• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Low-Down Dirty Pair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
I prefer the original Dirty Pair over Flash. While the character designs for Flash were jarring, I could have lived with it, if it still had the spirit of the original. Which for me it didn't.

Adam Warren's Dirty Pair was the true sequel to the original Dirty Pair.

Still hoping Adam Warren might revisit Dirty Pair again, while still doing Empowered. Which I love too.

Quote:
entertain visiting author A. Bertram Chandler (noted for creating the pulpy, dimension-hopping sailor John Grimes)

One of my favorite Sci-Fi authors. I believe I got all his books. At least I hope I do. John Grimes would make for some good anime too.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Adam Warren's Dirty Pair was the true sequel to the original Dirty Pair.

Still hoping Adam Warren might revisit Dirty Pair again, while still doing Empowered. Which I love too.

You and me both. I miss his Dirty Pair comics, they were awesome.

I'm too much of harden to think Japan would try fully revive the Dirty Pair.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Shinobu1985 wrote:
They changed the music, a lot of the effects

They did that because the original music and effects tracks were lost, and had to create a brand new audio track from the ground up for the dub.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I loved Project Eden because it's pretty much a collection of random 80's sci-fi scenarios
Every time the mad scientist showed up or was mentioned, a woman would 'seductively' whisper "Wattmans" as though this was suddenly a Shaft film. Laughing

That's also from the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6NkWOf-xc

I still have the soundtrack CD, back from when you could actually buy such things off the shelf in Harvard Square. ( Sad )
I liked Kei's love theme for being an out-and-out plagiarism of St. Elmo's Fire's, and used to have the jazz-tap space-station opening BGM on my iPod, until...I found out it was a deliberate plagiarism of Gregory Hines's jazz-tap solo from the White Nights soundtrack. (By the same soundtrack guy, coincidentally enough.)
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I always thought it strange that I react so negatively towards the art style of Dirty Pair Flash, while I love the work that same character designer did on all of Yoshitomo Kometani's shows (Gao Gai Gar, Brigadoon, Betterman). Part of it may be simply a conservative reaction to iconic characters getting a makeover (though I enjoyed much more extreme makeovers than this). But I think that in the end the designs simply don't jive with the characters within the context of DPF itself: here you have these over the top colorful, cartoony designs, yet the characterisation of Kei and Yuri compared to the originals feels just so bland. it's a shame, because the scripts for DPF are certainly interesting, with a fair bit of Cowboy Bebop-style worldbuilding going on in the background.
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
After Lupin, Dirty Pair was my Gateway Drug into anime (Star Blazers, Speed Racer and Robotech not withstanding), so I'll always look back on it with nostalgia, despite it being kind of goofy at times.

As for flash - nope, didn't care for it. I got the discs from ADV, watched, let them sit and watched again - and it did nothing for me. Mind you, this was 15 years ago now, so perhaps my tastes have changed. But at the time, it was a total cold fish.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I love Dirty Pair, it was one first animes that really pulled me into the genre outside what was aired in the US. What change that was.

I'm grateful Mike Toole doving into the past, showing us the origin of the franchise. I won't have known they there was a wrestling duo out there that was the basis of the characters, it's not posted anywhere else.

I'm sad that franchise has not seen resurfacing, but i guess things being the way they are i don't think it would be as fun or as cool. Given mix viewership's tastes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

And of course, Star Trek references:

"Oneamisu Sector" is a Wings of Honneamise reference, right?

Dunno. It's not listed among the references. May just be another Japanese word based?
Great Nagow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
I would love to see a re-issue of the Dirty Pair comics. A Plague of Angels and Sim Hell were hilarious. There was this one seen where Kei and Yuri were in a karaoke bar, and started belting out "You want it all, but you can't have it..." by Faith No More. I still chuckle when I think about that.

Last edited by Great Nagow on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinobu1985

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This is a tale from the early days on anime in the US...
A couple of the art directors on the series were anime fans, and took any opportunity to throw in anime references. There is an episode where they even had DPs robot Namu as a probe in TNG.
The biggest reference was a martial arts arena with Urusei Yatsura all over it. Lum, Ataru...
And of course the violent race of Nausicaans.
I have more info if anyone is interested.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
Interesting backstory I never knew. Makes total sense, though. And yes, Dirty Pair was a great show because, exactly as you say, space bikinis aside, Kei and Yuri kicked absolute ass. Hyper-competent, hyper-confident.

Flash was definitely far inferior, and I say that as someone who watched Flash as one of my first anime purchases, and only watched the original series many years later. If I were going to have nostalgia for anything, it would be Flash, but the difference is clear.

I don't hate Flash at all, and I do remember it fondly, but there's no question which is the far greater piece of entertainment. The original is now counted as one of my favorite anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Shinobu1985 wrote:

The biggest reference was a martial arts arena with Urusei Yatsura all over it. Lum, Ataru...

Yep, the Anbo-jyutsu arena:

Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Dirty Pair was my first exposure to anime outside of what was shown on American television (Robotech, Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers), having seen a screening at the Atlanta Fantasy Fair in the late 80s. I later found out what I watched was a parody re-dub from Pinesalad Productions.

I have the complete Dirty Pair in my anime collection, from the TV series to, yes, Flash.

I don't understand all the hate towards Flash, however. I think of the Original and Flash as apples and oranges. Flash wasn't great, but it wasn't bad, either. The Mission 2 (as stated by ADV) episodes were particularly enjoyable.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed this article. When it comes to Haruka Takachiho works, I'm more of a Crusher Joe fan myself (when are we gonna drag Yas back into the director's chair and get some more of that animated?), but I enjoy the DP TV series a lot too. Gotta keep a finger on the freeze-frame button for all those references on the video screens and control panels.

As for ONEAMISE = Honneamise, I suspect it to be the case, but whether it's possible depends on which episode or OVA that image was taken from. Looking at the encyclopedia, "Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise" premiered on 3/14/87; DP TV came out in 1985, but there were OVAs released in 1987, 1988, and 1990.

One thing that's impressive about DP when compared to most other TV anime is just how much is going on on the screen at any given moment, as well as how much stuff happens per episode. Giving so much bang for the buck really helps it in the rewatchability department.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
As for ONEAMISE = Honneamise, I suspect it to be the case, but whether it's possible depends on which episode or OVA that image was taken from. Looking at the encyclopedia, "Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise" premiered on 3/14/87; DP TV came out in 1985, but there were OVAs released in 1987, 1988, and 1990.

That screenshot was from an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which also referenced The Dirty Pair. Note the "Kei" and "Yuri".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4