• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Literary Secrets of Psycho-Pass

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
@CoreSignal

Well, when I brought up Hobbes and Locke, I was mainly referring to the Social Contracy theory. It brought up a post from the Psycho-Pass anime discussion thread. If I remember correctly, Hobbes in The Leviathan wrote that people shouldn't go against their rulers (for reasons I forgot so these are guesses) because they protect and if we rebel against them we return to anarchy. Locke argues otherwise and states that we have the right to rebel against a system that prevents us from exercising our freedoms (I think freedom for Locke referred to one's right of property and stuff).*

And I agree, it's a great show even if you don't understand all the references (which I certainly didn't). I think people will enjoy it more if they do understand what they reference, though. Hopefully when I do get to the rewatch, I'll enjoy it even more. But I still have the second season to go Razz .

*I'll admit I didn't do too well in the class so these are terrible recounts of what I learned/remembered.
BlueBrain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I read and watched every entry on the list (i read the bible from cover to cover) and i still think that the first season was rater a shallow procedural with high production values that couldn't keep up with it´s contemporaries as Person of Interest or GitS SAC/Arise or any of the references.
The one exception is Beyond Good and Evil as it proved to be one of the most unreadable books i ever touched. Shudder but i finished it too. Nietzsche is now dead to me.
The short story Minority Report should have been mentioned too as it feel like the biggest influence on the anime and The 120 Days of Sodom (vomit) was name-dropped/evoked a bunch also amonst dozens of other things. Urobutcher is very good with referencing things left and right to make his most average writing feel bigger but he gets to work with one quality director after another so what do i know. Shrug. I gave PP1 a "so so" and i stand to that. (The Dominator guns are the worst btw.)

I liked the mindless 80´s OVA-esque spectacle of PP2 on the other hand so let´s see what the movie will deliver. More own substance and less quotes would be a good start to gain a full identity but another balls to the wall action trip will be fine too.
Read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, C. Clarke´s 2001 or the original Dune books as that is how one writes cerebral sci-fi.

Nietzshe's My Sister and I is one of the best books I've ever read. Just because you don't like one book doesn't mean the rest are bad. Dawn of Day is also horrifying in it's profundity
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Chief villain Makishima was one of my least favorite parts of Psych-Pass. The show seemed to be shouting 'look how cool this guy is, with his rebellious and radical social philosophy'! But he just seemed like a sadistic bastard that I hated, rather than having some understandable goal which made some sense; or at least that goal wasn't explained well enough to stick in my memory. If it had been, and he had been developed better, he might have seemed like a much more interesting 'dark hero' rather than the despicable person that he was. As it was, I thought that the scene in episode eight where Makishima recites poetry while a murder takes place was extremely corny and made me roll my eyes.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
without Neuromancer, there'd be no Total Recall

Rather, without Philip K Dick, there'd be no Neuromancer. Wink[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4