• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey D luffY 4

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
What the hell is up with community score of episode 786?? and here I thought that this episode will be ranked top in weekly rankings Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
^
I know,right? I was puzzled back in Zou arc when Zunisha sunk Jack's ships, the episode gets only 3.6 stars, but the next episode which was mostly filler gets 4.1 stars!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
I don't even watch the anime anymore. Toei has ruined it. A shame, as it used to be pretty good, but I can't get past the torpid pacing and sub-par animation efforts.
Ninten

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it could be nice for the redactor to try to not spoil the plot on the tumbnail... I haven't started the Whole Cake Arc yet and I didn't knew at all that Jimbei was going to come back. You ruined it for me.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Gah... this WCI anime is such a bore. When will it fully freaking show Sanji in action? I have enough of the other crew members and I'd rather not see them for a whole 100 episodes. Just give me Luffy and Sanji and I'll persist watching.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think of Toei's output as going through cycles rather than an overall declination

That's not wrong to think of it in cycles. From what I understand, longer running shows have a cycle of different animation teams. Otherwise they couldn't last very long. You can see it in shorter anime as well, but it is especially important for long running shows like this.

On the show itself, it must be terrifying being one of those sentient food stuffs in Totto Land, especially the capital and particularly in the castle. There is a significant chance you will be eaten alive at any moment, often for little reason. I mean it probably wouldn't be a good life outside, but most people would avoid eating a talking cream puff. As long as they stay away from areas with lots of wild animals, they probably wouldn't be eaten.

What I'm saying is that it is horrifying every time Big Mom nonchalantly munches on some talking desserts that have faces Shocked. The contrast between the cartoony setting and characters of Totto Land and the horrors visited upon them are simultaneously amusing and terrifying.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
What I'm saying is that it is horrifying every time Big Mom nonchalantly munches on some talking desserts that have faces Shocked. The contrast between the cartoony setting and characters of Totto Land and the horrors visited upon them are simultaneously amusing and terrifying.

I don't think Big Mom really cares if what she eats is sentient or not. (I'm also sure horrifying and unsettling was the idea behind it all, though perhaps it doesn't bother me quite as much as I watched a lot of those old black and white cartoons when I was little.)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I know she voiced young Sanji back in East Blue when he had his flashback, but that was quite sometime before Chopper joined. Hearing it now is kind of strange.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I know she voiced young Sanji back in East Blue when he had his flashback, but that was quite sometime before Chopper joined. Hearing it now is kind of strange.

hate to admit it but that is a valid point. age is a cruel mistress and for an VA its worse when your going to reprise a role that you haven't done in many years.

that was more or less proven during the FMA premium OVA when unfortunately time have nuked the english dub voice for Alphonse's VA to where they had to chance the VA for the brotherhood series.

also considering the extent that otani voiced young sanji during the east blue arc was like nearly over 20 years ago if not longer. it definitely doesn't sound the same that's for sure. personally this should have been the time they used a different VA for young sanji. hopefully the english dub voice don't make the same mistake when it reaches the zou arc.

Quote:
One thing is for certain, though: he's a disgusting father

Not quite. compared to things evangelion's gendo ikari , fairy tail's jiieemma and ivan as well as my hero academia's endeavor did to their kids, he's not at that level just yet.

but he is definitely close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I know this isn't the best place to ask this, but could someone put in the new dub credits for Season 9 Voyage 1? I've done a few but could use some help, thanks.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

hate to admit it but that is a valid point. age is a cruel mistress and for an VA its worse when your going to reprise a role that you haven't done in many years.

that was more or less proven during the FMA premium OVA when unfortunately time have nuked the english dub voice for Alphonse's VA to where they had to chance the VA for the brotherhood series.

also considering the extent that otani voiced young sanji during the east blue arc was like nearly over 20 years ago if not longer. it definitely doesn't sound the same that's for sure. personally this should have been the time they used a different VA for young sanji. hopefully the english dub voice don't make the same mistake when it reaches the zou arc.

Quote:
One thing is for certain, though: he's a disgusting father

Not quite. compared to things evangelion's gendo ikari , fairy tail's jiieemma and ivan as well as my hero academia's endeavor did to their kids, he's not at that level just yet.

but he is definitely close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we ever get enough of the Noragami manga adapted I can assure you that Yato's father will blow Gendo out of the water.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
My impression with the Devil Fruits, especially the Paramecia/Paramythia ones, is that they're supposed to all have enormous potential, no matter how dumb they are--some are just more obvious than others. Luffy managed to get far, far more mileage out of the Gum-Gum Fruit than anybody ever thought possible, and definitely more so than any other stretchy character in fiction I've seen. I think Moriah's Shadow-Shadow Fruit has some unrealized potential as well. He's not dead yet, after all. Oda may have something planned for him.
tzarye14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
They just keep stretching the anime... -.-
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
azertz99 wrote:
They just keep stretching the anime... -.-

Gum-gum no anime.
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
My impression with the Devil Fruits, especially the Paramecia/Paramythia ones, is that they're supposed to all have enormous potential, no matter how dumb they are--some are just more obvious than others. Luffy managed to get far, far more mileage out of the Gum-Gum Fruit than anybody ever thought possible, and definitely more so than any other stretchy character in fiction I've seen. I think Moriah's Shadow-Shadow Fruit has some unrealized potential as well. He's not dead yet, after all. Oda may have something planned for him.

This is absolutely my favourite part about One Piece. Unlike other Shonen series like DBZ or Bleach, where everything is determined by big, flashy attacks or arbitrary power levels, One Piece prides itself on the fact that no one ever truly gets 'stronger' in a physical sense, but Devil Fruit users get better though creativity and often little else. Just look at Luffy's fight with Crocodile. They realised he uses sand, and gets weaker with water, so Luffy got a giant barrel of it, and when he couldn't use that, he used his own blood instead. Gears 2-4 are also the product of sheer creativity, not months of training. Luffy had that down pat in like 2 nights, just because he had an idea to do it. It's why Logia users were so OP early on, but less so now. They never got creative because they never needed to, so by the time they hit the New World, everyone is ready for them with Haki.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 49