• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake Confirmed for PS4 Release First

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:
Wow. Pretty epic fangasm over here, but I can't pretend not to be slightly worried about things getting all dark and moody, with no crossdressing, parades, or turn based slapping contests anymore. Also, I want to explore every single building. But, still, the excitement wins out for now.

The turn-based slapping is what made the game for me Laughing

Requesting Easter Egg where you can get Tifa to deck the lady on the chin.

What's she all kung-fu for if she's going to play slapfight?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The turn-based slapping is what made the game for me is ruly a higthligh.
I agree Wink and the game is filled with random mini games (soon to be QTE´s) but i hope that they will use her more sensible design from AC. Her street fighting costume itself is well done though and can stay. She is my favorite female games character (with RE´s Jill right behind her) btw.
Every fan needs to read the fan-translated Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega as that one goes over all sorts of juice details. Tifa was the last character writers came up with, was originally supposed to wear pants and her sex scenes with Cloud (that can be avoided) was supposed to happen in the Chocobo stables but was deemed to "raunchy". Maybe this time?
Cloud is further a way different character in the original game then in most of his other/countless appearances and not an angsty and introverted mess. Gamers who only know him form KH will be very surprised and Joseph Campbell approves.

I would love to see a new OVA or anime by the team who did Last Order: Final Fantasy VII as that one was an "excellent" short. You never know...

Square Stock Jumps After Final Fantasy VII Remake Announcement Very Happy
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-final-fantasy-7-remake-boosts-square-enix-stock?abthid=5580787253bd0b1450000025
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Knoepfchen wrote:
Wow. Pretty epic fangasm over here, but I can't pretend not to be slightly worried about things getting all dark and moody, with no crossdressing, parades, or turn based slapping contests anymore. Also, I want to explore every single building. But, still, the excitement wins out for now.

The turn-based slapping is what made the game for me Laughing

Requesting Easter Egg where you can get Tifa to deck the lady on the chin.

What's she all kung-fu for if she's going to play slapfight?

What made that scene even more epic is the fact they were slapping each other on top of a cannon the size of a small town. It was completely hilarious in the spot where everyone is running around like crazy because Weapon is on the loose. If Square Enix doesn't keep this in the game, I'll be greatly disappointed.
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Thus the countdown to SE extinction begins. They ballsed up most FF games since FFX (being kind here) make it anything like Lightning Returns and we have a company suicide sometimes having people with degrees doing all the decision making gonna end up ruining a franchise
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Still recovering from those announcements, can't believe they finally did it, been waiting for this Smile Was so hyped as it was happening and how unbelievable it was that those things were happening last night.

Ambimunch wrote:
I was pretty excited, not gonna lie. There might have been back-flips involved!

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Almost burst a vein withholding my screams at half past three in the morning. Still giddy.

Back to reality though. I wonder when on earth this will be ready to come out.

Considering Nomura is directing it, 2025 probably

Laughing

I'd say considering S-E that's possible! (It's too early to get myself down!) But not gonna put all the blame on Nomura he was working on a bunch of stuff that got released while working on Versus and especially when S-E kept taking his team like 50 times to help XIV and XIII. With this being VII for obvious reasons hopefully S-E will understand it's development should be a priority not to take his team while he's making the game.
Thumpthump

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess its better than nothing...would really much rather have a remake of another game though *_*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

It says PS4, now, but you can bet MS will do what it can to stop it from being an 'exclusive'.

It'll go to the PC at least.
But if it's like any newly-coded modern FF game nowadays, yeah it may show up on the Xbox too. Squeenix can't be leaving all that money on the table - FF7 is a RPG that even non-RPG folks are familiar with.

Razor/Edge wrote:

Eh, another nostalgia cash grab. This game was great for it's time, but it fails in comparison to what's available today. I feel sorry for anyone who will playing it for the first time with too high of expectations. Everyone who played it as a kid will be in a nostalgia coma while younger kids will be wondering what the big deal is.

The worry is that there's not enough action for folks nowadays. People just don't want to sit and press buttons at leisure; they want some sense of urgency and lightning quick thinking and reflexes, get the blood pumping.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The company certainly struggled a lot during the last decade worth of content on the Japanese front and straight out lost relevance due to the high quality output of Bethesda and so on but the last few years showed a clear rebound in quality and this commitment to their most profitable and beloved single player game after a decade of teasing is welcomed even if unsurprising.

I don't think there's much overlap between demographics Bethesda and other C(W)RPG developers cover and JRPG crowd. If anything SE should blame their own decisions in regards of FF, plus, JRPG genre lost its popularity because of reasons beyond their control and that's certainly a factor Squeenix should take into consideration when planning next steps.

Also, what rebound in quality are you talking about? Type-0? I wouldn't call it great game tbh.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
Fallout 3 and Skyrim were as mass market as all the big FF´s were and at least Fallout fans (or Deus Ex) will go for VII too. They will need to with budgets these days...
I played Type Zero on my PSP and it is a fine game form a gameplay perspective if played that way. It is more importantly well written und has characters the fan base got behind as interest for more is certainly there. Who the hell wants more Lightning though but FFXIII-2 was actually a fine Star Ocean game so that is the one of the 3 i could get behind.
The company stagnated like crazy, milked with no respect to the source material or just vomited all over it as with Parasite Eve´s case, put Kingdom Hearts and so on on hold for decade if one is honest and their mobile strategy was not acceptable which was only backed up with Japan dedication to not evolve as a force in gaming as a whole but SE did acknowledge a lot this publicly too and the right people moved up during the last few years so the now very well have the chance to rejoin the mayor leagues.
Their dedication to the global market and current gen can´t be understated too but DQ also needs global love. I just hope that the FF X-3 "radio play" doesn´t go anywhere. WTF was that? @varmintx These too of course or Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:

Also, what rebound in quality are you talking about? Type-0? I wouldn't call it great game tbh.
Bravely Default, FFX HD, and A Realm Reborn.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Fallout 3 and Skyrim were as mass market as all the big FF´s were and at least Fallout fans (or Deus Ex) will go for VII too.

I don't think that's necessarily gonna happen, few people here and there, sure, why not, hardcore Fallout fans (same people who hate on 3 with passion) and DX fans...unlikely. Square has more chances to bring WRPG fans on board if they gonna remake XII, because judging by places like RPGWatch and Codex this is the only FF they actually like.
varmintx wrote:
Bravely Default, FFX HD, and A Realm Reborn.

Well, I was talking about home consoles, anyway, Bravely Default developed mostly by external studio, FFX is remaster of more than decade old game and A Realm Reborn is MMO (though, I agree, pretty good one).
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Assuming they stick to the core mechanics, tt's going to be the most non-linear Final Fantasy we've had in years.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
My dad was more excited about the news than I was Laughing

While I'll most likely play this at some point, I'm really hoping they do an upscale for XII at some point.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm Really happy about this. I kinda expected that the trailer was for FF7 because I notice the picture of the Life stream before they showed the trailer.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Every fan needs to read the fan-translated Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega as that one goes over all sorts of juice details.
Linkies??? Very Happy
residentgrigo wrote:

Cloud is further a way different character in the original game then in most of his other/countless appearances and not an angsty and introverted mess. Gamers who only know him form KH will be very surprised and Joseph Campbell approves.

Nomura said the comedic moments like the wall market 'miss cloud' stuff is in, so I can certainly hope they keep his character the same! Smile I too really didn't like how they changed him in AC. I SORT OF can buy that the weight of everything sorta got to him (esp Aerith's death, sometimes that sort of thing takes awhile to sink into a person). But I really wanna see him be the Zack wannabee / weak, sensitive dork he was in FF7. I have high hopes, they seemed to get his character right in CC for the most part (shy but sweet and idealistic youth).

And for the love of GOD I hope they get new dub voices, or at least let us turn them off / switch to Japanese. The english voices in AC were horribly out of character. Cloud is hella feminine, a super deep voice like Steve Burton's DOES NOT fit him at all. Aerith's was just a mess and Tifa was too mousey for a woman who owns a bar, commits acts of terrorism and punches robots lol. And making Cait Sith irish??? WTF? Only onse they really nailed was Reno, Zack & Barett, and Barett's not hard because he's essentially Mr. T (hopefully they make his character have a little more depth and less... stereotypical this time around.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5