• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for a lengthy filler arc out of this, frankly, since there's not really going to be any space for one with the crew separated, but it looks like this is going to wrap up next week. Sigh. It's like Toei WANTS the show to suck. I don't even understand it. They could have easily stretched a full episode out of each individual reaction from the Worst Generation groups, too, but no. God forbid. At this point, the only hope for filler is going to be some random side adventure the way to pick up the Sunny crew with spoiler[the Barto fanboy crew, or else some kind of filler nonsense once they get to the island, which I can't imagine would be good, interesting, or wanted.]

Seriously, why do we have to HOPE for filler with this show?

At this point, I'd take something stupid, like a Naruto-esque Luffy dream filler arc.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
When will some fans understand being off model is not always a bad thing?

I really enjoyed this episode I don't know what were u expecting. They covered things that Oda did not have the time to do so in the manga. some flashbacks are necessary when there are some casual viewers that don't watch the show every week and know every detail about the show. Sabo flashback episodes were over 200 episodes ago and I feel the flashbacks were nicely used in this episode
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
A lot of fans don't seem to realize this filler is based on the One Piece Episode of Sabo special from last year. I would have thought more people would have seen that to make the connection, but I guess not.

As for potential filler arcs, expect the next big one to be in July to promote One Piece Film Gold. They almost always do a special tie-in arc to promote the movies.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LokiReed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I gotta say i'm a little pissed at the writing for this chapter. (episode 737). spoiler[I was waiting so long to see why Sabo couldn't come to help Ace in the war of the best. And then we get this crap. he had amnesia for what? 17 years? wow, really? That's lazy writing if I ever saw it. It's like if you can't figure out a reason for why a character did what they did in an anime or manga, the common placeholder is them having amnesia. It couldn't have been something along the lines of him being on the other side of the world in the midst of an important battle, and if he left there would be dramatic changes in the tides of war that the revolutionary army's involved in?? Or something like that?? AND on top of it being a better reason, it would build on his character infinitely more, seeing as how he would blame himself, for not having left anyways, even though many more lives would have been saved because of him staying. AND it would make sense! I'm just very disappointed, Oda is a much better writer than this, and every time I see a character having amnesia to explain something, just naturally makes me cringe.]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
In the real world, when people get amnesia, more often than not they never fully recover their memories. To not regain them back for so long is not unrealistic.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Could be worse. If Sabo were a girl, he'd end up afflicted with mysterious anime girl wasting disease, and then where would we be? [/quote]
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
So it appears that the anime producers love Sabo SO MUCH that they'll give an entire episode higher production values so they can nail a scene with him that I forgot was even in the manga? Great, if only you could have that respect for characters that are actually interesting like the Strawhat crew themselves.

(funnily enough I probably forgot the scene partially because my bias against Sabo that exists BECAUSE the producers and marketers of OP in Japan so clearly favor him like this).
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Anyone think we might get more filler from Kaido and maybe stuff that happened offscreen with Nami and them? A lot of it was really glossed over and left room for expansion.

I'd rather see Kaido filler, but either way, crossing my fingers for as much filler as possible.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Oh man the music they used in this episode is just amazing. If I'm not mistaken its new music that we've never heard before in One Piece. I'm not gonna lie I teared a lil bit:/
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
LegendaryUman wrote:
So it appears that the anime producers love Sabo SO MUCH that they'll give an entire episode higher production values so they can nail a scene with him that I forgot was even in the manga? Great, if only you could have that respect for characters that are actually interesting like the Strawhat crew themselves.

(funnily enough I probably forgot the scene partially because my bias against Sabo that exists BECAUSE the producers and marketers of OP in Japan so clearly favor him like this).

To be fair, Sabo DID place in the top ten of the most recent popularity survey in Japan before any of this Sabo-related stuff popped up, and he hasn't had nearly as much canon material as characters like Law or Ace.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
^^

You're not wrong. Both of you. I never understood the sheer insane levels of Sabo hype at the highest point. Like, you're arguing over power levels for a guy we just found out existed via flashback and (at that point) haven't even seen fight as an adult yet? Lol with that. But it always blows over for the next cool character design or touching flashback or new nakama argument, you just have to ride it out. Such is the cycle of One Piece.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
LegendaryUman wrote:

To be fair, Sabo DID place in the top ten of the most recent popularity survey in Japan before any of this Sabo-related stuff popped up, and he hasn't had nearly as much canon material as characters like Law or Ace.

Yeah, you're right. I tend to diss the people making the anime but it's not like they decided Sabo was great for no reason, they decided it because the Japanese fandom really loves him. And I don't get that, even now that we've seen him as an adult I just do not see the attraction there. It's similar with Hancock, where Oda builds up the character with some dramatic words in-universe (most beautiful woman in the world/Luffy's second brother for life), and then in execution the character is just not that interesting to me (I think the Sabo flashback is pretty awful really), but a lot of fans just take those words to heart and go "Well, I guess we have to like these people", and then Boa Hancock makes #1 on WatchMojo's top 10 sexiest anime women. That's my frustration with this in a nutshell.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
LegendaryUman wrote:
Yeah, you're right. I tend to diss the people making the anime but it's not like they decided Sabo was great for no reason, they decided it because the Japanese fandom really loves him. And I don't get that, even now that we've seen him as an adult I just do not see the attraction there. It's similar with Hancock, where Oda builds up the character with some dramatic words in-universe (most beautiful woman in the world/Luffy's second brother for life), and then in execution the character is just not that interesting to me (I think the Sabo flashback is pretty awful really), but a lot of fans just take those words to heart and go "Well, I guess we have to like these people", and then Boa Hancock makes #1 on WatchMojo's top 10 sexiest anime women. That's my frustration with this in a nutshell.

Different tastes, pure and simple. Nothing wrong with that. I personally thought Hancock did not live up to the hype (but is still an interesting character nonetheless), but I did think it was really neat to see Sabo return to the story.

I think a big reason for Sabo's popularity is that he is a character closely associated with Luffy who had an ambiguous end in Luffy's flashback, and his very existence gave people closure as to his fate (that is, he's alive and well, and a firm ally of Luffy's). That, and he's an attractive male character, so he, along with Law, win the hearts of a lot of girls reading the manga and watching the anime (with Law as the bad boy and Sabo as the good boy). Sabo also oozes coolness: He has a slick design, he is very competent and confident, he is high-ranked among the Revolutionaries, and he does it all with style. This coolness is definitely a turnoff to some (The One Piece Podcast refers to it as "the Poochie factor," and some of its hosts actively dislike Law, Ace, and Sabo).

And FYI, my favorite characters in One Piece tend to be underdog type characters, like Usopp; and really weird characters, like Gekko Moriah. (I also really like Capone Bege, just because I enjoy mob boss characters and mobster stories.) Sabo is nowhere near the top, but because of what I described above, I was not surprised to see him suddenly place so high in the popularity surveys. (I WAS surprised to see Law bump Zoro down to 3rd though.)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
I really liked the Kaido reveal, and the production value of ep 739 seemed to be higher than previously, better than the final luffy vrs donflamingo fight episode at least. Drawing out the Kaido reveal is one of the few times in which I think the anime actually did it right, taking a while, but making it not feel like its being dragged out.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:27 am Reply with quote
^
I agree that the pacing was very good, but they are too damn close to where the manga is at. Unless the show will be put in hiatus (like that'll ever happen), their only options are fillers, or to pad each character interaction and battle scene as much as possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 49