• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Fairy Tail: The Grand Magic Games

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
luckily we all know what happens. however for those that haven't read the manga or arent die hard sub pursuits , lets just say the twists in this arc will have everyone scratching and will definitely leave a sour taste in some people's mouths for those that are fans of jelall's new guild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Whoever wrote this clearly didn't pay enough attention to the show, because Sting is NOT the guild master. spoiler[Not at this point in the story, anyway.] If he were, he wouldn't even BE in the games. Why else would Raven Tail get disqualified? You know, apart from the rampant cheating and violation of the 1-on-1 rule of the match between Laxus and Ivan?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
This set has some of my favorite episodes. It reminded me why I love this show.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I got bored partway through this. The prophecy thing seemed a little cliche and I was especially angry with how poorly the Grand Magic Games were held. Quite frankly one problem I had with this show was its huge cast of characters. That made it really hard for me to care about anyone. There was an issue of character power too. I know Erza is powerful, but spoiler[her defeating 100 monsters by herself just seemed like too big of a stretch for me]. You have Bacchus who is introduced to supposedly be very strong since even Erza is alerted, but then spoiler[he loses to Elfman on Fairy Tail. Should I also talk about the bet they made? How dare Elfman bet his two sisters just so that if he won the opponent guild would change their name. Shame on you, Elfman. ] And that was just about how far I got. It's been fun watching Fairy Tail, but I think this is where I drop out.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Quote:
The prophecy thing seemed a little cliche
That might be true, but that's the way Carla's Precognition works. She's had visions all throughout the show, nothing strange about it here.
Quote:
but spoiler[her defeating 100 monsters by herself just seemed like too big of a stretch for me].
Considering the fact that many characters in the show like to think Erza is a Monster in her own right denotes just how powerful she is. I think you might be underestimating Erza a little.
Quote:
You have Bacchus who is introduced to supposedly be very strong since even Erza is alerted, but then spoiler[he loses to Elfman on Fairy Tail.]
Did you not watch the fight? Elfman couldn't lay a finger on Bacchus. And his drunken Chop Hanging Palm strikes are powerful and fast. Elfman had to rely on his Lizard Beast Soul's scales as armor and took a beating until Bacchus' arms got torn up. Elfman only just barely won because he was able to stand up by the end.
Quote:
Should I also talk about the bet they made? How dare Elfman bet his two sisters just so that if he won the opponent guild would change their name. Shame on you, Elfman.
Elfman never actually agrees to the bet until he mentions the prize if he wins. Elfman says, "A real man doesn't tolerate that kind of disrespect." Elfman didn't bet his sisters, Bacchus wanted them.
Quote:
And that was just about how far I got. It's been fun watching Fairy Tail, but I think this is where I drop out.
It's disappointing that you feel that way. I really feel like you are missing out on some great stuff. The Dragon King Festival arc coming up after the games is one of the best, imo. But it's whatevs. I suppose Fairy Tail isn't for everyone.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
Considering the fact that many characters in the show like to think Erza is a Monster in her own right denotes just how powerful she is. I think you might be underestimating Erza a little.

Maybe I am, but I just know that when I saw the segment it was so disappointing. The whole event sounded good, but then Erza comes in and ends it so abruptly. I felt like I didn't get my money's worth.
Quote:
Did you not watch the fight? Elfman couldn't lay a finger on Bacchus. And his drunken Chop Hanging Palm strikes are powerful and fast. Elfman had to rely on his Lizard Beast Soul's scales as armor and took a beating until Bacchus' arms got torn up. Elfman only just barely won because he was able to stand up by the end.

I don't care what anyone says, Elfman is probably the weakest and least unique character in the guild. Sure, he has transforming armor and whatever, but I never really felt emotionally attached to him and he was always a side character, never making it to the rank of Natsu or Gray. His whole "Macho Man" and "Be a Man" attitude just bores me to death. The fact that Bacchus lost to him means that he couldn't even beat the weakest in Fairy Tail.
Quote:
Elfman never actually agrees to the bet until he mentions the prize if he wins. Elfman says, "A real man doesn't tolerate that kind of disrespect." Elfman didn't bet his sisters, Bacchus wanted them.

Elfman gave a counter as to what prize he wanted when he won, which is just about agreeing to me. Bacchus wanted his sisters, and he betted them. Did Elfman expect to bet and not hold up his side of the promise if he lost? Because that would be going against his whole character.
Quote:
It's disappointing that you feel that way. I really feel like you are missing out on some great stuff. The Dragon King Festival arc coming up after the games is one of the best, imo. But it's whatevs. I suppose Fairy Tail isn't for everyone.

Yeah, eventually it wears out. Long running series aren't for me anyway.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
i wouldnt say that. sure its long but it got nothing compared to the mammoth 600+ eps that one piece have or the over 300+ eps naruto shippuden have,and if you count the original , it would have joined OP at the over 600 mark. and of course there's pokemon which is unfortunately the anime version of the simpsons. so believe me, there are a lot longer anime series that are currently running than fairy tail by far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
What bothered me the most with this arc was the shortcuts the animation took most of the time. They sacrificed potentially awesome fights like Jura vs Laxus or Jellal vs Jura. Which ended up as (talking, a little bit of action, dramatic freeze frame, rinse and repeat), which disappointed me because they hyped up these damn fights only to cheap out with them. Of course they dedicated themselves more on important plot related fights. I can understand that, but I found myself not giving a damn for those fights because I already know Fairy Tail's going to win which makes me rather see these ''dream'' fights between these uber powerful characters. The dragon festival arc was also done poorly and resolved WAY too quickly. It like they felt the arc was going on too long and needed to wrap it up quickly for some reason. Unfortunately with that, we had some plot holes like how Lucy for no explained reason is just suddenly entranced by the stupid giant doors. At the end of the day, I think the budget was just too small to really do these two arcs justice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1