• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Can Webcomic Artists Get Anime Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
rizuchan wrote:
Servant x Service was about workers in a government office, if what you're looking for is a mundane setting. I get the feeling an anime about the stock exchange would be like Wolf of Wall Street without the drugs and hookers (wait, does that leave anything...?)

Hostesses.

Quote:
But now that I think about it, I can't think of many anime that take place in a professional job setting (i.e. not restaurant or retail) other than publishing companies.

Cops and the military get good representation. Shinto and Buddhist priests, too.

And of course right now we have Plastic Memories.

On the working class side of things we have:

Toradora: Ryuuji's mom is a hostess and they live in what's basically a slum apartment.

AnoHana: Jintan and Popo both work in construction during the series.

Most PA Works series: Lots of characters come from families that own small businesses, ranging from hotels, to cafes, to fishing boats.

Tsuritama: More fishing boat owners.

Working!'s premise is, you guessed it, Working! at a family restaurant.

Chobit's Hideki is a repeat cram school student who works at an Izakaya. A picture perfect portrayal of the struggling college age life.

Welcome to the NHK features Satou who is a complete emotional wreck who also doesn't exactly live the high life.

Binbougami has Keita who also works part time jobs to support his large family.

So many examples...I feel like Jose is either baiting, doesn't watch a lot of anime or just tunes out the subjects of his question.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Justin, you should talk about sushi in your introduction. Your favorite kinds, favorite place to eat, if you make them yourself, etc. Your bemoaning at the lack of sushi last week made me bemoan the fact that I hadn't had any in a few weeks, so I went out and got some from my favorite local sushi place. The local restaurant and economy thanks you for implanting the urge into my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blue21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
So many examples...I feel like Jose is either baiting, doesn't watch a lot of anime or just tunes out the subjects of his question.

Perhaps, but I feel like the essence of his question is how a lot of anime plots (specially shonen) are about wanting to be the very best, like no one ever was.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Perhaps, but I feel like the essence of his question is how a lot of anime plots (specially shonen) are about wanting to be the very best, like no one ever was.

Didn't sound like that to me. What he's asking boils down to, "what happens to the 99% of Japanese society?" which if he had done research and even applied a bit of common sense, he'd get his answer. He most likely based his question from watching anime with a lot of "privileged" characters like in Nisekoi or Seto no Hanayome.

We have more plots featuring losers like Kaiji and Akagi as main characters than the head honcho CEO that manages a zaibatsu. Like Justin said, it's just not that much room to work with as a storytelling concept.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Nina! Very Happy Always happy to remember that exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Everyone seems to have forgotten one particular series where Satan himself is forced to work at McDonald's. Laughing
BlueBrain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Never forget the DAICON student films which were made by amateur otaku which resulted in the juggernaut GAINAX. Even Osamu Tezuka congratulated Hideaki Anno, Yamaga, Sadamoto, etc. on their work. Professionals and experts try to discourage "amateurs" with legalese, when the "pros" are little more than glorified amateurs themselves.

and I guess this "professional" totally ignored yesterday's news of a webcomic getting an anime

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-11/million-arthur-rpgs-4-panel-manga-gets-web-anime-in-fall/.89149

and the endless newgrounds animated series, or Inferno Cop, or Ninja Slayer, etc.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Blue21 wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Didn't sound like that to me. What he's asking boils down to, "what happens to the 99% of Japanese society?" which if he had done research and even applied a bit of common sense, he'd get his answer. He most likely based his question from watching anime with a lot of "privileged" characters like in Nisekoi or Seto no Hanayome.

We have more plots featuring losers like Kaiji and Akagi as main characters than the head honcho CEO that manages a zaibatsu. Like Justin said, it's just not that much room to work with as a storytelling concept.

kinda wish there were more 'even' characters in shows that aren't just side characters. we mostly get the drastic end of things.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Japanese people that don't make the top schools and get into the top jobs are lined up in front of a firing squad and executed at age 23.

That's it, the secret for Japan's decreasing population has been revealed :P

Imagine if they made that into a manga. Controversy! XD

Is it just me or is there some possibly recurring theme in anime and manga that if you don't have a job by the time you're twenty in Japan, then you're considered a lost cause or something by society, your family, etc.?
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
To add on to the question about opening and ending theme songs is this: Why is it always J-Pop and J-Rock? Why not Jazz? Orchestra? Or, just something else? The only animes that I've watched that didn't have j-pop or j-rock were Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy.
checarlos87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Blue21 wrote:

Paiprince wrote:

Actually, I based my question on examples you see anywhere you read about or consume Japanese culture (not just anime), though there are plenty of examples there too. Check out books like CultureShock! Japan by P Sean Bramble, Culture Smart! Japan, and A Geek in Japan by Héctor García. They all present examples of what it's like to work in Japan, yet they all focus on executive “top cut” jobs at high-level, stressful, business-oriented companies. We never get mention of what happens to most people that do not make that cut. Sure, they work other jobs, but how they feel about it? Do they have low self-esteem because of it or are they perfectly happy? Do they live lives as stressful as their executive counterparts (work all day, go to nomikai at night, go to sleep late, wake up early, repeat) or do they live less stressful lives? How do people who work outside of business (like in non-profit environments, for example) live? We never get these answers, especially not from anime.

As far as anime examples of this theme, almost any school anime fits the bill. Saying many anime focus on loser characters only proves my point that so much anime revolves around the idea of the top cut. Otherwise, the loser theme wouldn't even exist or at least not be relevant.

I'll give two concrete examples.

1. The Suzumiya Haruhi novel series repeatedly reinforces the idea that North High is a subpar school for subpar students like Kyon, and that it's very bizarre that a student of the caliber of Haruhi would even think about going to such a school when she could have gotten into much more prestigious schools. It also reinforces time and time again that Kyon has no idea what'll become of him after he graduates (being so low in the academic totem pole and all).

2. Otaku no Video focuses on two characters that, completely unable to fit into the “top cut” mold, deliberately abandon it all to make a living out of otaku hobbies.

Yet while anime touches on these themes, since so little anime go beyond school life, we really get no insight into what most adult people in Japan live like.

So precisely because I watch so much anime (and consume so much Japanese and East Asian culture) is that these questions have arisen. I've been an otaku since 2003, and been studying the Japanese language (難しい言語だな・・・) and culture since 2004. I've done my research but these questions are not easily answered.

Last edited by checarlos87 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Freyanne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
To add on to the question about opening and ending theme songs is this: Why is it always J-Pop and J-Rock? Why not Jazz? Orchestra? Or, just something else? The only animes that I've watched that didn't have j-pop or j-rock were Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy.
Probably because of easier to sell/ make money reasons. Like maybe it is easier to sell a J-pop/Rock song than if the OP song was a Jazz or Orchestra song.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
BlueBrain wrote:
Professionals and experts try to discourage "amateurs" with legalese, when the "pros" are little more than glorified amateurs themselves. and I guess this "professional" totally ignored yesterday's news of a webcomic getting an anime.

My article did not say "webcomics don't get turned into anime", it said "Western webcomics don't get turned into independent anime by means of Kickstarter." Your example of Kai-Ri-Sei Million Arthur getting anime treatment is the exact opposite of what the question was asking about: it's a Square Enix-published "official manga" of Square Enix's smartphone RPGs. Hardly the sort of thing that goes in without corporate backing.

But do whatever you need to do to keep putting the word professional in quotes, man.
ly000001

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Blue21 wrote:

Paiprince wrote:

checarlos87 wrote:

Actually, I based my question on examples you see anywhere you read about or consume Japanese culture (not just anime), though there are plenty of examples there too. Check out books like CultureShock! Japan by P Sean Bramble, Culture Smart! Japan, and A Geek in Japan by Héctor García. They all present examples of what it's like to work in Japan, yet they all focus on executive “top cut” jobs at high-level, stressful, business-oriented companies. We never get mention of what happens to most people that do not make that cut. Sure, they work other jobs, but how they feel about it? Do they have low self-esteem because of it or are they perfectly happy? Do they live lives as stressful as their executive counterparts (work all day, go to nomikai at night, go to sleep late, wake up early, repeat) or do they live less stressful lives? How do people who work outside of business (like in non-profit environments, for example) live? We never get these answers, especially not from anime.

As far as anime examples of this theme, almost any school anime fits the bill. Saying many anime focus on loser characters only proves my point that so much anime revolves around the idea of the top cut. Otherwise, the loser theme wouldn't even exist or at least not be relevant.

I'll give two concrete examples.

1. The Suzumiya Haruhi novel series repeatedly reinforces the idea that North High is a subpar school for subpar students like Kyon, and that it's very bizarre that a student of the caliber of Haruhi would even think about going to such a school when she could have gotten into much more prestigious schools. It also reinforces time and time again that Kyon has no idea what'll become of him after he graduates (being so low in the academic totem pole and all).

2. Otaku no Video focuses on two characters that, completely unable to fit into the “top cut” mold, deliberately abandon it all to make a living out of otaku hobbies.

Yet while anime touches on these themes, since so little anime go beyond school life, we really get no insight into what most adult people in Japan live like.

So precisely because I watch so much anime (and consume so much Japanese and East Asian culture) is that these questions have arisen. I've been an otaku since 2003, and been studying the Japanese language (難しい言語だな・・・) and culture since 2004. I've done my research but these questions are not easily answered.

If you're serious about learning about the daily life of the average Joe or Jane in Japan (alliteration especially for Justin Smile ), I wouldn't look to anime, manga, or any other form of entertainment as a source of information. Aside from the educational manga that usually doesn't make it outside of Japan, their primary purpose is to entertain. As a person not living in Japan, you may find the subject interesting, but those products are produced to be consumed by an audience who are already living average lives in Japan, so there is no entertainment value in stories reflecting mediocrity.

If you want to find out about how the average Japanese person lives, ask one. If you don't know any recent immigrants from Japan, there are places online where you can have language exchanges or become penpals with someone in Japan.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Western webcomic artists can get their works made into anime. It just involves paying hundreds of thousands (in US dollars) at the absolute minimum to a production committee upfront, and that would be for maybe a one or two episode OVA, not a 13-episode TV series.

If I remember correctly, Larry Bundy Jr. tried doing exactly that once for Natural Born Kittens, going so far as to get an agreement in principle from Madhouse, but, from what I understand, the people with money he thought were backing him pulled out. Or something along those lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4