• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Literary Secrets of Psycho-Pass

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I love info dump though. Nothing makes me happier than watching a 10 minute long lecture about something I find interesting. I guess that's one of the reasons why I love his work. Very Happy

Oh, I love listening to great dialogue about things I find interesting. The banquet of kings in Fate/Zero, for example. You don't even need to move the camera for me in scenes like that. Just keep them talking, I'm good. Cool

But the way PP's society and system was introduced to us in the first episode was... not very elegant. There was too much tell instead of show. I don't have any issues with Akane needing explanations about how to use the dominators or what the enforcers are, as it wasn't in the system's interest to have her look into the abyss before her time. It actually made sense she wasn't trained as a police officer (detective work is what the enforcers are for, after all) and had to have the mechanics spoon-fed to her. But having Matsuoka go on and explain how the scans, psycho-passes, drones... work was a bit much, especially since Akane seemed a lot less clueless about these things a few minutes later.
Enigmo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
For me, Makishima was practically the only thing that made me watch the show to the end. The main detective--forgot his name--was boring af. And the female detective was annoying af
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
While Sybil wanted its true self to be accepted, it also conceded it was inherently imperfect and vowed to step aside without protest if a superior system was devised to replace it. Calling Psycho Pass a dystopia completely misses the point: Sybil is actually benevolent. It does bad things to maintain order but even Akane admits that a stable society under Sybil is better than anarchy. This is a very fresh idea in science fiction: that there is no point overthrowing a system if you don't replace it with something better.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
While Sybil wanted its true self to be accepted, it also conceded it was inherently imperfect and vowed to step aside without protest if a superior system was devised to replace it. Calling Psycho Pass a dystopia completely misses the point: Sybil is actually benevolent. It does bad things to maintain order but even Akane admits that a stable society under Sybil is better than anarchy. This is a very fresh idea in science fiction: that there is no point overthrowing a system if you don't replace it with something better.

The last shot of Sybil in Psycho-Pass is (may not be exact, going from memory here, but it's close) Akane saying "One day society will be strong and independent enough to come in here, see you for what you really are, and just turn off all the lights and leave." Sybil sees this as a challenge and laughs evilly as Akane strides out of the room. That's not the way you structure the last scene with an "ultimately not so bad" force in a story.

Sybil was not remotely framed to be a benevolent system, any more than Kyubey was framed to be a good guy because he used nice words most of the time and was ultimately working for the good of the universe. It's "better than anarchy" but that can be said of basically every governmental system including legendarily heinous dictatorships. ("But at least the trains were always on time" as the old saying goes.) That's why no society successfully functions under anarchy for even a conservative period of time before mutating into something with structure.

tl;dr Sybil is not just "imperfect," it's evil. It's literally a giant matrix of psychopathic brains, specifically those previously convicted of the most heinous crimes possible, judging society through a crazy over-the-top "feelings are bad and logic is good" lens. It's not only evil, it's almost downright silly! (I like the show a lot, but on paper it's pretty silly. All in the execution.)
Wondername

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Nice article, the literary references were one of the main reasons I loved this show and didn't get the hate for it. Whenever a new book was introduced or the characters were talking about a certain work all I could think was "oh, you didn't!". They carried some real foreshadowing and whoever entwined these works in the series knew what he was doing. They fit incredibly well, both with the story and with the execution.

That being said, what about Max Weber's references? He was remembered explicitly in episode 9, but through the whole series there was a bunch of references on his work, mostly on his ideas on bureaucracy, the state and authority. I do believe that Foucault's ideas on the panopticon were also pretty important overall, which makes sense since the whole series is centered around that idea as well.

Then there was Blaise Pascal and I'm pretty sure that also other Shakespeare works got quoted. But yeah, it's kinda hard to remember or even notice them all. Laughing

I find that the majority of people misses these references and I guess that's normal, but it's also a shame since it adds a lot to the show's depth. So yeah, looking forwards to similar articles for other shows. Pretty please? Wink

Edit: Derped on Foucault. Also remembered another huge SciFi reference, "Do androids dream of electic sheep?" - Philip K. Dick.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Gabbomatic wrote:
Thanks for the responses! There’s are a ton of other works mentioned in Psycho-Pass. I’d love to have included them, but ran into time and space limitations.

If you want a complete list of references in Psycho-Pass this one is pretty thorough: http://anime.stackexchange.com/questions/3119/complete-list-of-books-read-in-psycho-pass

No literary references to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury in the show? Aww, I'm disappointed. I was hoping it would have some slight connection to the show. I haven't seen Psycho-Pass but based on the content of this article, I thought Fahrenheit would be in there somewhere.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Makishima's eating a madeleine in Episode 15 is a reference to Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time.
Marcel Proust wrote:
Et bientôt, machinalement, accablé par la morne journée et la perspective d'un triste lendemain, je portai à mes lèvres une cuillerée du thé où j'avais laissé s'amollir un morceau de madeleine.

In his translation of In Search of Lost Time, scholar of French literature Suzuki Michihiko wrote:
Quote:
少したって、陰気に過ごしたその一日と、明日もまた物悲しい一日であろうという予想とに気を滅入らせながら、私は何気なく、お茶に浸してやわらかくなったひと切れのマドレーヌごと、ひと匙の紅茶をすくって口に持っていった。

You can see the translation by Suzuki Michihiko also in Episode 22.

Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote
I skimmed through the article since Psycho-Pass is on my list of "anime to watch when I get around to it."

Okay, you've piqued my interest. Psycho-Pass just moved to the top of that list. Very Happy
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
Good article, but, since Urobutcher has no idea about what subtlety is, most of these "secrets" (especially dystopian and cyberpunk novels) were recognizable right from the start (hell, if I remember correctly characters even mentioned some of the books during dialogues).
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
It's funny how everyone here are saying "Urobuchi this, Urobuchi that" when they don't know that the actual writer of Psycho-Pass season one and the Movie is Fukami Makoto. I've already said about an interview withe Urobuchi and Fukami before and what's interesting here is that they've explained the way Psycho-Pass was written.
Basically, Urobuchi was making a base plot for each episode, then Fukami was writing the actual script for the episode, and then Urobuchi was giving this script the final touches. And the Movie was written the same way.
Quote:
──おふたりのあいだで脚本執筆の分担はどのように?

深見 まず虚淵さんからプロットが上がってきて、自分がそれをもとに草稿を書いて、それを虚淵さんが仕上げる。そして、あとは監督と虚淵さんがキャッチボールしていく。1期のシナリオ作業と同じ流れですね。

If you're interested to read about that and more yourself here's a link for the interview:
http://natalie.mu/comic/pp/psychopass
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
@RaylenCypher Fahrenheit 451 has robot dogs and so has PP but that also goes for MGS Revegeance and Mega Men.
A lot of the leads of PP were dead inside antiheroes who spend 1/3 of the times being nostalgic for the past and the police force in PP2 were straight out anti villains. As they should be!
Yo Hope. Akane indeed resigned to the fact that Cybil isn´t something she can mess or expose on her own and hopes that society will try to fix itself but fascistic governments (it is a dystopia after all) have a way to not topple themselves so we will see and a happy ending would be rather pointless. I also find governments that are run by a super brain to be a rather lazy trope and MGS did that one too but it had a figurehead to lead it and the show will need more of a real face to actual struggle against if they choose to. I further have no idea how either of the 2 teams want to resolve the metaseries but the similar endings to both shows are a decent way to leave it be.
I would give it off to Katsuhiro Otomo or someone comparable and show a life from the streets perspective in form of a short-ish OVA series but the franchise can´t go on that much longer from a creative or even financial standpoint.
The Nolan comparison makes sense (i am mostly a fan) but a comparison with David S. Goyer makes even more sense as i mentioned Person of Interest for a reason Wink.
The picture chosen for the feature lastly proves that PP 1 (2 stopped that) is one of the most homosexually charged shows about a mostly hetero cast. A bit like the 10/10 Hannibal.
Now go read a book or something.
(Katsuyuki/Urobuchi are the show runners and Fukami is one of the lead writers. The point is?)
Edit:MajorZero is right. Goyer has been wasting away on Constantine.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:27 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
If enjoying JoJos makes my crime coeficient go up, then I'll gladly become a pile of goo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The Nolan comparison makes sense (i am mostly a fan) but a comparison with David S. Goyer makes even more sense as i mentioned Person of Interest for a reason Wink.

David Goyer has nothing to do with PoI, it's created by Jonah Nolan.

Anyway, I think similarities between PoI and PP are superficial and mostly ends on Sybil and Samaritan. Though, I wish Makishima was half as interesting and charismatic as Greer.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
nice article, i caught about half of these myself when i watched the show but the other half was lost on me since i never knew the original sources. Looks like i have a couple of books to add to my reading list
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this great piece Gabriella. It will come handy the next time I rewatch the first season of Psycho-Pass.

And I should stop being so lazy and read these and other great works of literature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4