• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Castle in the Sky Robot Makes Cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Until that end credits scene where they had to stick in spoiler[Thanos and the Gauntlet], and that's when that sudden nagging Thor 2 realization sank in:
"Wait a minute...This didn't have ANYTHING to do with Phase 3! Just some two-line setups for CA3: Civil War, and I could've waited for that! What the heck did we just sit through two and a half hours for, anyway?? Confused "

Exactly. The movie could have just ended where it began, it was that bad. I also think Thanos will be turned into a joke as Ultron was, but now that the Russos are taking over, I have faith, especially after The Winter Soldier.

It's not an insult to the director to say I've had enough of Joss Whedon (the Downey wisecracks were funny, until the goofy Disney Channel cartoons rammed them down our throats), and I'd like to see it move on--Again, when a director starts getting overconfident that he can keep his own franchise going, just look at what Spielberg does with sequels...

About all the pertinent material we learn from A2:AoU is that
A) Cap and Tony are starting to clash over differences, and
B) Stark's "peacekeeping" robots are becoming unpopular with the public.
Those are both going to serve as the bases for the the movie version of "Civil War" in Cap 3 (which in the comics was about the government requiring secret-identity disclosure after a superhero disaster, but...they don't really have secret identities in the movie-verse)--Which means we got a lot of filler with only a little bit of next-movie tease to remind us we'd rather be watching that one instead.
Oh, and the spoiler[Black Panther]/Vibranium tease, to set up that next movie, and the only time the movie caught its groove was when we were watching the "next" movie. Two and a half hours, and we only got two previews?

Otherwise, the only reason for making it was that they "had" to introduce the Vision and the twins, and the last time somebody made a Marvel movie just to clean up characters they "had" to get around to sooner or later--namely, Gambit and Deadpool in X-Men:Wolverine--things didn't turn out so well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
I noticed, in the end credits, that there was mention of a "Laputa Robot," but I wasn't sure where it was as I didn't notice it. I thought it was one of Ultron's robots, but I should've figured it was something not at all obvious. Yeah, looking at that scene, it's just an arm.

Incidentally, the robots at the end of Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure bear a resemblance to these robots too, and SEGA never needed to ask permission. More likely, permission was granted, and then it was up to Whedon to decide what to do with the cameo.

I also figured that a super high profile Hollywood live action movie getting mentioned on ANN is going to get a lot of hate. Nothing wrong with that--I long realized anime fans are far, far off the mainstream. (And this is why, for those of you who want anime to be mainstream, it's going to take a long while for that to happen, if it happens at all. An anime fan's tastes are pretty different than that of the typical American moviegoer. Just as it seems a number of anime fans find normal Hollywood fare as off-putting and annoying, or at least that's the impression I get, if you go to a forum of Hollywood movie fans, you get similar reactions of disgust if anime ever comes up as a topic. And in Hollywood itself, anime as a topic ends conversations. I've tried. Repeatedly. If you want anime to be mainstream, then you're going to have to make compromises so as to appeal to a wide audience.)

Makes me wonder how savagely torn apart Jurassic World is going to be among anime fans. Age of Ultron stands at 74% on Rotten Tomatoes, but Jurassic World is only at 70%!

For the record, I liked Age of Ultron, but I didn't think it was as good as the first Avengers. It didn't really tread any new ground, the fights were too long (especially the last part), there was too much continuity that made some parts of the movie confusing, and the Bruce/Natasha romance seemed forced in and broke the pacing. However, I did like the action sequences (the first few minutes of each one, in any case), and I suppose I haven't seen enough of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for anything to wear thin on me yet. (I have seen Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers 1, and Guardians of the Galaxy. I intend on seeing Captain America: The Winter Soldier, as Age of Ultron seems to have made a lot of references to that movie.)

Tony Stark behaved like a jerk at times, but I liked all of the characters. I also like that Ultron was a villain created by a hero; it was interesting to see a comic book villain thinking he's doing something good, considering the Comics Code Authority pretty much established a black-and-white view on good and evil that American comics have been struggling to escape from since.

A few more things regarding Age of Ultron that I suspect will be important later:

C) spoiler[Bruce Banner leaves the Avengers and heads off alone to an unknown location.]
D) spoiler[Strucker has been killed off. Not sure if this will affect H.Y.D.R.A. in any meaningful way.]
E) spoiler[Tony Stark is going to take a long break to think about what his technology has done. As a result, Avengers HQ has been moved away from Stark Laboratories.]
F) spoiler[J.A.R.V.I.S. has been removed from the stories and reborn as Vision.]
G) spoiler[Vision, Scarlet Witch, Falcon, and War Machine have joined the Avengers.]
H) spoiler[Hawkeye is shown to have a wife and 2, soon 3 kids who love him. If the comics are any indication, Mrs. Barton's days are numbered.]
I) spoiler[Thor will learn more about the Infinity Stones, though just as likely, Thanos is going to provide all the necessary exposition.]

Perhaps the reason why I get so worked up when I see people start leaping on complaining about whatever is the most popular Hollywood movie at the time is that I am a populist. Age of Ultron will likely not be in the top 50 or even top 100 movies this year from Hollywood as far as critical reception goes, but it has grossed tremendously well, and I have to wonder if some of this vitriol is due to sour grapes or misanthropy. Whatever the case, money talks, Ultron was able to speak to the masses, and there will be many more movies like this one on the horizon. Then again, the Internet seems to have turned against James Cameron's Avatar. I wonder if this will be a pattern for movies--and directors--capable of consistently topping $1 billion at the box office before home video even happens.

Now, Tomorrowland--THAT is mediocrity (critically, at least--it was an utter failure financially).
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

despite how i may have sounded in my post, i enjoy live action films, anime, television (not network, but hbo, amc, showtime, etc) and videogames pretty well equally. i'm not a closed minded person who picks on hollywood because i see it to be inferior to anime.

avengers 2 was just a poorly plotted, paced and written film no matter how you look at it. the new characters were lame and had no growth in the entire film. tony stark is probably the most annoying character of the bunch. he fails to evolve and is so one dimensional that he nearly put me sleep mid sentence. how many one liners can a person take? the same applies to the rest of the lot who fail to grow or give me a single reason to give a damn about them... and people complain about character tropes in anime? after the first big set piece i nearly lost all interest in the film. the only redeeming scene was the hulk fight. most people who i speak to feel the same way.

the far bigger issue here is that the superhero genre is quickly becoming over saturated and tired at this point. i feel like the lines are becoming more blurred than ever from release to release (marvel in particular) with little inspiration or sense of identity between them. you could show a casual fan 10 different scenes from a variety of marvel franchises, and i bet they wouldn't be able to tell you what the source was... why? because they all lack a personal director's touch. the action scenes look as though they were directed by a computer... there is nothing distinct about the visual storytelling that is being utilized. forgettable would be an understatement... i have never had the urge to go back and re-watch any of the marvel movies... the only exceptions, at least for me, was the dark knight trilogy, sin city, and the x-men films. contrary to the general consensus, i quite enjoyed the spiderman reboot as well and was never much of a fan of the original campy raimi films.

as for measuring the quality of films, specifically avengers 2, to its box office numbers... since when does the earned revenue indicate the quality of a film? i thought we were passed this naive way of thinking? popular franchises can at times be of high quality, sure, but they can also be the very definition of mediocrity. if you look at the top grossing movies of all time, you will see twilight, transformers, iron man 3, spiderman 3, and of course, the first 3 terrible star wars films listed... my point? a film in a popular franchise (with loads of hard core fans) will gross amazing amounts of money regardless of the quality or what the critics say. a big opening weekend doesn't mean the films are any good and worthy of praise. also, don't underestimate the influence the cast has on potential box office numbers or the time of year the film releases on. i don't think avengers spoke to the vast majority of those who saw it... they just watched it and forgot that it existed (sort of like when your mother used to nag you to do something, her words would just go out the other ear Very Happy)... that will not be a film people revisit or show to their children one day. don't fool yourself and think it will be remembered in history because it stole money out of our wallets... also, avatar was a dud since day one... the lukewarm reception it now has is justified. that is another film i had absolutely no interest in seeing twice... i could only stomach the pocahontis and heavy handed environmental message once, thanks.

at any rate, this fad and production of superhero films will reach its peak within the next couple of years and eventually come to an end (it already has for me. i won't be fooled any longer and buy into the hype. i find myself regretting my ticket purchase more often than not with these shallow superhero films)... the general population will eventually burn out on the novelty of it all as well. by the way, who is going to see ant man? i'd be surprised if that does well critically or financially. i keep getting flashbacks of honey, i shrunk the kids! with that one Very Happy
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Perhaps the reason why I get so worked up when I see people start leaping on complaining about whatever is the most popular Hollywood movie at the time is that I am a populist. Age of Ultron will likely not be in the top 50 or even top 100 movies this year from Hollywood as far as critical reception goes, but it has grossed tremendously well, and I have to wonder if some of this vitriol is due to sour grapes or misanthropy. Whatever the case, money talks, Ultron was able to speak to the masses, and there will be many more movies like this one on the horizon. Then again, the Internet seems to have turned against James Cameron's Avatar. I wonder if this will be a pattern for movies--and directors--capable of consistently topping $1 billion at the box office before home video even happens.

For all the fans saying "Oo, pretty blue alien eye!" when the Avatar poster came out, the majority thought it was going to be Cameron's own loopy indulgence-bomb Jupiter Ascending before it came out, just because the on-paper concept sounded so corny.
Back when a movie spent months in theaters because fans had to go see it again and take friends, keeping movie fandom going was more of a cult discipline that united us (which is why those of us in the Original Generation remember the Star Wars trilogy as "holy")--But now that movies have a week or two in May or November to audition themselves for Blu-ray sales, we're more critical. And if Avatar or Avengers 2 has visual spectacle but script problems, the spectacle is going to be shorter lasting and we're going to focus on the longer-range problems.

Quote:
Now, Tomorrowland--THAT is mediocrity (critically, at least--it was an utter failure financially).

(Disney spent an entire year teasing us with the viral online/real-location Optimist game to introduce the heroine and concept, which fairly dripped with retro-Disney references to Walt, 60's Disneyland, and the '64 World's Fair. Will somebody please make that movie instead, because most of us went in thinking they were? Why did the game make us search out the Carousel of Progress, and Walt's old favorite restaurant table in Burbank, if his name was barely even mentioned in the movie?)

Xristophoros wrote:
at any rate, this fad and production of superhero films will reach its peak within the next couple of years and eventually come to an end (it already has for me. i won't be fooled any longer and buy into the hype. i find myself regretting my ticket purchase more often than not with these shallow superhero films)... the general population will eventually burn out on the novelty of it all as well. by the way, who is going to see ant man? i'd be surprised if that does well critically or financially. i keep getting flashbacks of honey, i shrunk the kids! with that one Very Happy

The only "fad" we have is the two other "Cheap" studios thinking they can make Marvel movies too--and Warner lining up one misfired funereal Nolan/Snyder DC after another--but it hasn't stopped Marvel/Disney, who at least knows their craft. (Any more than bad Dreamworks CGI movies have stopped Pixar, but they've certainly stopped Dreamworks.)
What "killed off" the first Superhero Movie Wave 1.0, from '00 -> '03 (X-Men 1 -> Ang Lee's Hulk) was the wave of "cheap" movies that didn't fit our audience momentum over the big-budget dedication of Singer's X-Men or Rami's Spiderman. Which is why we all raged at a low-budget Daredevil, a Nic Cage Ghost Rider, the Catwoman disaster of Warner trying to jumpstart their Batman franchise with a badly-thought-out studio memo, two Fantastic Four movies that insultingly abused the privilege of being "tongue in cheek", and even Raimi giving us his own director-sequel disaster of Spiderman 3.
Now, ironically, we have a privilege-abusing Fantastic Four "reboot" that has Fox panicking, Sony's rapidly sinking Spiderman-reboot ship after Amazing 2, Warner's badly-thought-out BatVs.Supe movie that has audiences jeering the trailer, a low-budget Daredevil that fans say is pretty good anyway, and...oh, don't even ask about the under-the-radar Deadpool movie coming in February-dump like Ghost Rider did. Seriously.

I get a bit nervous when history repeats itself, but part of history was Marvel giving us their own movie with a character no one had heard of back then, and reminding us how it was done.
Which is why I'm not that worried about Ant-Man, even though the movie arrived a bit late to be useful. (And it ended up being Stark, not Pym, who had to invent Ultron.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:

at any rate, this fad and production of superhero films will reach its peak within the next couple of years and eventually come to an end (it already has for me. i won't be fooled any longer and buy into the hype. i find myself regretting my ticket purchase more often than not with these shallow superhero films)... the general population will eventually burn out on the novelty of it all as well.

I don't think that's gonna happen. People say the same thing about moe or SOL, and it keeps on going season after season. This will be the same; Marvel already has movies planned out all the way up to at least 2028. Not every one of those will be a blockbuster or even a success, but it's the new "serial TV series" that people want except it's in the movies every few months instead of a weekly TV series.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
, two Fantastic Four movies that insultingly abused the privilege of being "tongue in cheek",

The Fantastic Four failed, because it treated Doctor Doom as some metal alien life form, instead of the evil genius he was. He also has some ability with the mystical arts.

Personally, I liked the cast of the Fantastic Four, but they so screwed with Doctor Doom.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

despite how i may have sounded in my post, i enjoy live action films, anime, television (not network, but hbo, amc, showtime, etc) and videogames pretty well equally. i'm not a closed minded person who picks on hollywood because i see it to be inferior to anime.

avengers 2 was just a poorly plotted, paced and written film no matter how you look at it. the new characters were lame and had no growth in the entire film. tony stark is probably the most annoying character of the bunch. he fails to evolve and is so one dimensional that he nearly put me sleep mid sentence. how many one liners can a person take? the same applies to the rest of the lot who fail to grow or give me a single reason to give a damn about them... and people complain about character tropes in anime? after the first big set piece i nearly lost all interest in the film. the only redeeming scene was the hulk fight. most people who i speak to feel the same way.

don't fool yourself and think it will be remembered in history because it stole money out of our wallets... also, avatar was a dud since day one... the lukewarm reception it now has is justified. that is another film i had absolutely no interest in seeing twice... i could only stomach the pocahontis and heavy handed environmental message once, thanks.

I will be going to see Ant-Man, actually. At least if I don't forget to do that (which is completely unrelated to the quality of the movie I intend to watch; I just don't think about going to movie theaters too often).

As mentioned before though, Age of Ultron stands at 74% on Rotten Tomatoes, so the critics tend to like it. Among the negative reviews though, I do see many of the criticisms you have with the movie and with the MCU in general. I also seem to be hanging with a different group than you are, as Age of Ultron and Spy are currently the talk of the town among my acquaintances offline. Of course, I also live near Hollywood and Burbank. I do think it's a heavily flawed movie, but it didn't bore me (like with Shrek the Third--I thought Shrek 4 was fantastic though), nor did it frustrate me (like with Cars 2).

I should probably ask you: What is your line for it doing well "critically" or "financially"? (I take it for the latter, it's that its gross exceeds its budget.)

By the way, I also enjoyed James Cameron's Avatar. I didn't see it in theaters though, just on home video. Considering Avatar did not have a staple IP to lean on and comparatively little star power, how did THAT gross a billion dollars? James Cameron's name alone isn't that big. On the other hand, The Lone Ranger DOES have an IP people remember (if not that much), has a star-studded cast, and was trying very, very hard to be Pirates of the Caribbean, and that tanked hard.

In order for a movie to gross well at the box office, it has to be something a large number of people actually enjoy and would be interested in seeing, even if that interest wanes rapidly (as with the Star Wars prequel trilogies--they weren't critically blasted when they were new, especially not Revenge of the Sith, which I was hearing people sing praise for for months, if not years). But rapidly-waning interest doesn't matter to a big studio if that interest is huge, because it brings in money.

Personally, I feel that Age of Ultron appeals to children very well with the big action, the straightforward storytelling, and the recognizable characters. The Marvel merchanidse flies off the shelves too.

enurtsol wrote:
I don't think that's gonna happen. People say the same thing about moe or SOL, and it keeps on going season after season. This will be the same; Marvel already has movies planned out all the way up to at least 2028. Not every one of those will be a blockbuster or even a success, but it's the new "serial TV series" that people want except it's in the movies every few months instead of a weekly TV series.

Yeah, at this point I'm treating it more like a TV series you pay $8 to $18 per episode. I'm sure some others have too. And with TV series, their formulaicness is an asset because people watch TV episodes expecting certain things and will be disappointed unless those things are there (or lampshaded and/or subverted in obvious ways). People go in watching Seinfeld expecting to see pointless conversations, the main characters being jerks to each other and to everyone else, and mild levels of comeuppance for being jerks. People watch South Park expecting to see swearing, toilet humor, social commentary, and surreal plots. I think people go into a Marvel movie expecting big action sequences, snarky dialogue, a villain that either uses the same powers or has history with one of the main characters, and a modernized comic book aesthetic. At least, I think that's how teenagers and adults are doing it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think people go into a Marvel movie expecting big action sequences, snarky dialogue, a villain that either uses the same powers or has history with one of the main characters, and a modernized comic book aesthetic. At least, I think that's how teenagers and adults are doing it.

I think it was all defined in 2008, the year we had the big artistic schism that probably won't be resolved until only one of the two remains standing (and we know who that will be, don't we, kiddies? Cool ):

Back in summer '08, critics--mostly mainstream grownup critics who couldn't name three members of the Avengers, and even more who thought they were Mr. Steed & Mrs. Peel--fell all over themselves to praise the "dark, gritty, relevant" Dark Knight, mostly because it wiped away the memory of all those goofy Joel Schumacher Batman movies.
And what was the critic term parroted most often by the fans?: "It's different from the genre!--It doesn't LOOK like a comic-book movie!"
Okay, that brings up the $500M question: What, in 2008, did we think "the genre" was that Nolan's movie was "different" from it, and what did we think a comic-book movie "looked like"? Well, fresh in our '08 memory, that would probably be the two Fantastic Four movies we all cringed over, the goofy Ghost Rider, the low-budget Daredevil that everyone burned at the stake for having Ben Affleck in it, and yes, at least a few people brought up Batman & Robin every other paragraph.
That same summer, the other comic-book company had their big movie, a month earlier: Iron Man. A character with no bad-movie baggage, who came out of nowhere but classic print-comic canon, gave us the Marvel trademark of a realistically quirky-flawed hero who sets out to be a hero without being a psycho, had a director who respected the source material and a studio who wanted to translate it faithfully to people who were hearing the story for the first time, and got the same full-on experience that a kid reading the original comic for the first time would get. Didn't do quite as well as Dark Knight, but did rather well for its summer, IIRC.

The question now is, what do we think "a comic-book movie looks like" today--Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel, or Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy?
Answer's changed a bit in seven years, hasn't it?

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

the hype leading up to avatar was enormous! james cameron had not released a film since 1997. we all know how much of an impact titanic had on the population... it shattered every record in film history and was a pretty enjoyable movie at that... overly dramatic and hocky dialogue? sure... but the set pieces, special fx and attention paid to the smallest of details was very impressive. the cast of characters were charming... people loved it immensely... i knew of people who saw it in the theatre more than 5 times! at any rate, the anticipation for his next film had been brewing for well over a decade. not to mention, avatar was the first film to utilize 3d technology... that was another factor that contributed to the hype and its financial success. in other words, everyone was going to see avatar whether it was good or not. rotten tomatoes is a good site for general reference, but you should also look at the average rating score listed... it currently sits at 83% fresh but only has a rating of 7.4/10. the 10 point critic score is a pretty good indicator of the quality of the movie in my opinion since it is less vague. imdb is also good for reference, the difference being those ratings are scored by the general public and not professionals... the validity is questionable at best due to the extreme bias and unprofessional scores that can often be found.

i don't think it is fair to compare lone ranger to a marvel property and expect the same financial success Very Happy comic book heroes were iconic and a staple of pop culture well before they made the jump to hollywood. we are talking about 75+ years of fanboyism with the likes of superman and batman and over 50+ years for marvel properties such as x-men... the number of fans out there for this kind of stuff is enormous. not to mention, they are some of the most passionate people out there. i stand by what i said in that they will see their favourite superheroes at the cinema whether the film is well received by the critics or not (obviously, an abysmal movie such as catwoman which has a 10% rating on rotten tomatoes cannot be saved, even by the fans... but even a 40% movie such as daredevil did just fine. for a mediocre film it made over $100 million as well as a healthy profit)... as for another example of what a strong fanbase can do for a mediocre franchise, look no further than the twilight series... twilight: new moon has a 28% rating and was panned by every critic yet it grossed over $700 million worldwide at the box office. it had a budget of only $50 million... need i say more?

as for the best way to measure financial success? it should always be measured on how profitable the film is, not necessarily how much it earned at the box office. that will determine whether or not a particular type of film was viable for the studio and if we will get more films like it in the future... at the end of the day, enjoy whatever it is you enjoy. critical reception to something is always a great reference point and makes my decisions easier on whether or not to watch something (75%+ is usually pretty safe)... but by no means is that the be all end all formula. even mediocre movies may have aspects that are enjoyable... conversely, highly praised movies may be over hyped and lead to disappointment if it did not resonate with you.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I also figured that a super high profile Hollywood live action movie getting mentioned on ANN is going to get a lot of hate. Nothing wrong with that--I long realized anime fans are far, far off the mainstream. (And this is why, for those of you who want anime to be mainstream, it's going to take a long while for that to happen, if it happens at all. An anime fan's tastes are pretty different than that of the typical American moviegoer. Just as it seems a number of anime fans find normal Hollywood fare as off-putting and annoying, or at least that's the impression I get, if you go to a forum of Hollywood movie fans, you get similar reactions of disgust if anime ever comes up as a topic.

Not quite, I talked to Hollywood movie fans regarding many anime films. Many movie buffs have watched dozens of anime films, usually Ghibli, Kon, Hosoda and Oshii. In fact I became a hardcore fan of animation and graphic fiction thanks to my discovery of Miyazaki since I was mostly fan of American media less than 4 years ago.

Of course, some ignorant movie fans are disgusted but they are ignorant and prejudiced. The reaction of disgust is different than those of anime fans regarding mediocre hollywood movies. Anime fans know Hollywood and much better than any film critic knows anime. I have watched more hours of Hollywood than anime in fact, and, well, I enjoy most hollywood movies, though they are usually very simple and superficial things, made to appeal to a global audience, hence maximizing wideness in appeal and hence becoming superificial and bland in the process.

Quote:
And in Hollywood itself, anime as a topic ends conversations. I've tried. Repeatedly. If you want anime to be mainstream, then you're going to have to make compromises so as to appeal to a wide audience.)

I don't think anime and hollywood are that different. Anime is essentially adaptations of manga, manga is Japan's dominant medium for popular culture, so anime is a reflection of mainstream Japanese culture.

Hollywood is one of the dominant dimensions of US popular culture (though it's influenced decreased in the last decades due to the rise of cable TV, internet and videogames). Both anime and hollywood usually appeal to young audiences.

Main difference is that anime is Japanese and appeals to Japanese audiences. While Hollywood blockbusters these days are made for a global audience, hence they lose their cultural value and artistic significance becoming bland products of entertainment.

Anime will never be mainstream in the US and in the Western world in general. It's foreign, alien in terms of sensibilities, to the western mind. The US is specially hostile to foreign cultural influences as well (it's well known in fact).

Quote:
Then again, the Internet seems to have turned against James Cameron's Avatar. I wonder if this will be a pattern for movies--and directors--capable of consistently topping $1 billion at the box office before home video even happens.

Problem is that Hollywood blockbusters have declined in quality over the past decades as well, Avatar, extremely dumb film made for the global masses, is symptomatic of that phenomena, James Cameron said he made it for the hardcore science fiction fan, well, I am a hardcore science fiction fan and I enjoyed it mostly on the unintentional comedy of being so stupid. Though I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings trilogy a lot, it was truly something superior to the usual Hollywood product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
rotten tomatoes is a good site for general reference, but you should also look at the average rating score listed... it currently sits at 83% fresh but only has a rating of 7.4/10.

7.4 doesn't seem that bad to me. It's not like with game reviews, where a score of 7 indicates an average, or maybe above average game. As far as I know, a truly average movie would get a rating between 4 and 6.

But you do bring up a good point about a movie having an already established fanbase to turn to. (Provided that fanbase isn't incredibly shattered and disdainful towards Hollywood in general. Scott Pilgrimvs. the World bombed at the box office, for instance, I'd bet because the fandom for Scott Pilgrim is not only a pretty small one, but one that prefers to pirate movies rather than paying to watch them.) I am sure that's why we've had a remarkable uptick in adaptations of famous IPs from other media.

Jose Cruz wrote:
I don't think anime and hollywood are that different. Anime is essentially adaptations of manga, manga is Japan's dominant medium for popular culture, so anime is a reflection of mainstream Japanese culture.

Hollywood is one of the dominant dimensions of US popular culture (though it's influenced decreased in the last decades due to the rise of cable TV, internet and videogames). Both anime and hollywood usually appeal to young audiences.

Main difference is that anime is Japanese and appeals to Japanese audiences. While Hollywood blockbusters these days are made for a global audience, hence they lose their cultural value and artistic significance becoming bland products of entertainment.

Anime will never be mainstream in the US and in the Western world in general. It's foreign, alien in terms of sensibilities, to the western mind. The US is specially hostile to foreign cultural influences as well (it's well known in fact).

Problem is that Hollywood blockbusters have declined in quality over the past decades as well, Avatar, extremely dumb film made for the global masses, is symptomatic of that phenomena, James Cameron said he made it for the hardcore science fiction fan, well, I am a hardcore science fiction fan and I enjoyed it mostly on the unintentional comedy of being so stupid. Though I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings trilogy a lot, it was truly something superior to the usual Hollywood product.

When I say "in Hollywood," I mean "in Hollywood," as in speaking to people in the business itself. To the older people, anime is this new and scary thing that young people of the 90's and 00's were into that they could not comprehend. To younger people, it was this big force that they stayed away from. I could detect a hint of resentment if the word "anime" was ever brought up, in a similar way you'd expect a vampire to react to garlic. It is basically a fandom rivalry--people join the film and TV business because they love film and TV, and the segment of the business they're in tends to be the ones they're the biggest fans of.

As for Hollywood blockbusters decliing in quality, there is no denying that there has been a shift in tone. I cannot remember the name of the article in the Los Angeles Times, but one of the newspaper's critics wrote an article pointing out that every major Hollywood studio has shifted from small, humble movies about individuals and everyday life to nothing but big, special-effects heavy action. Talks with insiders show that the strategy is that the latter type of films cost a LOT more money and thus fail to turn a profit more often, but when they do turn a profit, they rake in hundreds of millions of dollars, more than making up for other failures. That is, making six movies for $30 million and bringing in $60 million is good, but they'd rather make one $180 million film that brings in $1 billion, even if three other $180 million films don't turn a profit. And it all comes down to the money. And the technology available. Me, I like big action set pieces, so I'm no less satisfied with today's movies than I was in earlier decades. But I do see a problem here with how Hollywood is now run. To quote Sunset Boulevard, under today's system, everyone "would've turned down Gone with the Wind." (Albeit for a different reason than the main character in Sunset Boulevard called out the secretary for.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
But you do bring up a good point about a movie having an already established fanbase to turn to. (Provided that fanbase isn't incredibly shattered and disdainful towards Hollywood in general. Scott Pilgrimvs. the World bombed at the box office, for instance, I'd bet because the fandom for Scott Pilgrim is not only a pretty small one, but one that prefers to pirate movies rather than paying to watch them.) I am sure that's why we've had a remarkable uptick in adaptations of famous IPs from other media.

I had never heard of Scott Pilgrim in my life, but was besieged with gamer and cult-comic fanboys saying "Oh man, they're FINALLY FILMING Scott Pilgrim! (swoon!)", as if this was now the cultural epiphany of the century.
I suspect I was not the only mainstream person who did a blink-pause and said, "And...that's something good, right? No, seriously, I'm asking. Confused "
("Freakin' YEAH! It's as good as Zack Snyder finally filming Sucker Punch!")

To break out of that ghetto of public blink-puzzlement, a faithful adaptation must not only tribute, it must also persuade the agnostics. (Which is a problem Snyder also ran into with Watchmen and serious-Superman.) To be honest, even I had never heard of that goofy comic with the tree-guy and the trigger-happy raccoon in my life, no matter how many hardcore fans were saying "Rocket, freak-yeah!"
Otherwise, you may run into the problem that everyone in the world who's heard of the property enough to want to see it will run out to see it the first week, causing it to plummet off a cliff the second week when nobody else bothers, like Fifty Shades of Gray did. Razz
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now WTF would have noticed that? That's some "Easter Egg".
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
When I say "in Hollywood," I mean "in Hollywood," as in speaking to people in the business itself. To the older people, anime is this new and scary thing that young people of the 90's and 00's were into that they could not comprehend. To younger people, it was this big force that they stayed away from. I could detect a hint of resentment if the word "anime" was ever brought up, in a similar way you'd expect a vampire to react to garlic. It is basically a fandom rivalry--people join the film and TV business because they love film and TV, and the segment of the business they're in tends to be the ones they're the biggest fans of.

I see. I was thinking in terms of fans.

Quote:
As for Hollywood blockbusters decliing in quality, there is no denying that there has been a shift in tone. I cannot remember the name of the article in the Los Angeles Times, but one of the newspaper's critics wrote an article pointing out that every major Hollywood studio has shifted from small, humble movies about individuals and everyday life to nothing but big, special-effects heavy action. Talks with insiders show that the strategy is that the latter type of films cost a LOT more money and thus fail to turn a profit more often, but when they do turn a profit, they rake in hundreds of millions of dollars, more than making up for other failures. That is, making six movies for $30 million and bringing in $60 million is good, but they'd rather make one $180 million film that brings in $1 billion, even if three other $180 million films don't turn a profit. And it all comes down to the money. And the technology available. Me, I like big action set pieces, so I'm no less satisfied with today's movies than I was in earlier decades. But I do see a problem here with how Hollywood is now run. To quote Sunset Boulevard, under today's system, everyone "would've turned down Gone with the Wind." (Albeit for a different reason than the main character in Sunset Boulevard called out the secretary for.)

Thing is that for me the big budget special effects blockbuster movies declined in quality as well. Let's see what we had 30 years ago in special effects/sci fi/action blockbuster movies:

1977 - Star Wars
1979 - Alien, Encounters of the Third Kind
1980 - Empire
1981 - Road Warrior
1982 - E.T., Wrath of Khan, Blade Runner
1983 - Jedi
1984 - Terminator, Dune
1985 - Back to the Future

These movies were glorious and had atmosphere and personality. Today is all this bland superhero mediocrity. IMO decline was not just lack of personal films but also lack of good original genre movies. Now everything is a sequel: Mad Max 4, Terminator 5, Jurassic Park 4, Star Wars 7, bland-marvel superhero movie 27, etc.

2005-2014 was so much, much weaker than 1977-1986, in terms of English speaking genre movies. My favorite genre movie from the last decade I think is Interestellar, which is pretty good but nothing on the level of the movies above (even Dune is better).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Otherwise, you may run into the problem that everyone in the world who's heard of the property enough to want to see it will run out to see it the first week, causing it to plummet off a cliff the second week when nobody else bothers, like Fifty Shades of Gray did. Razz

Or anime in Japan usually

Jose Cruz wrote:

These movies were glorious and had atmosphere and personality. Today is all this bland superhero mediocrity. IMO decline was not just lack of personal films but also lack of good original genre movies. Now everything is a sequel: Mad Max 4, Terminator 5, Jurassic Park 4, Star Wars 7, bland-marvel superhero movie 27, etc.

It's the new serial TV series in the movies. People like serials now instead of episodic; they like to follow a story over a longer period of time. Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Fast & Furious, Divergent series, etc.
(Even Star Wars/Jedi is a trilogy, Back to the Future, Terminator, Road Warrior/Mad Max film series, etc. Dune was a critical and box office bomb though.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2