• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

And here we see the dangers of keeping your kids too sheltered and repressed. If you don't teach them how to handle their urges it'll blow up in their faces.

As a comedy this show is 'amusing' rather than 'funny.' I actually do take it seriously and thus enjoy it more for its social commentary.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Anna stole the episode/show for me this week. I mean...yeah that scene in the dark room with the panties covering the MC's head and those lewd moments.

Anyways, I wonder how long those instincts of hers will last!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
And here we see the dangers of keeping your kids too sheltered and repressed. If you don't teach them how to handle their urges it'll blow up in their faces.

I am actually having a bit of difficulty with understanding what it was they were trying to convey here. We have seen this kind of scene a lot before -- repressed character breaks free -- but this seemed more surreal than anything. It was almost like a psychotic episode where the afflicted person doesn't even remember what they did.

To cap it off after the credits Anna has that really weird conversation with Fuwa. She is definitely mentally maladjusted.

To get even more weird was the "enhanced PIC" concept presented by Anna's mother. You are left to imagine how that is supposed to work, not only for its stated purpose but how someone is supposed to live their other life activities while wearing that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I.... don't think that was saliva.

But, this actually got me to laugh, specifically ending with such things like him freaking out from underwear, the dirty Ayame shocked by his penis, the supposed pure Anna on cloud nine. Watching the ED with him horrified of what we now see as an accurate depiction of a lewd Anna really was funny.

And then we had the end that kind of drilled it home in another way. This not only some joke or ecchi delivery system, Anna is crazy, and it is because she is a product of the messed up system of not understanding. Indeed she was pretty much raping him. it was quite an intense "love making" scene. So question of the series as "hot" or "horrifying"?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Anna is crazy, and it is because she is a product of the messed up system of not understanding. Indeed she was pretty much raping him. it was quite an intense "love making" scene. So question of the series as "hot" or "horrifying"?

I go with #2 since #1 wasn't there for me at all. The part of it that I think was meant to be humorous was pretty remote to me. The horrifying part of it was not so much what she was doing to him (bad enough) but that she seemed to have absolutely no idea of what she was doing to him.

Having thought about it some more if the writer is trying to make a point it must be that the supreme perversion of the value system in the world is that they have accepted that ignorance means purity and virtue. That isn't exactly a new theme but if that is what it is I think they illustrated it pretty effectively.

Quote:
specifically ending with such things like him freaking out from underwear, the dirty Ayame shocked by his penis

I am reading a bit of inconsistency about this. Although the walk-in was probably the funniest part about it it seems inconsistent given Ayame's past dialog and behavior for her to react like that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I am reading a bit of inconsistency about this. Although the walk-in was probably the funniest part about it it seems inconsistent given Ayame's past dialog and behavior for her to react like that.

Well maybe it is that she is more innocent then she lets on. She likes telling dirty jokes and saying dirty words, but maybe her freaking out over a penis is why we don't see her giving out much in terms of pictures of naked men. Well accept apparently that one mushroom picture. Like the opposite of Anna or something.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Being okay with the idea of something is different then coming face to face with the real thing.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
While Ayame's reaction is probably due to a quirk of character where she can talk the talk but not walk the walk as several commenters before me have suggested, I'm also entertaining the idea that she was trying to remain in-character until Anna was well out of picture.

In either case, I'm more interested in how our protagonist is going to cope with his virtuous angel sexually assaulting him.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
In either case, I'm more interested in how our protagonist is going to cope with his virtuous angel sexually assaulting him.

Surprised it took so long for someone to mention it as assault... I mean, that was basically an interrupted rape.

I was wondering if they'd dance around a point in thier satire but it seems like this is making it clear. The big point is showing through, "repressing sexual urges causes worse deviancy than openness". Anna has no understanding of how to deal with her sudden urges, and I'm pretty sure what they'll reveal Gōriki's issue to be is not that he's attracted to Okuma, but that he's attracted to a cross-dressed Okuma.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Man, that was the dirtiest looking cave entrance I ever saw. Lol.

Although logic is hardly this anime's strong suit there do seem to be reasons cropping up to keep watching. It would seem that Anna is actually and fully off the deep end now, but likely the story is going to use her somehow to come to resolution. I am curious to see how.

Also, am I imagining it or are Ayame's dirty jokes actually getting better?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

I wonder when or if Anna will ever get over her lust for the MC. I mean at this point, she is trying to give her "love nectar"...to Tanukichi. And of course, we all know what that is. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I am kind of loving this show at this point, which I really did not think would happen. A big part has to be how Anna has turned out, she is insane, I would like to think that there are fetishes for this, but what she is doing is really creepy/horrifying/disgusting. Making the object of her affection consume her "love juices", I was telling the screen not to eat those cookies, and she is getting quite yandere. I feel that it is a good move that a show that is dirty can get the audience on tuned in via setting up such a pure character and than showing that there is a healthy amount of ero by making that person show an unhealthy amount. That he can somewhat fight back is making it better than it would otherwise.

Was also quite happy that the episode addressed the general female interest too, some of the girls mentioned some BL pictures. I think I remember a similar topic being brought up when Yamada's First Time (B Gata H Kei) that some (healthy) interest in sex really is not that showcased out of some standard jokes. Of course we have the main character, but oddly I think it is a little different. Sure Ayame says a lot of dirty, but it kind of feels like it is not a lust thing, she largely justlikes just expressing dirty thoughts/jokes she has, maybe talk a bit about personal matters, and make him uncomfortable. Just the matter of how she reacted to seeing his thing points to her big contrast to the lust side.

I thought that of breaking idolization to the opposite was something that especially had meaning.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

LOL Anna. Oh boy, another episode with her and that lewd behavior of hers. She just can't seem control it at all by this point. And of course, jealousy strikes...

What's with the vibrator though? I wonder if the show will cover every single idea from the old book.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Okuma is well and truly out of denial on the hell he has found himself in. It's also nice to see the show taking the mission to educate seriously and including actual recipes.

Originally, I was a little disappointed with the episode but after thinking about it more, there's some good characterization for Ayame, and to a lesser extent Okuma, in this episode. It doesn't drive things forward quite as much as previous episodes, but it also feels like the start of a new arc so I guess that's to be expected.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
What an educational ED
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6