• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Can Webcomic Artists Get Anime Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting columb. We were talking about webcomics and web animation a few weeks back - specifically, why some sizable community of indie studios hasn't blossomed to fill the action and non-comedy animation void via the Internet. Money and lack of someone who could handle managerial and business matters was the answer we came to as well. Come on, future Miyamoris and Okitsus, we need you!
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
There are definitely plenty of animations done by people who monetize them, but by and large the skill to manage animators enough to handle a large production in a timely manner doesn't really exist in the web cartoonist community - they're almost all extremely simple and involve a very small staff that even the cheapest TV cartoons outdo. I also doubt that they'd work very well if you managed to hire the "studios" under a real director, since they're not typically organized in the clean chain-of-command needed for anything of that scale.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
To add on to the question about opening and ending theme songs is this: Why is it always J-Pop and J-Rock? Why not Jazz? Orchestra? Or, just something else? .

Well, you could have a point that even anime about classical music (e.g. Nodame Cantible) use pop songs for OP and ED.

I'm still meaning to finish watching Kids On The Slope for the jazz music.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Getting webcomics made into anime is easy, just two steps.

1) clone Makoto Shinkai
2) have the clones start making webcomics
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
To add on to the question about opening and ending theme songs is this: Why is it always J-Pop and J-Rock? Why not Jazz? Orchestra?

Over in the thread about the top OP's for 2009, the OP for Ristorante Paradiso "Marigold" by orange pekoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdqunNurAYg

is definitely jazzy.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
That thumbnail made me realize how much I miss "Anime News Nina." Crying or Very sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:12 am Reply with quote
HS grads who don't make it to their college of choice sometimes become ronin like in Maison Ikkoku or Love Hina.

As for ordinary workers in Japan, it'd be like The Office: The Anime.

For webcomics being turned to anime, ya might as well just hire a studio since there has to be something in it for them, and that'd be serious money worth more than working for just another production committee (or where they get to share on the profits). Or do it yourselves with other amateurs like some Touhou projects. Otherwise, just use local studios like Rooster Teeth or Frederator Studios who are willing to animate their workers' projects even if just on the WWW and not on TV.

rizuchan wrote:

Servant x Service was about workers in a government office, if what you're looking for is a mundane setting. I get the feeling an anime about the stock exchange would be like Wolf of Wall Street without the drugs and hookers (wait, does that leave anything...?)

Even if they have money, regular Japanese aren't into stocks, and it's not typically part of their personal assets. Instead, stocks are usually owned by other companies in cross-buying schemes. So anything stocks would be unfamiliar.
miken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
To add on to the question about opening and ending theme songs is this: Why is it always J-Pop and J-Rock? Why not Jazz? Orchestra? Or, just something else? The only animes that I've watched that didn't have j-pop or j-rock were Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy.

exactly. just thought the same yesterday again, watching legend of arslan with that random mediocre j-poprock song thrown in as opener. it's like starting game of thrones with nickelback... nobody on earth would think of doing that - but anime has its own weird rules.

ps: here's another one of my fave-animes that got a fantastic fitting opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wApAEg0ErgE
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
miken wrote:

ps: here's another one of my fave-animes that got a fantastic fitting opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wApAEg0ErgE

OK, Haibane Renmai with music composed by Kow Otani, not sure why he is missing from the ANN Encyclopedia with his extensive anime credits.

Edit: official page: http://www.imagine-music.co.jp/artist/otani/

So that clip was actually the opening music for each episode?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Even if they have money, regular Japanese aren't into stocks, and it's not typically part of their personal assets. Instead, stocks are usually owned by other companies in cross-buying schemes. So anything stocks would be unfamiliar.
It's a rather recent development in the US, so I'm not too surprised to hear this. It wasn't until after the seventies that people had to seriously start worrying about inflation as a fact of life since Uncle Sam couldn't force other countries to take the burden anymore; if Abe has his way, it'll be the same thing in Japan, though.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
To add on to the question about opening and ending theme songs is this: Why is it always J-Pop and J-Rock? Why not Jazz? Orchestra? Or, just something else? The only animes that I've watched that didn't have j-pop or j-rock were Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy.

In terms of western music you missed out on Hellsing (TV), Gunslinger Girl, Eden of the East, Speedgrapher....
Haibane had an entirely instrumental opening. Gad Guard had Jazz (or what sounded Jazzy to me) music for both OP and ED.
Brinhildr had one opening that I'm informed is dubstep, and another by that same band I couldn't stand to listen to for the entire run of Parasyte who I'm informed by Wikipedia as "metalcore".

But to answer your question, unless the Director has something specific in mind, it is whatever the music company on the committee wants to push, and how many orchestral composers are on the books at the likes of Lantis and would they sell many photobooks?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
miken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

So that clip was actually the opening music for each episode?

yup. except for the first episode, if i remember right. the ending differs a bit from the rest, but is pretty nice too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bpd7cd3D2U

Shiroi Hane wrote:
and another by that same band I couldn't stand to listen to for the entire run of Parasyte who I'm informed by Wikipedia as "metalcore".

i only remember the opening with that annoying vocoder-vocals. uhm... there may be some influences, but it sounds more like a pop-producers version of metal. reminds me more on linkin park meets cher...
palenoue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Many web comics sell collected reprints of their web strips, which doesn't count as manga because it's not produced by a big publisher. But it does prove how popular they are. For example, Girl Genius vol. 12 raised $389,000 in just one month on Kickstarter last year.

Sure, it would be very difficult today to turn an indie web comic into an anime/animated series, but just ten years ago the concept of crowdsourcing six-figure projects over the internet was considered impossible, now it's recognized as a standard business strategy.

I'm just looking into what it would take (and cost) to animate a web comic and I'm including anime into that research because they do similar manga/comic strips already. Right now it seems the biggest obstacle is animation studios on both sides of the Pacific consider web comics to small to consider. Hey, remember when comic books were considered box office poison and the major studios refused to have anything to do with them? Seems to be the same situation here.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

But to answer your question, unless the Director has something specific in mind, it is whatever the music company on the committee wants to push, and how many orchestral composers are on the books at the likes of Lantis and would they sell many photobooks?

Agreed, unless you can get Kenji Kawaii or Nobuo Uematsu or the like (and even they haven't done much in the way of anime series openings or endings, only Guin Saga
Theme of Guin by Nobuo Uematsu comes to mind).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Japan doesn't want to make anime based on a western property without a major corporate backing (when was the last time an independent American comic inspired an anime? Witchblade?)

America doesn't want to make animated shows, period. (Non comedies, even for kids, are increasingly a no-go).

As much as we'd all love to see animated shows based on Western properties, who's going to produce them? France?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4