can save something when you really don't care about it.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I know that TOEI has been dragging Dressrosa in almost 15 minutes episodes with a slow as hell adaptation in order to not catch up, but at some point you kinda gotta make the wait rewarding. In the manga I remember clearly (and checked to be sure) that Luffy literally blasted Doflamingo's ass so hard he didn't even get to struggle, hell, it's so fast you don't even see it making contact, and sure as hell nobody was chanting "Luffy!" like the most possible annoying shonen trope ever. And damn, Doflamingo's fall was epic as all hell, not even that looked cool.

While I'm not as annoyed as you are because this was still better than the last two arc-endings, (Caesar stopping Luffy's Grizzly Magnum with his hands was nothing short of absurd, and Super Saiyan Hody was seriously the most insultingly awful case of missing the point that I think Toei has ever done) I will agree that, yeah, this really was not the right place to insert filler. This is meant to be the big moment where Luffy pulls out his absolute strongest move and utterly destroys Doflamingo once and for all... But because they added that pointless struggle here but not for any of Luffy's previous Gear Fourth moves, King Kong Gun actually comes off as weaker than all the other moves we've seen him use in this form.

...And I suppose I should just ask, would it be okay if I shared a 49-second video-clip here featuring my own edit of the scene? I tried to cut out all the excessive padding and the ridiculous mid-air push-o-war to make it more true to the manga, and I'm quite happy with how it turned out, but I'm not sure if this is within bounds of what I'd be allowed to do...
sharkjack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:

Actually it's just that Oda didn't stretch this out over as many chapters as Toriyama did. In terms of chapter-to-episode ratio, One Piece is actually slower than DBZ. But between Dragon Ball's chapters being shorter and Toriyama spending a lot of page space just drawing out every individual move the fighters make... you could read the average chapter of Goku and Freeza's fight in thirty seconds and at most there might be one thing happening to further the plot.

Are we reading the same manga? Sure, the number of pages per chapter is shorter and has fewer panels per page, but it takes 10 chapters from Goku going super saiyan to Namek exploding for reals, which includes everything from the back and forths between Freeza and Goku, to the shock over the planets destruction, to the plan to save everyone with the multiple dragon ball wishes.

Like in chapter 127 (spoiler just to be sure)spoiler[(the chapter after Freeza did his planet destruction in 5 minutes attack) alone, Freeza powers up to full 100%, King Kai scolds Goku for not finishing Freeza off now that he has the chance, but Goku as a super saiyan needs to have Freeza at 100%, showing how his personality has been altered by the transformation and rage. Gohan finds and saves Bulma from falling down a breaking rock formation, King kai hatches his plan with Kami, exploiting the differences between the rules and technicalities over what constitues a natural death, Freeza at full power pummels Goku, who taunts him over that better not being all he has, and the Earths dragon is summoned.]

Now, sure. Far less is going at once in dragon ball in general, but this is the climactic final battle, and it puts Goku right at the center. It's allowed to revel and detail Goku's feelings.

You know, I really don't get why they add stuff like this to the fights. For most fighting, its fine, but this is like the fourth time the anime has really dropped the ball in trying to convey what the original scene was showing by adding additional animation. As people mentioned before, they did the same with Hordy and Caesar

I recently read the attack on the bridge in Enies lobbies, where all the captains come in and WOW, that was a completely different experience. The anime version infuriated me for making captains look like complete chumps, with Ussop being able to take down multiple at a time. In the anime, he can' t hit them because they're moving too fast, with only Robin and Nami doing damage and Zoro doing his best just to hold off everyone from killing Sogeking. It's clear they're being overpowered and will eventually lose, while in the anime it felt like they cleared a whole bunch of captains out before jumping down.

I enjoyed the manga version so much more. It's super tense. The anime is just bland.

You know, I really don't get why they can't just turn this into a 10 minute show. If they need to fill the whole block can't they just put up another 10 minute show? That way, they can put in exactly the same amount of animation, but actually give this thing the pacing it deserves. It would make me much more interested in owning the show. I know that isn't the main motivation behind making the show, what with it being like a commercial for the manga, but wouldn't a 10 minute show of superior overall quality be basically equally as effective? They could also advertise twice the number of shows. Seems like a win-win-win to me.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
What Fujitora did is really honourable. He is slowly becoming my favourite admiral. They can't hide how corrupted the system is since fujitora exposed them. This only confirms how important the reverie will be.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
sharkjack wrote:
You know, I really don't get why they can't just turn this into a 10 minute show. If they need to fill the whole block can't they just put up another 10 minute show?

I had the same idea a while back, and really wish they would do this. They could stitch the respective parts together for the BD release later.

It's interesting to read how the final fights played out in the original. I'll add to this that having not read the manga--even after the King Kong gun, even after the threads disappeared--I wasn't 100% sure whether Doflamingo was actually defeated or not. It sounds like the manga version is a one-sided smackdown that leaves no doubt.

I personally think a long stretch of world-building and character-building is desperately needed at this point. The "infodump" episode (736) following the coda in Dressrosa is the most compelling thing I've seen in this show in ages. I don't know who half these characters are, but the episode does a good job of showing how Luffy and Law's (and Fujitora's) actions have made waves that reach far beyond Dressrosa. Some of this was expected, since it was Law's plan from the outset, but other things were not. Also, this episode didn't feel like it was wasting any time, either.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
sharkjack wrote:
You know, I really don't get why they can't just turn this into a 10 minute show. If they need to fill the whole block can't they just put up another 10 minute show?

I had the same idea a while back, and really wish they would do this. They could stitch the respective parts together for the BD release later.

As long as One Piece continues to be one of the top rated animated shows in Japan (consistently finding itself in the number two spot) they'll never see its format as a problem. The ad time during the episode is probably pretty lucrative for them, too.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

From week to week the fandom is freaking out thanks to all the reveals and hype saying Oda wasn't this great in a long time and here we have someone saying it's mediocore lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 49